Another Gun toting Liberal - Page 3

Another Gun toting Liberal

This is a discussion on Another Gun toting Liberal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What an interesting thread this has become. I'm not sure I have the experience here to say this, but discourse like this without all the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Gun toting Liberal

What an interesting thread this has become. I'm not sure I have the experience here to say this, but discourse like this without all the saber rattling is just great. This forum is just about the only one I bother with anymore (the other three deal with Harleys, cigars, and Thunderbirds).
    In any case, I'm learning that sticking a political label on a person who chooses to carry a firearm is virtually meaningless. I like that we all have our personal political beliefs (or lack of them), yet we're all believers in the thinking that -- despite government, law enforcement or anything else -- we're individually responsible for protecting ourselves and our loved ones.
    I notice that several new members have joined here just to post their opinions. That is fantastic. Where else does one find this kind of discourse? If someone says "I fully support the Furry Little Dog Party and I carry a Glock 19..." I am definitely interested in that person's opinion -- even though at this moment I may think that the Furry Dogs stink (ours does right now and needs a bath) and I think the Boston Terrier Party is best (if he'd just quit peeing on my cowboy boots...).
    Liberal, Libertarian, ACLU, Republican, NRA, whatever, I'm not sure we can all agree on anything except that we are quite concerned about how to protect ourselves and especially those we love.
    And that's probably the best politics I know.
    Rant over!

Assistant Administrator

Thumbs up

David - that was no rant - just some very solid thinking.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am finding some of the posts here very instructive and enlightening. Thank you for bearing with my "politically charged" question.
    Live Free or Die

Senior Moderator
    Interesting thread. What I do wonder, Yoshi, is how you reconcile voting for a candidate who supports the other positions you support, but also espouses gun control?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Diane Feinstein is running for national office. She supports most of thing things you want to see on a social platform, but she vows to remove all handguns from private ownership.

Do you vote for her, or for her opponent?

Matt

My take on it is simple i dont care how you vote or who you vote for if ya love guns thats good enough for me .. wish more people would get off the politics ..

2 things i dont discuss with people other than family politics and religion

What I am gathering from this thread is actually that it depends a lot on the region in which you live. I was born raised and lived in Vermont for a good chunk of my life. I lived in Massachusetts for a while and finally gave up there and moved to Maine.

Perhaps its a New England thing to mix party platforms?
    There are many anti-gun republicans in Massachusetts; and Howard Dean used to have an A rating from the NRA and was the longest serving governor of my home state (the first to legalize civil unions and the loosest firearms regulations in the nation). In Maine we have the highest persentage of firearms ownership in the country, and yet we are still a "blue" state. Its confusing, and proves the point that people are too complex for one or two pidgeon holes.
    Live Free or Die

VIP Member
    I applaud everyone here that is kept this thread civil and open...it's so refreshing considering that on some other gun forums, the mere mention of politics becomes a bloody affair despite the fact that we are all on the "same side."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    Perhaps its a New England thing to mix party platforms?

There are many anti-gun republicans in Massachusetts; and Howard Dean used to have an A rating from the NRA and was the longest serving governor of my home state (the first to legalize civil unions and the loosest firearms regulations in the nation).
    I've lived and voted in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. From my perspective, it appeared that party affiliation was only a convenience, and politicians used it only as a spring board. As a result, part "mixing" at the polls was commonplace.

The real politicians (successful long-term) were the ones that represented their constituents regularly and consistently, despite their party affiliation. Yep - the way it's designed.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    Its confusing, and proves the point that people are too complex for one or two pidgeon holes.
    That's why I am very frustrated with the polarization that is occurring in politics currently. One strong and vocal special interest group polarizing an issue, making it "Absolute", tends to galvanize people into "yes-no" "0 sum equation" positions. This tends to make other issues, which might well be "as important", lesser so. This in turn makes balanced vote casting more difficult, and drives everyone into polarized camps.

IMHO, we've lost sight of the fact that we have a very complex society, functioning in a very complex environment. Our political process, however, is reducing legislative deliberations to a one issue, "yes-no", "with us-against us" stalemated proposition.

VIP Member

Well said, Rock and Glock...

Your last paragraph in your most recent post puts forth one of the reasons I agree with that old adage: "That government which governs least, governs best."

