The Unit

This is a discussion on The Unit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone besides me been watching "The Unit" I watched the first two episodes and it seems to be pretty good so far....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unit

Thumbs up The Unit

Has anyone besides me been watching "The Unit" I watched the first two episodes and it seems to be pretty good so far.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I caught a piece of the first one and it looked pretty good.

I'm going to have to find a remote for my VCR so I can start recording it.

I have been enjoying the E-Ring, but they haven't had it on for like a month now.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Caught the first couple, including last night, I like, makes a good show to follow NCIS. Both shows make for a good tuesday night at home.
    Curry

VIP Member
    I've watched all three episodes and I am afraid this one might not last long. That seems to happen with shows I consider good from a technical standpoint and low on BS.
    Last night's episode was good from a tactical point of view (then again wth do I know, right?) How they deconstructed what happened inside the killhouse till they found out what went wrong and then go over and over till they got it right was just amazingly educational.
    And I do want to be sent to a range to spend hours upon hours and thousands of rounds perfecting my headshots till my hand bleeds
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I really enjoyed the first two but I missed last night's 'cause I forgot to program the VCR...grrrrr
    I really liked the takedown of the plane in the first episode, it seemed to track pretty well with what I've read and heard about those types of operations.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

haven't see it yet, as I'm, out quite a bit ..........but hope to catch it sometime
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Seriously?

A new kid joins the 'Unit'. Goes on a trip to Idaho with the 'Unit' Sergeant Major (who he calls 'Top'). They visit a former 'Unit' member who has been injured and is now a master armorer who happens to have one last custom, silenced .22 left that he gives to the new guy.
    Hostages are taken on a plane in...Idaho. How convenient. However, other members of the team are needed so they HAHO (Hi-Alt, Low-opening) onto the airfield about 50 feet from the FBI and waiting 'Unit' Sergeant Major who calls out 'Don't shoot they're the good guys' or something like that.

New guy takes out enemy spotters on a nearby hillside (with some 'Rangers' he picks up at the airfeild) with his new silenced .22, a knife and a few cool guy moves.

I stopped watching after this.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

1943 - 2009
    I couldn't watch the 3rd episode last night. The 2nd episode wasn't too bad. I agree with rgr5280, that first episode was pretty far-fetched. I had to chuckle about the scenario where they were arguing about suspending the Posse Comitatus Act. An FBI agent and a NG OIC have the authority to do this? Only in Hollywood.

I also think the show's producers should tone down or cut back on all the touchy-feely scenes of the Unit wives.

OTOH, the Unit's pistol of choice is the 1911. Can't be all bad.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Guess I missed the second one and didn't know it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Rgr... it is a TV show, not a documentary. And I doubt pretty much that they have access to the real inner workings of the D-Boys so a measure of Hollywood BS will have to be accepted.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm very much afraid that a far superior show E-Ring has bitten the dust because of this. I liked E-Ring a lot better.

My agent is getting me "The Bible" for this show (The Unit) so I can submit some episodes, but I don't think it's going to last long enough. You know the really SAD thing CSM (ret) Eric Haney has attached his name to this thing and has a blog wherein he asserts all the stories are based on his personal experiences in counter terrorism. Eric Haney is the former SGM for Delta Force and wrote a good book called "INSIDE DELTA FORCE."

Okay, here beginneth the rambling rant: You've got a Commander sleeping with the wife of one of his operators and he's probably not even the first one in the line! The boss keeps sending hubby on deployments to get him out of the way. You've got a new recruit who joined up "FROM THE CAV" and in his first mission is given the role of "sniper" but he uses a silenced pistol to take down all three subjects -- well one I guess gets killed with a knife. When a BG gets hit with a 45 he's literally BLOWN off his feet like a mine went off under him. The sergeant major is referred to as "sergeant" and "Top" and he's so stressed he puts two rounds from a hot 45 into a mirror image of himself at home? Where was the previously attached hushpuppy? You going to leave the gun "hot" leave the "can" attached! You've got a trio of wives with major problems, one slut, one with an overactive mama syndrome (SGM's wife) and one pregnant who tends to run off at the mouth to her family over the phone. OH and the cover for ALL of this is a benign looking "LOGISTICS OUTFIT?" IRL, any new LOG outfit on any base is going to be overrun with weenies looking to scrounge and make deals for their units. I know, I used to be a logistics puke at the upper end of the chain. "Oh my husband was in the cavalry but now he's a clerk?" Gag me with a chainsaw. Still I have a good idea that almost sold to THE WEST WING a few years ago, that I can modify for this.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; March 23rd, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs down Sorry, Miggy....not this time....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Rgr... it is a TV show, not a documentary. And I doubt pretty much that they have access to the real inner workings of the D-Boys so a measure of Hollywood BS will have to be accepted.
    Miggy, you'd be wrong. Go to the website for the show...the official CBS website. One of the co-producers is:CSM (ret) Eric Haney. He (Haney) has a blog that's part of the main site, wherein he asserts all the stories are based on his personal experiences in counter terrorism. Eric Haney is the former SGM for Delta Force and wrote a good book called "INSIDE DELTA FORCE." I think he sold out for the $$$$
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Eric Haney is the former SGM for Delta Force and wrote a good book called "INSIDE DELTA FORCE." I think he sold out for the $$$$
    Another recent discussion questioned the actions and motives of Eric Haney...

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=7236
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Angry Oh No....

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Another recent discussion questioned the actions and motives of Eric Haney...

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=7236
    He did. He sold out. That explains the artrocity of THE UNIT. I'll bet they pay him for his rep and all of the stories are generated by civvie writers, which is good for me...maybe I can get one in.....

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, maybe I missed something, I thought all TV shows were for entertainment??? The UNIT is entertaining. So is 24 and it's probably no more realistic than The UNIT. Same for NCIS. But they are entertaining, if not suspenseful and exciting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links