Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? - Page 3

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

This is a discussion on Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Inverted99 Regulate their hunting like any other predator, just like Coyotes, Bobcat, Mountain Lion, Fox etc.. Sorry, I just don't get hunting ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted99 View Post
    Regulate their hunting like any other predator, just like Coyotes, Bobcat, Mountain Lion, Fox etc..
    Sorry, I just don't get hunting predators on public land.

If you're protecting your herd or flock (or family, or self) by taking out threats on your property (or a neighbor's, with permission) fine. Even then, I think I'd try to make dog food out of them.

Hunting an animal you don't intend to eat (or donate to the hungry) just seems flat out wrong. What's the point of killing a critter no one is going to eat? If it's the stalk, get a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post

If you're protecting your herd or flock (or family, or self) by taking out threats on your property (or a neighbor's, with permission) fine. Even then, I think I'd try to make dog food out of them.

Hunting an animal you don't intend to eat (or donate to the hungry) just seems flat out wrong. What's the point of killing a critter no one is going to eat? If it's the stalk, get a camera.
    You are entitled to your beliefs, isn't America great, does not change the fact that hunting predators is legal and some have a different viewpoint than yours. My county has a bounty on Coyotes this year, what does that tell you? After shooting a Coyote it is legal to leave the carcass, the carcass gives an easy meal to many other creatures of the forest, how is that different than grinding it up and feeding dogs as you suggest? How has the Squirrel hunting been for you? Take care...Jeff

VIP Member

Animals don't respect property lines. Animals can overpopulate the parks and overflow to the surrounding areas. More importantly they are not stupid. They will learn, after a few get shot, to stay in the confines of the "safe zone" (park) by day and raid outlying areas after dark.

That is why their numbers need to be checked on public land too.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    FYI: you're not supposed to feed predator to your dogs. (Same reason I won't feed coon to mine.) They're too closely related and therefore you run the risk of feeding them an animal that may carry parvo/distemper/rabies/corona, etc.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Ok, ok, there may be some good reasons to cull them. Just not my cup of tea.

Last year was good (not great) for squirrels. Some early trips (scouting while fishing) this year indicate we should expect a good year. Bought a new smoker in anticipation.

Last year was good (not great) for squirrels. Some early trips (scouting while fishing) this year indicate we should expect a good year. Bought a new smoker in anticipation.
    Fair enough and I respect that, thanks for the discussion.

Smoked squirrel huh? I bet I have not eaten Squirrel in 15 years, you have renewed my interest in it, there are plenty around my house! Might have to search for some recipes. Take care...Jeff

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I happen to live in the area where wolves were re-introduced, at the insistence of many fine nature-loving folks who don't live here where the wolves were re-introduced.

Aside from the sheep, cattle and calves the wolves eat (the wolves, during calving season will wait until the mother cows lay down to give birth and then will eat the young calves as the calves are being born), the wolves had literally decimated the elk herds in this region.

I agree that they are beautiful animals, and that this is a complex and multi-faceted issue, but as a quick breeding predator, they need to be appropriately managed--and this means hunting them or sterilizing a significant number of them.

Hey Scott,
    What part of this great state are you in?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

VIP Member

You need to come up to PA. You could drive home with a truck full of squirrels for smoking.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    FYI: you're not supposed to feed predator to your dogs.
    What about feeding predator to humans? Any bad side-effects known, there?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What about feeding predator to humans? Any bad side-effects known, there?
    Dunno, I don't eat raw meat, only raw seafood. You'd think I would know this. Theoretically, as long as the meat has been prepared in such a way that it will destroy the pathogens, I think you ought to be ok. The problem is that certain pathogens, like BSE (mad cow) are able to survice at very high temperatures, so even if we cook the meat, we are still vulnerable to infection. Rabies can be transmitted through saliva, so if you get any on you while preparing the food, and you have a cut where it can get into your bloodstream, that's bad. And Lepto is via urine, so if you're gutting the cavity of your dinner and scooping out all the innerds, like the bladder or kidneys, you run the risk of immediate exposure there as well. Not to be an alarmist or anything. I'd say just be aware of what's common to raccoons, squirrels, possum, etc, and then proper prep methods to kill off any infectious diseases so that you can really enjoy your meal and not get sick from it. Lepto and Rabies are the ones to really worry about, I don't think distemper can infect humans.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Interesting that the parts the wolves most enjoy are those we consider 'specialty' pieces*, while the muscles we call steak are apparently not a wolf's first choice for dining.

I think of falconry for squirrels and wonder whether a wolf might be trained to hunt deer ... or not.

*translation: most folks don't eat them
    I don't see why not, but even if you did, you would most likely run into legal issues.

What they could start doing is training collars. Instead of attaching tracking collars and various tags to the wolves when the game folks play catch and release, they could attach training/shock collars to them. Then the cattle folks would put up a transmitter on their property somewhere and any wolf with the collar that got within x distance of the property would get popped repeatedly until it backed away.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    What they could start doing is training collars. ... Then the cattle folks would put up a transmitter on their property....
    Ya know, that isn't a bad idea. Wouldn't work (battery life and pups) but it's an idea.

Wolves, bears, cougar etc. somehow survived for eons before we (humans) decided to extinguish them in the last 100 years. Just how did they all survive without our keen oversight? I think that farmers should be reimbursed at market rate for their losses, but I do not condone hunting them. Now because many natural predators have been removed from the ecosystem the deer population has exploded.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

My neighborhood is infested with deer, we could use some wolves.

Squirrel Hunter,
    Wolves hunt in packs, as fast as deer are ,I'd imagine it takes a great deal of terrain , strategy, and luck for them to catch a healthy one. You'd have better luck hunting with a Falcon for squirrels. There are still Falconers, not many but some. Every now and then you'll see something on TV .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links