What did the student do to earn his/her school desk?

This is a discussion on What did the student do to earn his/her school desk? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is great, and should be done in every school in the country! Earning your rights to your desk!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did the student do to earn his/her school desk?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

What did the student do to earn his/her school desk?

This is great, and should be done in every school in the country!

Earning your rights to your desk!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like it and have sent it to everyone on my contact list.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

very nice... I'm going to send it to a bunch of people i know.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

That is nice, I have sent it along.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Wow,that was totally spot on,we have the opportunities here other countries don't and it seems like a lot of people today take everything for granted and that the country owes them something
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Wow

I always take these stories with a grain of salt, what an awesome story but likely someones fantasy. So, I took a look at Snopes.com and I am shocked and proud to learn this is a factual story. Read here if you want snopes.com nodesks.

Thanks for the post
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I read a lot of posts on this forum (and others) about how "liberal" our schools are becoming because the teachers are misusing their positions to try to "brainwash" the school kids.

Now I read this and I am SHOCKED to find forum members who support this type of conduct. What this teacher did is the EXACT SAME THING as those who try to teach social extremism. The fact that the message is one that you would agree with is irrelevant - she was not teaching the curriculum. Instead she was pushing her personal agenda and viewpoint onto her students under the guise of "teaching."

I condemn this type of thing whether I agree with the message or not. Kids are not pawns and schools are not to be used to promote personal beliefs.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I read a lot of posts on this forum (and others) about how "liberal" our schools are becoming because the teachers are misusing their positions to try to "brainwash" the school kids.

Now I read this and I am SHOCKED to find forum members who support this type of conduct. What this teacher did is the EXACT SAME THING as those who try to teach social extremism. The fact that the message is one that you would agree with is irrelevant - she was not teaching the curriculum. Instead she was pushing her personal agenda and viewpoint onto her students under the guise of "teaching."

I condemn this type of thing whether I agree with the message or not. Kids are not pawns and schools are not to be used to promote personal beliefs.
    Rob, while agree that the teacher had an agenda; I believe there is relevant truth in the agenda. Simply, we would not enjoy the freedoms and security we have in this nation were it not for the sacrifices by our armed forces. That said I am making this observation from my paradigm as a staunch supporter of our military.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

ha, gonna kick this everyone i know

I guess I'm a sour apple.

The theme, "Veterans fought for your right to an education". I don't like this for 3 reasons:
    1. Veterans fought for the constitution, which does not secure education as a right of the people.
    2. Other governments, even tyrannical ones, have public education with desks.
    3. Our public school system is a sham. It's the only school system world wide that can take the brightest students (at earliest international testing) and turn them into some of the dumbest (grade 12). It's full of political propaganda, and despite being over-funded and backed by a huge federal program, cannot compete with a good mother teaching her kids at home.

But I like the real message, thank a veteran. I thank them for giving me a land where I can be a sour apple, and only the moderators can stop me, who also should thank veterans for their right to do so with their private property.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

I'm sorry, Rob, but you're wrong. This was a Social Studies class, a class that is supposed to teach citizenship. I've never seen a better way of beginning this education. And given the nature of the class, I also disagree with your description of the teacher's actions as part of an agenda. In this case, this is an accurate description of the source of our freedom. The Constitution outlines our rights, but it's the solder that has protected them. Now, I will agree with you that our educational system has sucked, but I don't think that complaining against one of the best educational methods that I've ever seen helps at all.

A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired,
    or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life,
    wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United
    States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and
    including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people
    in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

We need more teachers who remind students about this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

^^^+100000^^^

This is a truth too few understand!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

From 1687 when my family came to America and on, my ancestors fought for freedom in this country and the "rights" we all have. I have read my 13th great grandfather's and several other's letters sent back to those they knew back in England, Ireland, etc.

Don't tell me... my family did not fight for my "right" for me to sit there....... and that somehow it is someone's "agenda" . It's a FACT. And, it was not just soldiers who did it.... it was common citizens arising to the occassion, it was those who gave up things in WWII in order to support the fight, it was the 6 generations of my family who were in the Continental Congress and there at the time the Constitution was approved.

If you are alive ..... then someone back then ... fought for that right, or came here upon the back of those who did.

... she was not teaching the curriculum. Instead she was pushing her personal agenda and viewpoint onto her students under the guise of "teaching."
    Seems to me the message was simple: motivation to study, responsibility to study.

It comes from somewhere. These days, most students simply don't seem to have it. Now, whether one believes a "personal agenda" is in play when someone identifies the truth behind the freedom to educate one's self, the truth remains. Not every place in the world affords the opportunity for, or even allows, all children to study. In the U.S., that opportunity isn't there by magic. It came hard-fought and hard-won. Telling the children the source of that opportunity doesn't seem much of a twist, let alone agenda-based ... other than, IMO, providing the kids with a deeper sense of motivation and responsibility for one's own learning, where very often such motivation is lacking. YMMV, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links