Public Enemies

This is a discussion on Public Enemies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went to see Johnny Depp's new movie; Public Enemies, last night. I was pleasantly surprised at the good acting and, (reasonably for Hollywood), realistic ...

Thread: Public Enemies

Public Enemies

I went to see Johnny Depp's new movie; Public Enemies, last night. I was pleasantly surprised at the good acting and, (reasonably for Hollywood), realistic screenplay. I forget the name of the leading actress, but she was superb, and the film is worth seeing to see her acting. Johnny Depp is probably the most versatile actor in showbiz, right now. Don't like all of his films and styles, but the guy is a good actor and has skills no one else has.

As far as the movie staying with actual facts; it varies. Some is factual, some is strictly Hollywood drama. I think that the film was based loosely on facts, but mostly on a book.

If anyone is interested, Massad Ayoob has a blog about the film and the real historical events. He gives some real interesting info and links about what really took place and about the guns used in real life and the movie: Massad Ayoob

I really liked the Thompson submachine guns, which were expected to appear in a gangster movie, but the Browning BAR's were a nice surprise. Alot of cool guns in this show.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    If anyone is interested, Massad Ayoob has a blog about the film and the real historical events. He gives some real interesting info and links about what really took place and about the guns used in real life and the movie: Massad Ayoob
    If you're interested, you ought to take a look at the book the movie is based on: Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 by Bryan Burrough. I read it after seeing the film and it's really quite excellent.

Links