Liberal vs Consertative views on Rights

This is a discussion on Liberal vs Consertative views on Rights within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Was listening to a radio talk show the other night. They were discussing whether or not housing is a right. That if it is a ...

Thread: Liberal vs Consertative views on Rights

Was listening to a radio talk show the other night. They were discussing whether or not housing is a right. That if it is a right the government should supply it to those who cannot afford it on their own.

Now while I also believe that everyone has a right to housing of some sort, I do not believe they have a right to make other people pay for it. Where do folks get the idea that if they have a right to do something that the state must pay for it if they personally can't? Can anyone point out when or where this idea came into being?

Michael

The "tragedy of the commons" is an ugly thing. You put enough gravy in the trough, and then pretty soon you get others dipping their snouts more than their share. You can ultimately destroy the resource. You do it blindly and without accountability, then you can also breed entitlement generations.

IMO, a person has every right to go pursue what shelter one is able to find, so long as a person doesn't harm others doing so. Beyond that, let alone the expectation that others pay for it, a person has little claim at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Housing is not a right.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Housing is not a right.
    The point that I got from the show I was listening to was that if something is a right, then it must be provided free to those that can't afford it. I believe that in some cases the Courts have already said otherwise, such as free speach. The Government does not have to provide a platform for your speach.

If something is a right is beyond the question I was asking. My question was where did the idea of the Government having to pay for anyones rights come from? Pick anyone of the enumerated rights, does the Government have to supply them to those that cannot afford them? Wheres my taxpayer supplied firearm?

Michael

Administrator
    Housing - Sorry NOT RKBA/firearm or 2nd A related.

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly.
    For this reason, we generally discourage these subjects in our discussions.
    We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

Post it over on the Conservative Stronghold.

Sponsored Links