Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

This is a discussion on Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

2. Remove Ads

My personal preference would be a Pit. I would second that with a Boxer. Pits seem to be both tolerant of the typical children behavior of the tail pulling, ear pulling, eye gouging antics and EXTREMELY protective of them. They're extremely active and live to play. They're also not too big nor too small...just right(my female is a solid 65lbs at 3.5 yrs old). Here's lilly from about a year ago:

...This one should give you a better idea of the size and is from about a month ago.

I haven't owned a boxer myself, but I have had a number of friends over the years that swear by them for their children/family settings. They seem to be extremely tolerant as well...and goofy
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Boxers are great family dogs, it's part of the breed to love kids and be tolerant of them. They are excellent companions, funny, sweet, and have very expressive faces,some of them darn near talk...lol.They are also what's called a thinking guard dog, once they know someone is ok, they are ok. If you can, get two, one will definitely have more energy than you, a dog buddy to play with is always nice for them, They play pretty rough with other dogs sometimes, and other dogs might not like it ,but another Boxer will .
    Whatever dog you get, the house training is on you, If a dog goes in the house it's your fault, They can't wait forever and they do give signs. I've always taught mine to scratch the door, some have even woken me up when they need to go. They give signals, learn to read them. They learn best with positive reinforcement, never hitting, or getting angry with them.
    Also, leave the puppy with the mother a minimum of eight weeks, even longer is better.
    Great post... I do not know first handed about boxers but many are very happy with them.

Any dog you do get though will respond better with plenty of love and attention rather than negative responses. I'll add to try not to train with them for more than 15 minutes at a time, you lose their attention and they will resist to whatever you are saying.

Good luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Packin, that top pic is just too funny. Looks like a real sweet dog.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have a 1 yr old collie named Jack. He is very intelligent and protective. He has a deep loud bark. He will bark if someone is walking by on the road which is 600 ft for my house. Every now and then he will go to the front door and look out the window just to survey what's going on.

My neighbor has boxers if they are out they always come down to the street to check me out when I walk by their house.

VIP Member
    Dogs are great....not only for the protection, but also for the company.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

That picture is hilarious ! Did he eat his way down to the bottom ?
    Not as bad as it could have been, he ate his way through the last 3 or 4 inches. Luckily he has a stomach of steel!

I like him a lot and best guess is he is a boxer/pit mix. I would not recommend that for someone who specified a mostly indoor dog though. If I can find a picture on my work computer I will show you what it looks like when a dog tears off a hollow-core door and spends all day turning it into splinters. He got locked in the basement, must have hit the door hard enough to break it, and then spent the rest of the day shredding the evidence. I love both the breeds, but my next dog is totally going to be a couch potato. I am still thinking retired greyhound.

Boxers are great family dogs, it's part of the breed to love kids and be tolerant of them. They are excellent companions, funny, sweet, and have very expressive faces,some of them darn near talk...lol.They are also what's called a thinking guard dog, once they know someone is ok, they are ok. If you can, get two, one will definitely have more energy than you, a dog buddy to play with is always nice for them, They play pretty rough with other dogs sometimes, and other dogs might not like it ,but another Boxer will .
    The dog in my pic has the muscles required to smile, which I think came from the boxer genes. Cracks me up every time. Boxers are great dogs, but do you think they are calm enough for what he is looking for?

I am looking into adopting a pure bred German Shepard. Not only are they beautiful but they are fiercely loyal and are invaluable guard dogs.

I am convinced that economic conditions are going to worsen that will lead to an increase in crime. I say, if these criminals make an attempt to invade my home, they will say hello to Fido and Kimber!

How far do you want to go?

I went all in. I wanted a protection dog. I wanted a dog with proven parents . I wanted a stable , brave and loveing family companion , that came with ingrained protection instincts wich were groomed to a high level of performance. I spent the money that was required to achieve one of the best dogs I have ever owned.

Im sure there are people that will argue one way or another .What worked for me and what I will purchase again is a Presa Canairo. Red Star kennels has been breeding some of the best working Presas for a long time. Great animals . I loved mine dearly.

Most people love the dog they have, which tells me that any properly socialized dog will please an owner. We have always had purebreds: a lab, a German Shepherd Dog, and a Siberian Huskey. All were great dogs with different skills, attitudes, and levels of nuttiness. Three months ago (and after being without a dog for a couple of years) we rescued a one year old German Shepherd/Pit/Huskey mix. She has amazing guard and "people judgement" skills, and is just a terrific dog to have around. She is playful, calm, loyal, watchful, and quick to respond to anyone or anything that comes up our driveway without any over-agressiveness. However, I would not like to be the person coming up here with trouble on his mind. Her confidence has grown immensely in short time and she obviously takes her job of watching over her property very seriously. Sorry for all the blather, but I just want to assure anyone considering a mixed breed dog that sometimes you get the perfect combination of attributes without the cost of having a purebred. We couldn't be happier with her and she seems to be very greatful for a good home and people who take good care of her.

VIP Member
    My lab....
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I have two GSD's and will never own another breed. GSD's are typically rated #1 for the combination of trainability (intelligence) and protective instincts. Border Collies are typically rated as the smartest, that is why you see a lot of them in obedience trial competitions.

The Top 10 Smartest Dog Breeds In The World

Top 10 Best Guard Dog Breeds

When you combine the two categories GSD's come out on top.

As for kids/little ones, that all depends on how you raise the puppy. My female GSD comes from german working stock and weighs in around 115#. I can give her a steak, let her chomp on it for awhile, and then put my hand in her mouth and take it back with no food agression whatsoever. My male is pretty much the same, except he was a rescue and seems very grateful to have a loving home.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Mercedes on the left, Mickey on the right.

Here is Mercedes playing:

Bottom line is, most everyone will tell you that the particular breed of dog that they own is the best. A lot of it comes down to how you train the puppy, but there also needs to be some natural instinct and ability to build on. For me, a GSD is the best.

When choosing a breed you need to make sure that you can provide the requisite amount of attention, exercise, etc that your particular breed needs. A high maintenance dog that is bored can easily become a problem dog.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Personally as far as working drive, being good with kids, highly intelligent, and a natural protection (NOT ATTACK) instinct, I would vote Mastiff (English and Spanish are my two favorites), GSD, Rottie, and Cane Corso. Depends on the size of the kids though with a CC, Great Dane, etc. Their size alone, they can step on or knock over a small child quite by accident.

Use an ENZYME-BASED CLEANER to get rid of any lingering odors that may encourage a new dog to soil the old area. Try rescue if you can. If not, email me on what to look for in a breeder if you must use a breeder. Don't fall in love with a cute puppy face, do your research and remain steadfast in your resolve. Rescued older dogs are fantastic and don't have the nonsense that comes with puppies, but there are issues that come with rescue as well. I just authored a paper that is now a handout for some rescue groups, email me with your email addy and I'll send it to you so you can get an idea of the pros AND CONS of a rescue dog. I also have a recommended reading list if you plan to do any training. And even of you don't, please do the Petsmart basic course. It's $99 or less with proof of rescue, and working with your dog at any basic class really strengthens the bond and reinforces your pack position as a strong alpha, without having to do much more than show up in class and follow directions :)

sharis12032@gmail.com
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Oh Brady, you're next door to me! Well if you need rescue contacts, I have plenty! And if you adopt from any of the rescues I work with (English Mastiff, DDB, or Dane / All-breed) you get a free initial consultation/training session. And if you decide to keep the dog and you get any behavior issues or need any help in training basics, I pledge a 6 week free course as long as you commit to keeping the orphan. (That's about $600 worth of in-home, personal training work with you and your dog.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links