Interesting thread!

When I went through a similar political self-introspection process I realized that every single one of my liberal leanings stemmed from what I can only innaccurately call "Religeous Right politics". Choice/Life, Gay Marriage, Affirmative action, Sex Education, stem cell research, all these I have very liberal views on. Everything else, well.... kinda I like the government to leave people alone.

Only place I have an admittedly contradictory view is when it comes to kids. I can't stand to see kids hurt, and I viscerally want intervention, even though I don't like it in any other context.

I'm pretty happy being a gun guy, one can pick and chose one's beliefs just fine amongst the various platforms, and the only time you have to decide what is more important is when you hit the voting booth.

For the record, I think that the second amendment is important enough to trump almost every one of my other liberal beliefs in the voting booth. I voted for Badnarick last time (naturally) I would not have voted for Kerry. I would have made myself sick voting for Bush, well, you know the drill, we've heard it a million times. ;)

DC Founder
    I'm going to tell on Yoshi, I guess. He emailed me ahead of time regarding his interest in posting this thread but not wanting to start a heated conversation. I gave him my own thoughts in the return email to him and told him to go ahead and post, that I believed that the resulting posts would be civil and it would not turn into a "flamefest". I wasn't positive, but thought our members were big enough to talk about it without ripping him a new one. I have been pleasantly pleased to se that you all have been. Thanks, and thanks to yoshi for posting it.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jamz
    Interesting thread!

When I went through a similar political self-introspection process I realized that every single one of my liberal leanings stemmed from what I can only innaccurately call "Religeous Right politics". Choice/Life, Gay Marriage, Affirmative action, Sex Education, stem cell research, all these I have very liberal views on. Everything else, well.... kinda I like the government to leave people alone.

Only place I have an admittedly contradictory view is when it comes to kids. I can't stand to see kids hurt, and I viscerally want intervention, even though I don't like it in any other context.

I'm pretty happy being a gun guy, one can pick and chose one's beliefs just fine amongst the various platforms, and the only time you have to decide what is more important is when you hit the voting booth.

For the record, I think that the second amendment is important enough to trump almost every one of my other liberal beliefs in the voting booth. I voted for Badnarick last time (naturally) I would not have voted for Kerry. I would have made myself sick voting for Bush, well, you know the drill, we've heard it a million times. ;)
    I no longer consider myself a "Republican" although that's the party with whom I vote and am registered. I watch them like a hawk 100% of the time and I don't just blindly follow the party line although when I was younger, I used to. I'll compromise in most areas including abortion when it comes to the laws...I waffle on gay marriage and I'm dead set against gay adoption (kids issues)....but if one were to pass where I live, it wouldn't set me on fire. But I absolutely refuse to compromise on the 2nd! See the antis are all about "reasonable" gun control and they'll freely compromise! Whatever they fail to get one time, they'll go for the next and the next and the next until it's over. That's my line in the sand.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762

See the antis are all about "reasonable" gun control and they'll freely compromise! Whatever they fail to get one time, they'll go for the next and the next and the next until it's over. That's my line in the sand.
    Well said, Ex: An example of the kind of "creep" that can spell disaster (I just read Chris' saga of the UK "experience")!

Welcome Yoshi! I probably wouldn't have "come out" except another newbie posted before me of his position on the far Right. I figured I should keep the balance. Otherwise, I don't get much into the politics here because that's not what we're here to discuss. Like it or not, our party is the one labeled anti-gun, and it's up to individuals like us to turn that around. Interacting here isn't a bad start.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I'm going to tell on Yoshi, I guess. He emailed me ahead of time regarding his interest in posting this thread but not wanting to start a heated conversation. I gave him my own thoughts in the return email to him and told him to go ahead and post, that I believed that the resulting posts would be civil and it would not turn into a "flamefest". I wasn't positive, but thought our members were big enough to talk about it without ripping him a new one. I have been pleasantly pleased to se that you all have been. Thanks, and thanks to yoshi for posting it.....
    Actually Bump, I agree although the B-I-G thanks should go to WorldPax! We cut our teeth on him and he put up with it and stuck around. He helped us grow up some. But a big thanks to you for being the good king Mod you are!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links