Pending legislation

This is a discussion on Pending legislation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know which thread to put this in. Tell me what you think of this: This is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Pay ...

Thread: Pending legislation

Pending legislation

I don't know which thread to put this in. Tell me what you think of this:

This is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Pay close attention to the wording especially anything that says "as determined by the Attorney General".. Also the bottom section regarding online activity. Folks if this passes, no one that's attended a tea party or 9.12 project or even participated online in regards to them would be eligible for the military. Nor would they be retained in the military if already serving. Basically it could include anyone "as determined by the Attorney General". This is a takeover.
    H.R. 2647 has already passed the house and this was amended to it. I don't know when Congress will be voting on it but if anyone else does please let everyone know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEC. 524. PROHIBITION ON RECRUITMENT, ENLISTMENT, OR RETENTION OF PERSONS ASSOCIATED OR AFFILIATED WITH GROUPS ASSOCIATED WITH HATE-RELATED VIOLENCE AGAINST GROUPS OR PERSONS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

Section 504 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

‘(c) Persons Associated or Affiliated With Hate Groups-

‘(1) PROHIBITION- A person associated or affiliated with a group associated with hate-related violence against groups or persons or the United States Government, as determined by the Attorney General, may not be recruited, enlisted, or retained in the armed forces.

‘(2) DEFINITION OF HATE GROUP- In this subsection, the terms ‘group associated with hate-related violence’ or ‘hate group’ mean the following:

‘(A) Groups or organizations that espouse or engage in acts of violence against other groups or minorities based on ideals of hate, ethnic supremacies, white supremacies, racism, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, or other bigotry ideologies.

‘(B) Groups or organizations engaged in criminal gang activity including drug and weapons trafficking and smuggling.

‘(C) Groups or organizations that espouse an intention or expectation of armed revolutionary activity against the United States Government, or the violent overthrow of the United States Government.

‘(D) Groups or organizations that espouse an intention or expectation of armed activity in a ‘race war’.

‘(E) Groups or organizations that encourage members to join the armed forces in order to obtain military training to be used for acts of violence against minorities, other groups, or the United States Government.

‘(F) Groups or organizations that espouse violence based on race, creed, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

‘(G) Other groups or organizations that are determined by the Attorney General to be of a violent, extremist nature.

‘(3) EVIDENCE OF ASSOCIATION OR AFFILIATION WITH HATE GROUP- The following shall constitute evidence that a person is associated or affiliated with a group associated with hate-related violence:

‘(A) Individuals possessing tattoos or other body markings indicating association or affiliation with a hate group.

‘(B) Individuals known to have attended meetings, rallies, conferences, or other activities sponsored by a hate group.

‘(C) Individuals known to be involved in online activities with a hate group, including being engaged in online discussion groups or blog or other postings that support, encourage, or affirm the group’s extremist or violent views and goals.

‘(D) Individuals who are known to have in their possession photographs, written testimonials (including diaries or journals), propaganda, or other materials indicating involvement or affiliation with a hate group. Such materials can include photographs, written materials relating to or referring to extreme hatred that are clearly not of an academic nature, possession of objects that venerate or glorify hate-inspired violence, and related materials, as determined by the Attorney General.

‘(E) Individuals espousing the intent to acquire military training for the purpose of using such training towards committing acts of violence of a purpose not affiliated with the armed forces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a link to this particular section on the bill. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billt <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext..xpd?bill=h111-2647&version=eh&nid=t0%3Aeh%3A149> ext.xpd
    <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-2647&version=eh&nid=t0%3Aeh%3A149> The bill is very large and will take some time to load.

Seems like a 1st amendment attack to me
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

This is the first time I've read any kind pending legislation where I don't know where to start to critique. Really!

According to this legislation you can do any one of a number of things to get yourself in hot water if you are active duty military. And the "as determined by the Attorney General." does make me very nervous. Since when is the AG the authority to decide who does & doesn't meet the criteria to serve in the military? This legislation can be interpreted in too many ways to get anyone in trouble based upon a great many activities. If you blog on a blog site, attend a TEA party, etc. Just when you think the government can't be more intrusive in your life this type legislation rears it's ugly head! Can it get much worse??? I hope not! I'm going to read this more fully and see where this may go for anyone who is within the scope of authority this bill will assume.

