The New MSOffice Package - Question

This is a discussion on The New MSOffice Package - Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been using MS Office for years. Fairly good at it. Every so often upgrades to a newer version & still okay. Now - This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New MSOffice Package - Question

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

I've been using MS Office for years. Fairly good at it. Every so often upgrades to a newer version & still okay.

Now - This newest version has a very different look for clicking at top for things.

With all other versions before - spellcheck and other things were still in same place - easy to find.

Now it's all a very different "look" - having a hard time finding \ clicking on common features.

Is there a way to change it back to the old look? If so - how do you do it?

Thanks...
    For God, Family and Country!

If you are talking about MS Office 2007, then I have some bad news. To my knowledge of it you have to relearn where things are.

Its been out for 2 years now and I still have to wait on my professors to stop in the middle of a lecture to figure out how to do something with it.

Just takes time to learn which tabs MS decided to put things in...

On a minor note -- I believe it has become a standard because once a couple people in a group start using it - then everyone has to. The older versions cannot read the file format of 2007 unless you specifically choose for it to save in the old format style.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I've been using MS Office for years. Fairly good at it. Every so often upgrades to a newer version & still okay.

Now - This newest version has a very different look for clicking at top for things.

With all other versions before - spellcheck and other things were still in same place - easy to find.

Now it's all a very different "look" - having a hard time finding \ clicking on common features.

Thanks...
    Just replaced my laptop after it died (which coincided with some idiot, who shall remain nameless, dumping a mug of coffee into it-the 5th Amendment enumerates that right.)

It came with the new MS2007. I worked with it for 2 documents, then trashed it and went back to 2003.

I'm fed up with enough change in the political environment. I don't need more aggravation when I am working....
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I use open office. It's free, works great, and reads 07 and 03 doc formats.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I use 03 at the office, and used it at home until I decided to switch to Ubuntu as my primary OS.

OpenOffice.org is a very good program but IMHO MS does it better (and if you're a fan of Access, OOo Base does not compare). The look and feel of OOo is very similar to MS Office 97 and 2003, but with slight variations.

The big detractor of OOo is that it is a serious resource hog. Don't try to run it on a slow computer.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I use open office. It's free, works great, and reads 07 and 03 doc formats.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

I have / use Openoffice at home - great program - but - work at the VA and can't install any software - strictly have to use what's standard for the VA in this area.
    Bummer....
    For God, Family and Country!

Are those actual organizational policies, or digitally imposed restrictions?

I've managed to use OOo and Firefox on my government computer through PortableApps. It doesn't modify any of your system files so Windows doesn't restrict it.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Apparently the only way to modify MS Office 2007 to look like previous editions is through 3rd party programs like High Performance Add-ins and Tools for Microsoft Office

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member

Policy where I worked, no software except what IT put

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Are those actual organizational policies, or digitally imposed restrictions?

I've managed to use OOo and Firefox on my government computer through PortableApps. It doesn't modify any of your system files so Windows doesn't restrict it.
    It was policy, if not actually illegal, for anyone but the IT folks to load a program.

During the 90s we used to have chaos with everyone putting their own programs on; some were illegal copies as well. Some came with viruses. It made the job of the network admins and help staff almost impossible.

By about 2000 the IT guys went through every computer in the building, removed everything then installed what they wanted us to have on the server, not the desktop. You could still request a program of your choice for special applications, but it had to be installed by IT. You couldn't even plug in a new scanner or printer.

In the end, the policy saved big bucks and made life easier on everyone.

I don't know policy where you work, but that was policy when I still worked for Uncle. I hated it at first, but got to really appreciate the benefits of a uniform suite of software with everyone able to share files through a server, and with IT guys fully familiar with the software that was installed.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My problem with Open Office, is that when I send out a CV (cirriculum vitae), the recipient frequently can't open it. It uses it's own system.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post

Thanks...

We use MS Office 7 but do not recommend that you use explorer 7 or 8, too many bugs.

Many of the features in MS Office 7 can only be used by enabling tool bars that you frequently use.

Everything and more is there, you just need to look for it and play around with it. It is not as user friendly for some as it should be.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    My problem with Open Office, is that when I send out a CV (cirriculum vitae), the recipient frequently can't open it. It uses it's own system.
    I am unfamiliar with a CV and it's formatting requirements, but if it is a document, you merely need to save it as .doc not the default .odt.

If it is not a document, let me know what it is and I'll look for a workaround if you want to still use OO.o

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Another thing I just remembered is that some programs can run off flash drives (ex: Firefox) - thus bypassing the need to actually install them on a work computer. I wonder if this would work with OpenOffice as well - assuming you are allowed to do so (use personal flash drives on company computers) within company policy and such.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

If you take the time to learn the hotkeys in MS office, you will find they are the same as they were in previous versions (F7 is spell check, etc).

I dumped windows and all their stuff when I had my one and only Vista Craptop; now I use linux and open office.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    If you take the time to learn the hotkeys in MS office, you will find they are the same as they were in previous versions (F7 is spell check, etc).

I dumped windows and all their stuff when I had my one and only Vista Craptop; now I use linux and open office.....
    God Bless you young man!!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links