Another Gun toting Liberal - Page 4

Another Gun toting Liberal

This is a discussion on Another Gun toting Liberal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought pretty hard before I hit "post" that first time. I figured there would be some trepidation, but once you guys figured out I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Gun toting Liberal

I thought pretty hard before I hit "post" that first time. I figured there would be some trepidation, but once you guys figured out I wasn't here to be a troll, it wouldn't be a thing.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax

but once you guys figured out I wasn't here to be a troll, it wouldn't be a thing.

Wait your not a Troll?

Nope, I created another alias to troll with :) different email, IP and everything. Just waiting for a good chance to misbehave.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I do make note that i drove arround tulsa on the way home last trip out LOL oO( pax and i dont have time , and no one has the coffee for us to argue politics till we admit we agree on a lot of issues lol )

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    Nope, I created another alias to troll with :) different email, IP and everything. Just waiting for a good chance to misbehave.
    lol thats ok ill just ban both

DC Founder
    Now, now, Bud, put away that axe.

Actually, I'm not really clear on how "liberal" yoshi and Pax really are. Being a Democrat really doesn't say much about how liberal one is. I expect that there are alot of Democrats that are pro-gun if you really look into it. Farmers and ranchers come immediately to mind. Many of them are very pro hunting and guns, having grown up with them on the farm....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hi Bumper,
    Technically I'm not really a Democrat either, not sure where I fit - but I think I am a bit more liberal on some issues than on others. Maybe libertarian fits better (hence the Live Free or Die Sig)
    Live Free or Die

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'm a Libertarian myself. I registered Republican recently so that I could have more influence in the primaries with canidates who actually stand a chance of election, but I'm thinking of switching back. My sentiments are definetly with the Libertarian Party.

As for conservative Democrats, that's pretty much the definition of the old-school Southern Democrat.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Sorry for the lengthy post guys

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I've never been east of the Mississippi River myself, so let me ask this question: who do all of these "fierce anti's" count on for the protection of their families well-being? You've obviously seen the wisdom of counting on yourself, but who are they depending on to keep them safe?

Have you applied for a CCW permit from the State Firearms Bureau? How hard is it to get a CCW in Massachusetts?

Again, welcome to CombatCarry! We all may not have voted for the same person, but everyone at this site has the same goals as far as gun ownership (I think )

And, as far as mixing politics and guns (or religion) goes:

My thanks to Team America and all else who have welcomed me to CCC. Glad to be a part of such a distinguished forum.

In Boston, you have three types of people. One is the person that has lived here their entire lives, likely blue-collar, lives an honest lifestyle, that doesn't leave things to chance. These people probably have large-breed dogs to help out with perimeter duty, and likely pack a ball-bat or machete for the things that go bump in the night. I'm sure there are a fair share of those that keep firearms too. These people are not spring chickens, and know the pulse of their neighborhoods. The criminals are armed to the teeth 24/7.

Then there is a large segment of transplants that come here to study or work. They stay along for the ride afterward because they become a part of the fabric of the city. These university-types are the liberal of the liberal, and the sight of a firearm brings to mind all the worst attrocities committed against humanity. They would rather give their life in violence than to defend it (to hear them tell it). They don't know that people kill people and not guns.

Lastly, you have the leftovers, which are aware that danger lurks around the corner, yet believe that it won't happen to them, going through the motions of their lives recklessly without the slightest fear or caution. These people are the most vunerable, by far.

I too carry a large breed (Bullmastiff), do all that I can to fortify my home, plan and carry out my out-of-home activities from the standpoint of one at condition yellow, and in general am diligent about watching my surroundings for those tell-tale signs of trouble brewing. It is my belief that the city is on a path to explode as soon as the weather breaks.

The Firearms Record Bureau is the proper name for the agency within the State of Massachusetts that oversees the firearm licensure process in MA.

How hard is it to get a carry permit in MA? It largely depends on where you live. In most places, it is pretty straight forward. You apply to the local law enforcement department that is responsible for your residential area. The fee is $100 and you must provide a certificate that proves you've completed 8 hours of training in an approved course. Barring you haven't any disqualifiers in your background, you should be all good. Many people are issued a carry license for all lawful purposes [ALP], meaning you can carry anytime, anyplace that isn't specifically restricted by state law.

However, things are quite little different if you live in or around Boston. You see, our mayor, along with the mayor of NYC, is probably one of the most hostile in the country toward their citizens exercising their right to keep and bear arms, right along side with San Francisco and Chicago. In our case, it is a direct response to the record number of homicides that occured last year (which largely remain unsolved). More murders than any other time in the last decade. As a result, Boston's mayor has declared war on the criminals, and is seemingly incapable of distinguishing the good guys from the bad guys. The culture at the Boston Police Department HQ is one that is hostile to License to Carry [LTC] applicants. That means the city drags their feet every chance they can get during the process, and their agents are uncooperative, if not hostile, during your interaction with them once they know your applying for a LTC. It is not uncommon for the entire procedure to take 180 days in greater Boston, only to be denied.

There have been many cases of local authorities adding on requirements to the licensing procedure when state law explicitly stipulates one form, one procedure, one fee. The Boston Commissioner (Chief of Police) arbitrarily restricts the licenses they do issue to target only (meaning no concealed carry, only transport to the range) unless you are someone important, connected politically, or have already been beaten half-dead by a criminal. There is no legal authority in the state constitution to support this restriction practice, according to our leading state 2A organization.

