Red Flag Rules ????

This is a discussion on Red Flag Rules ???? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Any business people here familiar with the FTC Red Flag Rules? I'm asking because a local business--one I have done business with for 20 years-- ...

Thread: Red Flag Rules ????

VIP Member

Red Flag Rules ????

Any business people here familiar with the FTC Red Flag Rules?

I'm asking because a local business--one I have done business with for 20 years-- insisted that they needed to copy my DL before providing service. I refused, pointing out that they have known me for 20 years and if they insist on copying my DL I'll go elsewhere.

They claimed it was "a new law." I told them I would give the DL if they showed me the code. They gave me a url to an FTC web site, which does not seem to me to put a requirement on them to collect DL info that way.

FWIW, this was a professional; e.g., doc or dentist.

Anyone know how the "red flag rules" are actually supposed to be implemented and when (if ever) it is appropriate for a business to insist on a copy of a DL?

Again FWIW, I refused and told them I'd go elsewhere and they relented, supposedly just this one time.

So, I need to understand this better than I do.

2. Remove Ads

For what its worth:

AVMA Website Article

Hope that helps.
    Springfeld XD (m) .40 S&W
    Why argue with the 9mm vs. .45 issue? Carry the best of both worlds with some 40 cal !

Stay safe out there - the Constitution needs you!

VIP Member

This will open the flood gates to wider identity theft

Quote Originally Posted by zerodogma View Post
    For what its worth:

AVMA Website Article

Hope that helps.
    Thanks. I've read the FTC site and the stuff you provided. I don't see anywhere where there is a mandate for the collection of DL copies, but if this is the way it is being interpreted within the medical community, or within other segments of the small business community, FTC has opened the floodgates for a great increase in identity theft; when they intended to close out identity theft options. We'll all get the exact opposite result of what was intended.

If this RED FLAG RULE is applied by plumbers, electricians, and other small businesses as well on the grounds that they extend credit for a brief period, we will all be vulnerable.

I have enough "trouble"with the idea or practice of giving up my DL to a doc. With no disrespect to tradesmen, I sure don't want to be asked to give it up to the plumber or electrician.

Will write my critter as soon as I calm down a little.

This one truly is an outrage if it is requiring that clients allow business people to make copies of their DLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Thanks. I've read the FTC site and the stuff you provided. I don't see anywhere where there is a mandate for the collection of DL copies, but if this is the way it is being interpreted within the medical community, or within other segments of the small business community, FTC has opened the floodgates for a great increase in identity theft; when they intended to close out identity theft options. We'll all get the exact opposite result of what was intended.

If this RED FLAG RULE is applied by plumbers, electricians, and other small businesses as well on the grounds that they extend credit for a brief period, we will all be vulnerable.

I have enough "trouble"with the idea or practice of giving up my DL to a doc. With no disrespect to tradesmen, I sure don't want to be asked to give it up to the plumber or electrician.

Will write my critter as soon as I calm down a little.

This one truly is an outrage if it is requiring that clients allow business people to make copies of their DLs.
    The National I.D. card will protect you from any theft.

Michael

Links