The Unit - Page 2

The Unit

This is a discussion on The Unit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Miggy Rgr... it is a TV show, not a documentary. And I doubt pretty much that they have access to the real ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Rgr... it is a TV show, not a documentary. And I doubt pretty much that they have access to the real inner workings of the D-Boys so a measure of Hollywood BS will have to be accepted.
    Thanks for enlightening me.

They do have a line on real world stuff. Hollywood just wins out all too often in search of the almighty buck. Additionally, there are plenty of basic tactical resources they already have but don't use (that don't violate OPSEC).

I've heard this show called the new military version of Desperate Housewives.

Sure it's just TV and mine is just an opinion.

I don't have to accept any Hollywood BS broadcast in my own home. I can turn the TV off...as I did.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Unhappy Perception is everything....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Hmmm, maybe I missed something, I thought all TV shows were for entertainment??? The UNIT is entertaining. So is 24 and it's probably no more realistic than The UNIT. Same for NCIS. But they are entertaining, if not suspenseful and exciting.
    24 is in a class all by itself. It's also a groundbreaking concept. But for me it got very old after the first season.

The point for ME (regarding The Unit) is not the stupid plots and tactical errors. My problem is that a highly decorated and experienced senior NCO with a world of reputation in the SpecOps community has blown that by lending HIS NAME and therefore also the image of Delta Force by baldly stating that the show reflects his military experiences. If they do, we must be the laughing stock of the rest of the world's elite units. I can't imagine GSG9 OR THE SAS operating like that! I like the statement by Rgr5280 about it being the military version of "Desperate Housewives." That's what sells. In the end, the action scenes are a byplay to the sordid plots at home.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex...
    I beleive SGM Haney was in breach of his non-disclosure agreement when he wrote his book about SFOD-D. I have it on good authority that he was dropped from the unit rolls over this.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Hmmm, maybe I missed something, I thought all TV shows were for entertainment??? The UNIT is entertaining. So is 24 and it's probably no more realistic than The UNIT. Same for NCIS. But they are entertaining, if not suspenseful and exciting.
    +1 here
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    24 is in a class all by itself. It's also a groundbreaking concept. But for me it got very old after the first season.

The point for ME (regarding The Unit) is not the stupid plots and tactical errors. My problem is that a highly decorated and experienced senior NCO with a world of reputation in the SpecOps community has blown that by lending HIS NAME and therefore also the image of Delta Force by baldly stating that the show reflects his military experiences. If they do, we must be the laughing stock of the rest of the world's elite units. I can't imagine GSG9 OR THE SAS operating like that! I like the statement by Rgr5280 about it being the military version of "Desperate Housewives." That's what sells. In the end, the action scenes are a byplay to the sordid plots at home.
    And 24, be honest, is nothing more than a soap opera, unrealistic, repleat with personal relationships, etc.

As for plots, every season is the same, somebody has "infiltrated" CTU and is working for the enemy. Bauer breaks all the protocols; kills unarmed prisioners, shoots prisoners in interrogation and uses other forms of unauthorized torture and disobeys orders on a regular basis.

can't wait for both shows seasonal DVD's to come out...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Moderator
    Me too!

I record all of 'em - NCIS, The UNIT, and 24 because I can't watch them when they come on. Well, I can NCIS usually. I don't keep them, just record them, watch them and when the tape is full, I start over at the beginning.

I thought the first episode of The UNIT would have 1911 fans wetting their pants - remember the shoot-out on the plane? Even included a reload.

OD*
    Even included a reload.
    He needs to work on that though.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    He needs to work on that though.
    LOL! Yeah, it wasn't "operator" smooth by any means was it!

Love THE UNIT solely on its entertainment value.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    And 24, be honest, is nothing more than a soap opera, unrealistic, repleat with personal relationships, etc.
    As for plots, every season is the same, somebody has "infiltrated" CTU and is working for the enemy. Bauer breaks all the protocols; kills unarmed prisioners, shoots prisoners in interrogation and uses other forms of unauthorized torture and disobeys orders on a regular basis.
    Yeah, but it sure is fun to watch, it is by far my Favorite Show.
    Curry

The show is lame and cheezy

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeg
    The show is lame and cheezy.

24 or the Unit??
    Curry

Senior Moderator
    Well 24 is less cheezy, and while very entertaining, it has a lot of lameness also.

Neither are documentaries. They are purely for entertainment and ratings. I like 24 better than anything on TV except for Andy Griffeth of course.

JT
    24 is the best series on TV.

Lost is the second best.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links