Pet Question for people in KY

This is a discussion on Pet Question for people in KY within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have looked all over the KRS and could not find anything on the issue, I don't know if I just over looked it or ...

Thread: Pet Question for people in KY

Question Pet Question for people in KY

I have looked all over the KRS and could not find anything on the issue, I don't know if I just over looked it or what but, anyway. I was wondering what the laws would be for housing a Timber Wolf as a pet? In my opinion they are just really big dogs, and like any other animal, if you house them from when they are pups, or cubs, it's all in how you raise them, that encourages their actions as they get older, now granted I know that they will still have their animal instincts, but if trained properly that shouldn't be a problem. If anyone has any other suggestions or information regarding the issue please let me know.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Fast is Deadly!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed_23
    I was wondering what the laws would be for housing a Timber Wolf as a pet? In my opinion they are just really big dogs, and like any other animal, if you house them from when they are pups, or cubs, it's all in how you raise them, that encourages their actions as they get older, now granted I know that they will still have their animal instincts, but if trained properly that shouldn't be a problem.
    IMHO, they are not dogs, they are wild animals. I do not know a lot about this, I'm just very opinionated. I might change my mind, but the evidence and analysis I've read suggest other than what you may have read or heard - maybe just different sources at work here.

Administrator

Thumbs down The Facts

Wolves & wolf dog hybrids are not great pets.
    It is not normal wolf behavior to "act" like a dog. Even though they were originally in the same "Family" of animals.
    Even wolves that have been "severely forced" into domestication are chronically prone to instinctive reactionary Fear~Biting.
    Fear Biting is when an animal seems perfectly normal & then gets startled or afraid (of anything) & then suddenly (and without warning) you are missing half of your face.
    Fear~Biting is a behavior that domesticated wild animals have absolutely no conscious control over. You cannot "domesticate" Fear~Biting out of a wolf even if it has been raised from birth.

It honestly is a very bad idea for you to try and keep a Timber Wolf for a pet.
    Predatory wolves need to range over a large area. Even if you got an extremely young wolf you would (in effect) be crippling it's natural instinct to roam.
    Unlike dogs that have been specifically bred for domestic companionship for countless generations - wolves need to socialize with their own kind.
    They are COMPLICATED social pack animals "Social" meaning "social" with their own kind & not with humans.

Wolves raised without the normal companionship of other wolves (that they form sophisticated bonding relationships with) will likely become neurotic and unpredictable.
    Actually, wolves are NOT easily domesticated even when raised from birth.
    They are extremely cute and playful when they young but, morph into unpredictable predatory creatures as they age. That is what they they are...they become what they are. It's the way of Nature.

Some facts that you may not be aware of:

Wolves have a natural ingrained tendency to "protect" food & even if heavily "domesticated" they sometimes "forget themselves" and can revert back to their normal inclination to protect food.

Wolves cannot be trained to "go" outside. Their natural inclination is to mark their immediate territory everywhere with urine.

They "HOWL" loudly and incessantly.

They chew everything up.
    The dig giant holes which (to them) is normal "den making"

Almost every Insurance Company will usually drop you if you keep a domesticated exotic animal as a pet.
    A Home Owners Policy will not cover damages done by domesticated wild animals kept as pets.

Domesticated wolves are 5 times more likely to attack small children than even Wolf/Dog hybrids.
    They are incapable of transferring affection over to strangers or other people even if you get lucky and can somehow assume the wolf perceived perception of Alpha Male Lead Pack Animal.
    They can and often do attack other "lesser" family members and children.

If a "Kept Wolf" attacks any child...you WILL go to prison & probably lose everything you own VIA Civil Court action AFTER the criminal charges.
    Many veterinarians refuse to treat wolves or even Wolf/Dog hybrids.

In addition...The US Dept. Of Fish & Wildlife will prosecute you if a kept wolf gets loose and is traced back to you.
    You will be responsible to pay any and all costs accrued for the recapture of that animal.

I guess I will just stick to a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute then...
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Fast is Deadly!

Administrator

It is very possible for you to get a good large dog that will faithfully Serve & Protect and double as an ideal family companion.
    Even when shopping for a "regular" dog you'll need to research the breeder. Ask for references. Call the Kennel Society. Know your breeder.
    You'll want to get a dog with a good dispostition with no abnormal traits to the breed. Do your homework. Good Luck. I hope that you find a great canine friend. They are amazing animals.

Now if you REALLY want to get a GREAT DOG that will strike fear into the hearts of average folks but, yet is super friendly and GREAT around small children & strangers....then think about getting a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. They are HUGE...(and expensive) but, make fantastic pets.
    They have an AMAZING amount of Cool Factor!
    The DO need to work & pull a wagon....so (seriously) you can buy a "chariot" for your dog & you can "walk the dog" by letting him pull you all over the neighborhood.
    That is what they were bred to do...pull heavy wagons loaded with firewood up mountain trails.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would highly recommend the book Good Dog, Bad Dog written by the well known and highly respected professional dog trainers Mordecai Siegal and Matthew Margolis. It has excellent breed descriptions in the back. The descriptions are extremelly accurate, concise, and have lists of positive and negative characteristics that are amazingly accurate. I would NOT buy a breed I do not personally know and understand without referring to this book!

Some folks here may have exceptions to my comments below, these are just my personal opinions and experiences:

Based on my experience with numerous breeds over the years, including Siberian Huskies, Malamutes, Dobermans, German Shepards, Standard Poodles, Minature Poodles, Border Collies, Giant Schnauzers, Minature Schnauzers, Golden Retreivers, Labradors, among others - the book's descriptions are dead on accurate! These can really help guide you based or your lifestyle and living situation (farm versus apartment, etc.)

Having had two S. Huskies and a lot of experience with Malamutes, I'd note: Huskies are perpetually childlike. Intelligent and gentle. Naturally friendly, thus poor "watchdogs" generally. You can have them as well trained a anyone alive, and they might see a squirrel or a balloon - and off they go - despite your protests. They shed horrendously! They can be high-energy and demand a lot of exercise without which they may be highly destructive. They are bred as hard working pulling dogs, and without hard work, their energy has to go somewhere! They can get lonely, will dig, and can be destructive chewers. You can never really trust a Siberian "off lead" like when you're fishing, etc. they'll disappear and get lost...

Having been around malamutes, they are teddybears. Strong, energetic, they are adaptive but are lethargic if kept indoors. They shed likes Huskies! Negatives include extreme stubborness, very difficult to train, can be aggressive, become diggers, chewers and dog fighters. They need a strong, experienced trainer.

Goog luck - you'll find the "right" dog for you! Just do a lot of research on the breed before you look for a puppy, and do a lot of research on the breeders! The breeders control the quality of the dogs they produce, and thus their genetic health characteristics, and most importantly, the overall health and the most - the temperament.

Good luck, and have fun!

If the book isn't available in print now, I know its available on Amazon used books.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 24th, 2006 at 09:53 AM.

QK - Those look like some great dogs! The little fella sure is tickled with them! Cute!

I love almost ALL dogs BTW: If you look into a dog's eyes, you usually see goodness and love...

Links