iPhone vs. Blackberry

iPhone vs. Blackberry

This is a discussion on iPhone vs. Blackberry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I currently own a Blackberry, but I am thinking about going to the dark side and getting an iPhone. Just wanted to take a quick ...

View Poll Results: Do you prefer an iPhone or Blackberry?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone

25 50.00%
  • Blackberry

25 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

iPhone vs. Blackberry

I currently own a Blackberry, but I am thinking about going to the dark side and getting an iPhone. Just wanted to take a quick survey.

Did some Google searches and gosh, this is more passionate than Chevy vs. Ford; Glock vs. XD/Sig/1911/etc.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I prefer life without a cell phone at all. I haven't carried a cell phone in over 18 months and life has never been better. No $100 monthly bill, no inopportune interruptions, no ability to be tracked relentlessly by everyone in your directory. I just took a leap of faith and got into the way-back-machine and took a trip back to the 80's, a time when people left messages for you at work or on your answering machine.

Now I can take my better half out to dinner and give her the undivided attention she deserves. I can go to the store without having to solve someone elses problem while I am shopping. I can go to the range and not have to justify my actions to anyone but myself. Life goes too fast, I needed to slow it down a notch and the cell phone was the first place to start, and in retrospect, it was the best. Now I can carry an extra mag where once a cellphone resided.

Ive got a blackberry storm and really like it. It has the newest os on it though. To me its more function. The i-phone has alot more apps but most of them dont do anything useful. You may already know this but check out crackberry.com for alot of tips and tricks. I havent heard alot of good things about att's service either. Dont know though.

CrackBerry! CrackBerry! CrackBerry!

Then again I suppose I'm slightly biased. I like having a device I know I can fix if it happens to go lulu since I used to work on them as part of my job function.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I carry cell phones/smart phone for my convience, not everyone elses. I screen my calls and only look at my email when I am on call for that week. Otherwise it is for emergencys. I really do not want to be teathered to anything.

If I am in the middle of a conversation and my phone goes off, I just silence it. If it is that important to get a hold of me, then leave a message.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Did some Google searches and gosh, this is more passionate than Chevy vs. Ford; Glock vs. XD/Sig/1911/etc.
    If you hit a 800lb black bear in the pinky with a .45 it will spin him around backwards and the concussion will....

Oh yea sorry this is the crack berry/iphone one :)

The question is more what do you want it for, portable business or portable entertainment. For a businessman the Blackberry in far more business directed apps and support. For movies, music, and general entertainment the I-Phone is far better.

Legal Disclaimer: Donít shoot a bear with a .45 or less you might piss it off. Iím just sayin.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I prefer life without a cell phone at all. I haven't carried a cell phone in over 18 months and life has never been better. No $100 monthly bill, no inopportune interruptions, no ability to be tracked relentlessly by everyone in your directory. I just took a leap of faith and got into the way-back-machine and took a trip back to the 80's, a time when people left messages for you at work or on your answering machine.

Now I can take my better half out to dinner and give her the undivided attention she deserves. I can go to the store without having to solve someone elses problem while I am shopping. I can go to the range and not have to justify my actions to anyone but myself. Life goes too fast, I needed to slow it down a notch and the cell phone was the first place to start, and in retrospect, it was the best. Now I can carry an extra mag where once a cellphone resided.
    Well I for one give you tons of credit.. I thought about doing this, but with my kids and all, I need them to be able to get ahold of me anytime.. I keep my phone on vibrate 90% of the time and will not answer a number I don't know. They can leave a message and I will call them back.. So I'm ok with it all but the cost monthly.. But then again I don't have a home phone, so really what am I out? That is the other reason I keep it,. Oh to have the peaceful life that once was before computers and cel phones and computerized cars,.. Oh what peace.. LOL

Meh, neither, I prefer a regular ol' plain jane Cellular Phone.

Of the two options I voted iPhone. I HATE Blackberry, I have supported them since they hit the market and I personally think they suck.

I carry one for work and that is only because I am forced to as the Manager. I sold my iPhone only because since I have a work provided mobile phone I could not justify an $80 a month mobile phone bill. I could not convert it as my Work uses Verizon and I was told that if I converted my number the company owned it and I would never get it back.

That said, I would still have my iPhone if it weren't for work.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I voted iPhone. I recently bought the new 3GS. I bought it so I can start making iPhone $$$ on app development. The AT&T network is not as good at the Verizon network, but I'll stick with it for now. Plus my employer gets a discount for service.

Only thing I have used it for is app development, videoing my 2yo boy and browsing dc.com.

I do hate the whole twitter/facebook/blog/IM/messaging crap. When people message me on my phone I immediately call them back and tell them that if I am not important enough to talk to, then I am not important enough to message to.

However, I am very impressed with Apple software, the iPhone and the MAC OS X operating system. And that is from someone with years experience in windows/unix. The development toolset (objective-C and cocoa touch) is kind of dated, but it works.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I only voted for the Blackberry because the AT&T network sucks (not as bad as Sprint, but still).

Senior Moderator
    I rarely used the phone portion of my iPhone but let me tell you, I used the rest of the phone ALL THE TIME! The map feature was a life saver, especially when you get as lost as much as I do and you move as often as we have. I also loved being able to upload games and some other silly stuff whenever I wanted to.

I tried both my husband's blackberry and my sisters and I didn't find them nearly as easy to navigate and use.

I vote for the iPhone.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I use a BlackBerry and would not trade it for the world I like the idea of being able to check my email on the go and having access to my email for work and school as I am mostly never home.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    If you need a communication device it seems the BlackBerry is better. If you need location stuff on your BlackBerry you can use Google Maps. All our I-Phone users want BlackBerrys, all but one of our BlackBerry users want to keep their BlackBerrys. The one thinks I-Phones are cool, and is young enough to care about being cool. Not being pejorative, just reporting on our 30+ users at my office.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If you need a communication device it seems the BlackBerry is better. If you need location stuff on your BlackBerry you can use Google Maps. All our I-Phone users want BlackBerrys, all but one of our BlackBerry users want to keep their BlackBerrys. The one thinks I-Phones are cool, and is young enough to care about being cool. Not being pejorative, just reporting on our 30+ users at my office.
    About the communication tools, I think iPhone has good communication, just not the exhaustive integration with corporate tools (which is what the corp users want). the new 3GS has VPN support and MS Exchange support. It also supports IMAP email, so your email can be synced from iPhone to other devices. (I don't know if previous versions of iPhone had this).

One thing I found I did not like while playing with the blackberries was that my sausage fingers had a hard time pressing the correct key.

My wife wants the blackberry storm due to the fact that it comes on the verizon network.

No matter how many iPhones I am around, I'll never be cool. And since I am paying for it with my own $, I'll stick with the iPhone. But truth be told, my iPhone is quite underutilized right now.

Last random thought, none of the current smartphones have the great Palm graffiti input. I am so much more efficient with the stylus and graffiti than other means of input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links