This is scary stuff!!! All the time while reading it I kept saying, "Oh my Gosh, Oh my gosh, etc." Amazing!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Won't be long they'll have the gas chambers operating to silence the patriots.

Here is what info I can find on this in a short order.

http://alturl.com/o6pg

Alcee Hastings’ Amendment Prevents ‘Hate Groups’ in Armed Services, But Who Determ

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2647

You better believe that this is getting emailed to everyone I know. This is suspiciously similar to the thoughts crime bill of a 2007

Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Man, this is looking more and more like WW2 Germany. We even have a law that could be used to recruit kids.
    Welcome to Serve.gov

I understand that this may have been taken out of context. BUT, a piece of a puzzle may look like an innocent piece of cardboard, until it is all put together as a whole. I was against and in some ways am still against President and his un-American Exec Orders etc, but holy dog exhaust, the pieces are adding up and falling together and it is painting a really treasonous picture.

Study the subtle changes on Germany, there are definite parallels.

So this is how freedom dies, with thunderous applause...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Well I have posted this to my Congressman's Face Book page as well as email it to him and Senators tester and Baucus. I'll post replies as
    I get them. This could be totally redundant to already extant bills or taken out of context, or it can be exactly what it looks like.

An amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 has caught my attention and I am currently researching it. It is Section 504 of title 10, United States Code, in particular, the amendment at the end, to wit: SEC. 524. PROHIBITION ON RECRUITMENT, ENLISTMENT, OR RETENTION OF PERSONS ASSOCIATED OR AFFILIATED WITH GROUPS ASSOCIATED WITH HATE-RELATED VIOLENCE AGAINST GROUPS OR PERSONS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

This has overtones of an amendment that could VERY easily be misconstrued as a bill that criminalize a service member's affiliation with groups that are for the Constitution and are legal and just prior to this bill, yet may go against the US A.G.'s point of view.

As I have just this evening started researching this, I want your enlightened point of view on this. Please share the correct information on this publicly.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

This is the email I received from Congressman Rehberg. I must admit, it is VERY sensible. I am really impressed with his response.
    Thus far, I have yet to hear from Senators tester and Baucus. Emphasis is added by me.

July 17, 2009

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 (LLEHCPA). It's good to hear from you.

This legislation defines a hate crime as a willful act causing "bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any person."

LLEHCPA increases penalties for hate crimes and expands the definition to include crimes motivated by a victim's actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. It also removes the requirement that hate crime victims be engaged in a federally-protected activity, such as voting, and gives federal authorities increased resources to investigate hate crimes that local authorities decline to pursue.

The motive behind a criminal's actions should not determine the punishment, and by offering increased protection to certain groups, the federal government is reversely offering decreased protection to others. As witnessed by other countries pursuing similar paths, hate crimes legislation lays the legal foundation for investigating and prosecuting religious leaders and private citizens who choose to exercise their right to speak freely against certain activities or lifestyles. This preemption of state law and expansion of federal jurisdiction further contributes to the erosion of state and local governance.

Despite advancements in our criminal justice system, many violent criminals still go unpunished and their victims never receive justice. By enforcing laws already in place, those involved in committing crimes will face the consequences of their actions. All violent criminals should be punished to the full extent of the law-no matter what the motive-and that's why I oppose this legislation. Nobody deserves to be the victim of a violent crime, and I remain committed to providing Montana's law enforcement agencies with the tools needed to prosecute criminals, regardless of their motivation.

LLEHCPA has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. While I'm not a member of this committee, I will keep your thoughts in mind if this bill comes before the House of Representatives.

Thanks for contacting me about the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act. If you get a chance, I encourage you to visit my website at Congressman Denny Rehberg : Home where you can find the latest news about what's happening in Congress. Also, if you haven't already done so, please be sure to sign up for my free E-Newsletter at Congressman Denny Rehberg : Home which will help keep you up-to-date with what is going on in Washington, D.C. and how it affects Montana. It's a good source for news stories, blog posts and to read what other Montanans just like you are saying.

Sincerely,
    Denny Rehberg
    Montana's Congressman

Patrick Henry

Links