Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense - Page 3

Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

This is a discussion on Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a friend rescue a dog yesterday. I rescued one 7 months ago. Saving a life is a great thing to do!!!!...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I had a friend rescue a dog yesterday. I rescued one 7 months ago. Saving a life is a great thing to do!!!!

Does this count ?
    Attached Images
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Go to the pound, directly to the pound. You can find nearly any breed or combination thereof and save a fine animal from getting put down.

When you get a dog from a shelter, it often has already been given many of the required shots, and may include a coupon for a reduced price on the spay/neuter. My last pound puppy even came with a free bag of dog food.

Since your new best friend will cost so much less than one from a dog breeder, you might think about getting two, or perhaps making a donation of part of your savings.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My experience in dogs... I love Kerry Blue Terriers and they are absolutely great with kids, protective of their family, and afraid of nothing. However, they are terriers and when young will chew.

The 2 best dogs I've seen.... that would die before they would let anyone try to harm one of their family.... yet, extremely well minded and lovable, has been a White German Shephard and a Siberian Husky. The Siberian would have to rank # 1 in being good with kids, protective of them, etc.

The Siberian my son had, ending up becoming mine when he had to move to an apt, etc.... and a great dog. He came from the dog pound. He also, one day got out and was 'running the neighborhood' and we went looking for him. Long story short, some unknown guy tried to grab a young girl and drag her into his car.... the Siberian .... seeing / hearing her scream... landed in the middle of the guy's chest and would not let him approach the girl... even tho he kept trying to grab the girl and get to her, the Siberian would not let him. The dog finally latched into the calf of his leg and wouldn't let go. We got a call from the Police telling us they had the dog, and told us the whole story of what had gone on.

Remember. that was a Siberian gotten from the dog pound. I think he earned his keep and care. Save a dog's life, and he may just save someone else's.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Go to the pound, directly to the pound. You can find nearly any breed or combination thereof and save a fine animal from getting put down.

When you get a dog from a shelter, it often has already been given many of the required shots, and may include a coupon for a reduced price on the spay/neuter. My last pound puppy even came with a free bag of dog food.

Since your new best friend will cost so much less than one from a dog breeder, you might think about getting two, or perhaps making a donation of part of your savings.
    Here in AZ, adoptive pets allready have their first shots and have been fixed. It runs 150. for under 9 months old and 100. for over 9 months. Basically you are paying for the spay/neuter and shots.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    The dog in my pic has the muscles required to smile, which I think came from the boxer genes. Cracks me up every time. Boxers are great dogs, but do you think they are calm enough for what he is looking for?

They're inside dogs ,they do need, and really like to play and run around though. A walk, game of fetch, tug , or going to the park is fine with them. Boxers like to be involved, as long as they are engaged and part of the family they are fine laying on your lap, and snoring. They don't do too well outside by themselves while everyone else is inside. I don't think that any dog does to be honest. There are plenty of Boxer rescues also, most rescue dogs come with shots, spayed or neutered, and house trained too.

CHawk,
    Your dog is beautiful , he's got a great face.

Bullies.

1) Quiet
    2) Self Reliant
    3) Low activity level
    4) Athletic
    5) Natural guard dogs
    6) Powerful
    7) Friendly demeanor
    8) When they speak, they speak with authority
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    CT-Mike, I ADORE your babies! We're currently screening breeder/rescue for our 3rd baby...which will be a GSD without question.

Brady -- seriously, I don't know where in SC you are, but I'm pretty close to the borderline between NC/SC. If you EVER need any help, either picking out a dog or with training methods, or you just want a behavioral eval/opinion before you take the plunge on a particular animal, just let me know, I would be more than happy to come down and help out any time. (Obviously no charge)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Thanks Bunny. When we built the house we were trying to decide between an alarm system and a good family watchdog, obviously we went with the dog. My wife was very skeptical of GSD's (like many people who aren't familiar with the breed), but it didn't take long for Mercedes to win her over, and the two are inseparable now. Sadies is now 9 y/o, and is starting to slow down, sadly.

