AARP Medical Ins?

AARP Medical Ins?

This is a discussion on AARP Medical Ins? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have Blue Cross medical family insurance. Wife has medical condition that looks will need mtly or bimtly treatment for the rest of her life ...

Thread: AARP Medical Ins?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

AARP Medical Ins?

I have Blue Cross medical family insurance.

Wife has medical condition that looks will need mtly or bimtly treatment for the rest of her life that costs (AFTER Insurance pays) $300 to $600 per treatment out of OUR pocket. Every month - maybe every two months.

It's been suggested we look into getting AARP Insurance to help out with this.

Anyone here use AARP medical - any comments - contact name and number to call about it???

Thanks.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I don't know much about their coverage, but AARP is a very anti-gun organization.
    That said, if the coverage is useful, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I have Blue Cross medical family insurance.

Wife has medical condition that looks will need mtly or bimtly treatment for the rest of her life that costs (AFTER Insurance pays) $300 to $600 per treatment out of OUR pocket. Every month - maybe every two months.

It's been suggested we look into getting AARP Insurance to help out with this.

Anyone here use AARP medical - any comments - contact name and number to call about it???
    Don't know about aarp but I do know that a lot of pharmaceutical
    companies will help out and pick up a lot of the medical tab on these drugs. I have two step son's who are reps. They tell me a lot of companies will help. Go to a phamacy and get the numbers to these companies, which ever one makes the drugs for your wife's meds.

Good luck and I will put you and your wife on our prayer list
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 7th, 2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    I don't know much about their coverage, but AARP is a very anti-gun organization.
    That said, if the coverage is useful, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...
    What Arko said.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    I don't know the specifics of AARP insurance, but I would think it is designed to coordinate well with Medicare. I gather that since you are still with the Blues, that you are not yet old enough for Medicare, and therefore I would be very careful to double and triple check the AARP plan before jumping in, as you might get out of a slowly sinking boat and into a boat that is swamped.

I do not know where you are getting your policy from, but if you have the option to chose a different plan, e.g., GEHA if you are with Uncle, I would suggest considering that choice. In my experience The Blues didn't get the job done. There was always some excuse to cut benefits or deny claims. On average, I do not think they covered 50% of my out of pocket expenses when I was with them.

AARP insurance is through United Health Care Options. The wife and I have had it for several years. The plan we have has paid every cent that Medicare has not paid. It has been flawless. Every doctor we have been to with this coverage has said "no problems, no upfront payment required for co-pay of what Medicare will not pay." Expensive, yes but it works as I wanted it to. I hate insurance type paperwork and so far there has been none.
    Google is your friend.
    Yeah, I have a real problem with the AARP policies, in fact have written letters to them about same.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    I know that when my mom passed away from cancer, AARP insurance picked up all but I believe $100 or $200 of the medical bills.

As far as AARP's politics's they suck, very liberal and very anti gun, but I understand where your coming from. Just out of curiosity have you looked into what Tri-Care would cost and what your out of pocket woould be with them?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Make sure they cover pre-existing conditions. Find out what their lifetime cap is on payments.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Why don't you have tricare?
    I have medicare and tricare for life, with both I'm 100% covered.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I didn't have enough time in (to retire or get tricare) when they med-boarded me out for restrictions after injury in Iraq - requiring neck surgery.....

I was in almost 16 yrs and they retired me with 40% of BPay and I got to keep Tricare. Lucky for me the VA kicked in, but even with tricare I still have to pay 30% out of pocket for my wife.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Their anti-gun policies and other political lobbying efforts keep me from buying their insurance. I'm told its very good buy I just don't want to support their views.

Michael

Thanks for all your comments. Not gonna go with them. Besides finding out how anti they are - also just would not fit my circumstances.

Sponsored Links