For those of us that are courageous enough to go through with it, its expected to require $400-$500 investment for a LTC in Boston or some of its suburbs due to all the steps one must follow. Like joining a target club as a pre-requisite for issue. Since we are not a "shall issue" state, the Boston Commissioner could deny me for any reason she feels. And yet I have trained and applied because I feel exercising this right is too important to just say "to hell with it" as MANY Bostonians have. The other factor is many, many intelligent people have no idea that the US Supreme Court has ruled numerous times that Law Enforcement has no obligation to protect civilians from harm/death at the hands of criminals.

I won't be in MA too much longer, as I am headed where the climate and the laws are more to my liking in Georgia. But I don't want to wait any longer to carry (if I am lucky enough to be given a ALP) because this summer is sure to be one steamy, hot summer. Even if I have a restricted license, I intend to carry 24/7 when at home, which thankfully I am permitted to do concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Interesting thread. What I do wonder, Yoshi, is how you reconcile voting for a candidate who supports the other positions you support, but also espouses gun control?
    Do you vote for her, or for her opponent? Matt
    I can't speak for Yoshi, but since we have so very few politicians that are pro-2A, there would have to be other very, very strong mitigating factors for that individual not to receive my vote. In fact, I plan on giving my vote to the individual that espouses strong 2A sentiment this coming November when the Governorship is up for re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    What I am gathering from this thread is actually that it depends a lot on the region in which you live. I was born raised and lived in Vermont for a good chunk of my life. I lived in Massachusetts for a while and finally gave up there and moved to Maine.
    Perhaps its a New England thing to mix party platforms?
    I am a native New Yorker that relocated to Boston five years ago for educational pursuits. Coincidence? Maybe, it may be not.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the reply, Moga!

Quote Originally Posted by Moga
    The culture at the Boston Police Department HQ is one that is hostile to License to Carry [LTC] applicants. That means the city drags their feet every chance they can get during the process, and their agents are uncooperative, if not hostile, during your interaction with them once they know your applying for a LTC. It is not uncommon for the entire procedure to take 180 days in greater Boston, only to be denied.
    Colorado was a "may-issue" CCW state until 2003, meaning county officials could deny your permit application for any reason, and often treated honest people the same way the Boston Police dept. does. You had to have some pull with local authorities to get a CCW permit, and it was a very arbitrary thing. Our state legislature was able to pass a "shall-issue" law in 2003-04 (it actually would have been done sooner, but the Columbine incident put a hold on pro-gun legislation for a couple of years here), and local authorities now must issue a permit to honest applicants.

...many, many intelligent people have no idea that the US Supreme Court has ruled numerous times that Law Enforcement has no obligation to protect civilians from harm/death at the hands of criminals.
    These people aren't restricted to the Boston area, I can assure you
    I can't speak for Yoshi, but since we have so very few politicians that are pro-2A, there would have to be other very, very strong mitigating factors for that individual not to receive my vote. In fact, I plan on giving my vote to the individual that espouses strong 2A sentiment this coming November when the Governorship is up for re-election.
    That is a very sensible outlook, IMHO!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Wow this has been a good read, now I'm note sure were I Stand: I have been a registered republican since Regan(but have no problem voting for other parties), I'm Pro-gun, Pro-choice, Pro-death penalty, Pro-animal(meaning I don't hunt, rather use a camera), Pro-search warrant, Anti-helmet, Anti-seatbelt(if I want to ride in the back of a pickup, that's my choice) Anti/Pro-gay(marriage is up to the church, but feel they deserve rights like anyone else) Anti-big government. I don't look at myself as a Republican, Liberal, or Democrat, but as an Independent thinker.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I too carry a large breed (Bullmastiff), do all that I can to fortify my home, plan and carry out my out-of-home activities from the standpoint of one at condition yellow, and in general am diligent about watching my surroundings for those tell-tale signs of trouble brewing.
    Welcome, Sir! I appreciate the thoughts above, since my son lives in Boston (the Fenway area). Interesting read. We're visiting him in a month or so.

How do you carry that Mastiff? Concealed or open?

Actually, welcome, and thanks for the post!

bullies are heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    How do you carry that Mastiff? Concealed or open?
    LOL. One labored step at a time, I can assure you.

Fenway is a great community. One of those authentically "Boston" locales that I'll miss once I head south.

Do you honestly think a pro-gun Democrat would have a snowball in hell's chance of getting elected to anything? Republican's certainly wouldn't vote for him and to the Democrats he would be a traitorous pariah.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Lightbulb There's more to the Libertarians than being pro-gun

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    I'm a Libertarian myself. I registered Republican recently so that I could have more influence in the primaries with canidates who actually stand a chance of election, but I'm thinking of switching back. My sentiments are definetly with the Libertarian Party.

As for conservative Democrats, that's pretty much the definition of the old-school Southern Democrat.
    AKA Reagan Democrat, AKA "Dixie-Crat"

20 years ago, I'd have said the same thing, until I became a teacher of American Government. Part of my job is to teach 3rd parties. Do you really know all of the Libertarian stances on the issues? You don't strike me as the sort to advocate the total legalization of ALL drugs, including Heroin, crack and LSD. Most Libertarians are there for the well publicized stance on gun control. They're against it..... period. But they're for the drugs; for the gay marriage & adoption. Actually, Libertarianism comes pretty durn close to the position of the anarchists. PLUS suppose we did manage to elect a Libertarian President? What then? Unless the Libertarians were also able to seize control of both houses of Congress, the two major parties would just conspire to lock up all meaningful legislation until one of their own can retake the Oval Office. IMHO, if you belong to one of the two major parties and you don't like what you see...then work to change things from inside the organization!

If I were a believer that a vote for a 3rd party was anything except a vote for the "OTHER" party IOW wasted....I'd probably choose to align myself with the Constitutional Party. But we were deliberately designed to be a two party system with any and all third parties serving as the "spoiler." Ask Al Gore how he feels about the Greens.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links