Mickey was hit by a car, and the previous owner didn't want to spend the money and wanted him put down. The vet disagreed, and the town animal shelter came out and evaluated him and footed the bill for the surgery. Once recovered he went to the shelter (no kill) where we found him on petfinder.com. Rescue fee was $5, and that included all shots and neutering. He has been a great dog, very obedient, loves to please.

Here is a photo of our previous male Jaro that we donated to the CT State Police K-9 squad on the day he and his handler graduated the K-9 academy:

Jaro was certified as a search, patrol, and cadaver dog. Unfortunately after only 3 years or so he was searching in a swamp and drank some of the water, which gave him some kind of bacterial infection. The PD wanted the dog put down, the trooper disagreed and took him to Tufts where he spent 8 weeks recovering. The state had to foot the bill, and they retired Jaro because of this. He is now a family dog for the trooper and his young family.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I'm not sure what kind mine is, but he came from the pound

I do know that when I am out on the porch reading a book and he comes out from under me and barks, I still jump.

We're thinking he is probably a Lab/Mastiff or possibly Lab/Dane. Either way, he's a beast...he's a little over a year old and is sitting at about 110 pounds now.

The other is a Cocker, and she's more of the alarm bell.
    Attached Images
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Here is a bit of advice from a bird dog owner who trains his own. Get on a dog or hunting forum and do some research about training and breads. From what I have read above there is a lot of wife's tails and bull. Also stay away from rescue dogs if you have kids especially kids (grand kids) that aren't in the house all the time. You are asking about breeds on a defensive forum so of course you will get the Boxer, Pit, Rot, etc. There are better breeds out there for family pets which will do well as an early alert system. A dog that will truly defend your home would not be a suitable pet. People can believe what they want about there dog and its defensive quality but generally a person who isn't afraid of dogs and has a little treat go a long way towards shutting down these defensive quality's. A dog tends to act meaner and be more aggressive when its pack is around because it will defend its pack not its stuff, plus a pack works together to defend its self so write or wrong your dog thinks you have its back when its defending you. Most of a dogs deteriorate is the noise it makes which alerts people to the presence of a BG as well as the BG not knowing if the dog will chew his leg of or not. There is always that uncertainty. Most BG are stupid, but the ones that know or know that there is something worth doing in your house will get around your dog.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Muddy -- WRONG. Sorry, but this is what I do and I don't want to see misinformation spread.

There is NOTHING to "staying away from rescue dogs if you have kids that aren't in the house all the time." Rescues have professional behavioral evaluators such as myself come out and assess these dogs, and then they are placed in foster homes and continually evaluated as to their fitness with other dogs, cats, and children. If a particular dog is not good with kids, it will be noted on the dog's profile and rescue screens potential homes. They will NOT adopt out to a home with children in that case, or they could face a major lawsuit and possibly lose their 501(c)3 status.

"A dog that will truly defend your home would not be a suitable pet" is a load of bull pucky. There are several breeds out there who make excellent family pets AND guard dogs, there are some who are good at one but not the other, and then there are some that fail at both.

As far as a treat shutting down a defensive quality, that's also dependent on the dog and its training. My first rescue was a Pit, she was trained by a Police K9 trainer so that our HOA was ok with her being there. She was wonderful with children of all ages, and an incredible family pet. She also was only trained to eat out of a dish that *I* would give her, or food from *my* hands only. We had some dog-poisoning issues in the area, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Dogs do NOT "tend to act meaner and be more aggressive when its around its pack" at all! This is a load. Dogs have different "drives." Play/Work, Prey, Food, and Pack are among them. A stronger pack drive would lead a dog to be more protective of its pack, but not necessarily its den (your home) or possessions therein. And again, this is all dependent on the strength of each drive within the dog and how each drive is used to train the dog based on its natural focus and strengths.

Please do some homework or talk to a professional in this area before you spread misinformation. Stuff like these so-called truths (which are quite the opposite) are part of the reason there are so many dogs out there in rescue in the first place.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Packin, that top pic is just too funny. Looks like a real sweet dog.
    Yeah she's a real goofball. Surprising given her background though(rescued). Now she lives to expect back scratches and anyone she sees she takes her ball to to play with.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Does this count ?
    Hey! it's a cotton ball with feet
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

mi2az,
    That's a cutie, Keep an eye on him though, he looks like he's been drinking, hide his keys.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links