Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

This is a discussion on Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 I am looking into adopting a pure bred German Shepard. Not only are they beautiful but they are fiercely loyal and ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Dog(s) as part of your Home Defense

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I am looking into adopting a pure bred German Shepard. Not only are they beautiful but they are fiercely loyal and are invaluable guard dogs.

I am convinced that economic conditions are going to worsen that will lead to an increase in crime. I say, if these criminals make an attempt to invade my home, they will say hello to Fido and Kimber!
    I have always had GS's don't ask me why but I am partial to german breeds. I love shepards, boxers, rottys, and dobies. I tend to like boxers for the all around mixture. Keep in mind and check your home owners insurance, many times boxers are still able to slip into dogs that are not on the list of "insurance bad dogs"
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    They're inside dogs ,they do need, and really like to play and run around though. A walk, game of fetch, tug , or going to the park is fine with them. Boxers like to be involved, as long as they are engaged and part of the family they are fine laying on your lap, and snoring. They don't do too well outside by themselves while everyone else is inside. I don't think that any dog does to be honest. There are plenty of Boxer rescues also, most rescue dogs come with shots, spayed or neutered, and house trained too.

CHawk,
    Your dog is beautiful , he's got a great face.
    Thank you for the kind words about Ulrich! I can tell you have had boxers for sure, everything you say is dead on. They are not outside dogs at all! My boxer has to be part of the family and hates if he is not, frankly they can be a little needy because they love their families so much.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    HEY!! if you haven't found it already check out the best BT discussion board on the web: woofboard.com!

We have a GSD/Rott mix and 3 BTs. These two are inseperable:
    Lexi is the big dawg - the security guard; Rosco Bob is the little one - he's the security alarm.

This is Lily Bear - she rules the roost around here. She does what she wants, when she wants; she hears what she wants, when she wants. She's bascially a diva - pia.

This is Sisu - he's a rescue. He's got the best personality and went through Canine Good Citizen training!

Rosco Bob was also a rescue, we got him at 6 months old. He had been neglected and had little interaction with people until we adopted him. He was one of the most socially inept dogs I'd met. He was ok with the other animals, but he was afraid to trust people. It took some time and we also saw a behavioral trainer to help. He had been kept in a kennel for the first 6 months of his life without any interaction except being fed.

The trainer helped US more than anything - she taught us what we needed to know to treat him like a dog (instead of an abused dog)! It helped him understand his place in our 'pack' - and he came out of his shell. Now he's a loveable little wiggle butt (his tail rotates like a helicopter roter all the time).

Rescuing does not mean you're automatically inheriting someone else's problems. We're transporters for a couple of rescue groups around here. A LOT of dogs in foster care are NOT neglected and are perfectly healthy (often pure bred)... we are seeing a terrible increase in owner surrender because of this economy.

We have rescued on both ends of the spectrum - from kill shelters where "what you see is what you get" (Rosco Bob) and the top of the line pet orphange where we adopted Sisu. Both had been fully vetted, tested for heartworms, started on preventative, all shots were up to date, nuetered & microchipped.

Reputable rescue groups will make the best match for the dog and the family who is adopting. There is usually an application & interview process and home visits to make sure the fit is right for everyone involved. On the other hand, rescuing from a city pound is more luck of the draw -- but you can STILL FIND GREAT DOGS THERE TOO!

SUPPORT RESCUE If YOU CAN!!
    Hi,

I know the woof board very well! I love bostons! They are like miny boxers! I tell you one thing about my BT, she is the toughest little dog I have ever seen. I can't believe how rough she plays with our boxers!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    100% Business

Well, maybe not 100%

Running of the Bulls:

Sun bathing:

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Running of the Bulls:

Sun bathing:

Coupla fine lookin' beasts you got there my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Coupla fine lookin' beasts you got there my friend.
    Like wise. Is the brindle a Cane Corso? Your Char Pei is gorgeous.

Like wise. Is the brindle a Cane Corso? Your Char Pei is gorgeous.
    The brindle is a Presa Canario and the Shar Pei is actually a Mini Shar Pei. They are inseparable.

The brindle is a Presa Canario and the Shar Pei is actually a Mini Shar Pei. They are inseparable.
    Dang it! I always mix up Cane Corso and Presa Canario breeds. They make look similar to the person with an untrained eye but a little research has flushed out that they have completely different temperaments. Is that true? Impressive dog either way.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a mini Shar Pei. I just thought that it was a youngster.
    Last edited by Moga; July 16th, 2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: ETA comment

Dang it! I always mix up Cane Corso and Presa Canario breeds. They make look similar to the person with an untrained eye but a little research has flushed out that they have completely different temperaments. Is that true? Impressive dog either way.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a mini Shar Pei. I just thought that it was a youngster.
    The Presa and the Corso in my opinion do not look anything alike but since the Corso is a more recognizable and popular dog I can see how the two might get mistaken for each other. I got her here: http://www.dgkennels.com/ they are outside of Atlanta.

My Presa is an absolutely phenomenal animal. She is super protective but at the same time she is very easy to live with and has great manners. She tends to have a dry mouth as compared to her Mollosoid cousins like the Bull Mastiff and the Corso. I prefer the absence of drool.

Yes, the mini Shar Pei is a real thing. She is actually 5 years old while the Presa is not quite 2 yet. The Shar Pei is the smartest dog I have ever had in my life. She will walk in lock-step with me on crowded streets with no leash and is fixated 100% on me when we are out. The Presa is obedient but has her own interests she indulges when she wants. The Presa also has the most ferocious bark I have ever heard out of any dog. She really gets the hood rats shaking in their boots. Needless to say they tend not to walk past my hose when she is out because they fear she will scale the gate and eat them.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    haven't had a chance to read the thread today. I do appreciate everyone's passion and input. I figured this would be an active thread but, Wow!

Like I said earlier, I am only in the planning stage.

access is going to be limited for a while. I discontinued my dsl at home to save money. I am now the only wage earner in a house of 6, so things are going to move real slow. I will continiue to monitor from work during lunch and breaks.

Just like guns, there's no shortage of opinions!
    Thanks a bunch!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

She really gets the hood rats shaking in their boots. Needless to say they tend not to walk past my hose when she is out because they fear she will scale the gate and eat them.
    A gun is often not as good a deterrent as a big dog.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Moga,
    Are those American Bulldogs ? Whatever they are they're beautiful. Do people dock the tails, or do they usually keep them ?

I think you need some kind of pre-warning device, be it of the canine or electronic variety; lets face it, with all of the home invasions going on in the middle of the night, you simply can't getup in time when the door gets kicked in to repel invaders. you need some pre-warning to get you awake and aware of something getting ready to happen.

I don't have a dog due to the fact that my wife is allergic, but I do have motion-sensing lights, video surveillance and a good burglar alarm. I had a setup like this when we lived in a rural area and it worked out just fine for us. No one man or animal could approach the house without us being alerted.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Moga,
    Are those American Bulldogs ? Whatever they are they're beautiful. Do people dock the tails, or do they usually keep them ?
    Thank you! They're both Bull Mastiffs. The brindle will be nine next month and the fawn will be three in December. Its frowned on in the community if you dock the tails. I think the AKC will revoke the registration on them if they're altered that way too. I think I remember reading that on the app, anyhow.

I love this breed like no other. These are numbers two and three for my household.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links