Obese Account for Greatest Jump in Healthcare Spending...Jumped 80% in 5 years!

This is a discussion on Obese Account for Greatest Jump in Healthcare Spending...Jumped 80% in 5 years! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Once the government gets the money, it rarely gets spent on what they tell us when they take it. Like the billions being paid into ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Obese Account for Greatest Jump in Healthcare Spending...Jumped 80% in 5 years!

Once the government gets the money, it rarely gets spent on what they tell us when they take it.
    Like the billions being paid into government coffers by the tobacco companies as part of the litigation settlement several years ago.

They spent it like drunk sailors on shore leave (no offense intended to my Navy friends)............

2. Remove Ads

My biggest problem with the government getting their hands on any kind of money is that it never ends up where they intend or tell the taxpayer, as Thanis has pointed out. Down here in Texas, they sold the lottery as public educations' savior, and a way to lower our property taxes which some of the highest in the country; it passed.

Where did the money go? Into the state's general fund, which is nothing more than a general rathole that taxpayer money is poured into never to be seen again......

And public education? still under-performing and still underfunded......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I would rather have a sales tax then a property tax.
    There is going to be a tax on everything. Once you let them get a foot in the door by saying, "I don't mind a tax on tobacco." they will keep passing more and more.
    They use the money to buy votes, so there is never enough.
    It's like asking an addict to be disciplined.
    I support a flat tax, and it will never happen, because it takes the power away from congress, even though it would raise twice the revenue that the current system provides.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    And public education? still under-performing and still underfunded......
    Underfunded? That's a good one. I'll bet you don't know what the budget of your state department of education is. Let's say this, The school system in Washington DC spends more per pupil than anywhere else in the country. And every day the school board thanks Mississippi for keeping them from being the worst schools in the country.
    Why is it that the states that spend the most don't have the best schools? Hmmm? And the states with the best schools don't spend the most. Maybe it's not about money after all, but the greed never stops.

VIP Member

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

The problem is not the "sin tax" for me, but serious concern that the funds will never actually be used for health care.
    That is exactly the way I see it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links