Am I a Liberal Activist?

This is a discussion on Am I a Liberal Activist? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Monkeytown "Powers or rights, whatever you choose to call them." Wow!! Just WOW!! This is one of the reasons we are in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a Liberal Activist?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    "Powers or rights, whatever you choose to call them."

Wow!! Just WOW!!

This is one of the reasons we are in the predicament we are in as a nation. So many people cannot identify the difference.

MT
    Let me be clearer in my opinion. People have rights. They are born with them. In a democracy the people choose to relinquish some of them to the central or Federal Government. In our form of government all the remaining rights are left to the people. I am not discussing the States right now.

Do you believe that the founding fathers wrote the first ten amendments thinking they were the only rights the people had? The Constitution was written to keep the Federal Government in line, not to list the rights of the people. They carefully pointed out what the Federal Government could involve itself in, nothing more,it was only meant to restrict the power of the feds.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    My problem with liberals is that they constantly claim the constitution to be a "living document" that can be changed on a whim, or the interpretation can be changed based on a societal shift. I didn't hear you state that in your post, so I doubt that you are a lib.

As for the other stuff, those are man's laws. When we all leave this world, we will answer to a higher authority for the transgressions we have committed while here and be judged.
    I believe the more correct term would be that the Constitution is malleable, it can be changed but they purposely made it difficult. If they wanted it to be changes on a whim why would they have made the amendment process so difficult?

Michael

VIP Member

Malleable constitution

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I believe the more correct term would be that the Constitution is malleable, it can be changed but they purposely made it difficult. If they wanted it to be changes on a whim why would they have made the amendment process so difficult?

Michael
    When something can not be changed e.g., torah text, or can be changed only with the greatest of difficulty-- our constitution, the inevitable result is reinterpretation. To that extent both bible and constitution are malleable. They must be. Otherwise they would become irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    When something can not be changed e.g., torah text, or can be changed only with the greatest of difficulty-- our constitution, the inevitable result is reinterpretation. To that extent both bible and constitution are malleable. They must be. Otherwise they would become irrelevant.
    They made the Constitution malleable but they left us a hammer in the form of the amendment process in which to change it. It was meant to be difficult.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links