Computer question

Computer question

This is a discussion on Computer question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just upgraded to the newest Firefox and suddenly I am getting "low memory condition" alerts almost constantly. I switched over to Windows IE and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer question

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Computer question

I just upgraded to the newest Firefox and suddenly I am getting "low memory condition" alerts almost constantly.

I switched over to Windows IE and that thing is running like dialup in a third world country.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. It worked fine for a few minutes, but is now doing the same thing, although even having to constantly click the "memory" boxes away, it is still faster than WIE.

I have also noticed that in Firefox, most or all of my buttons disappear.

Anybody have a solution other than BUY MORE RAM (I have 512 on a Dell laptop)?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

512mb even if there is a underlieing problem I would still upgrade that ram to at least a gig. You can get a 1 gig stick for 20 bucks or so and pop in your PC in about 5 mins. Keep you 512 RAM in so you will have 1.5 gigs ram. As far as firefox goes you may have downloaded some "additional" software when you picked up firefox. I would run msconfig and alt control delete / process to see whats running in the back ground. If you anythign that shouldn't be there look it up for comformation then turn it off/remove it.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I am afraid that "buy more ram" is probably the best solution. Buying more ram is one of the, if not THE, cheapest and easiest way to upgrade the performance of a computer.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

OK I broke down and ordered 2G today for around $30. Hopefully I can get it installed without Murphy's help.

Should be a snap. By far a great investment.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Or just switch to Linux! ;)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Some options:
    1.Downgrade Firefox (3 isn't a whole lot better than 2)

2.Buy more RAM or
    2a. Increase you swap space/virtual memory

3.Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu or
    Home Page | Puppy Linux or
    www.damnsmalllinux.org or
    Main Page - Linux Mint

4.If you insist on using MS Windows, Black Viper's Web Site (to help you remove unneeded processes that waste your system resources)

5. Alternate browser
    Chrome, Can't vouch for it's system requirements because it doesn't run on any of my current OSs. When I was using XP, it was fast.
    Seamonkey. Similar to Firefox (uses Gecko) but significantly lower system requirements.
    Lynx, because you don't really want to look at pictures on the net.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Some options:
    1.Downgrade Firefox (3 isn't a whole lot better than 2)

2.Buy more RAM or
    2a. Increase you swap space/virtual memory

3.Xubuntu Home Page | Xubuntu or
    Home Page | Puppy Linux or
    www.damnsmalllinux.org or
    Main Page - Linux Mint

4.If you insist on using MS Windows, Black Viper's Web Site (to help you remove unneeded processes that waste your system resources)

5. Alternate browser
    Chrome, Can't vouch for it's system requirements because it doesn't run on any of my current OSs. When I was using XP, it was fast.
    Seamonkey. Similar to Firefox (uses Gecko) but significantly lower system requirements.
    Lynx, because you don't really want to look at pictures on the net.
    I second xubuntu as an alternative OS

I installed it on an OLD laptop that crashed, and it runs pretty well. Very stable and not too slow.
    Easier install and faster Linux learning curve that the other small distro's like Puppy or Damn Small.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    I just added two gig a few weeks ago and it has improved my machine's performance some, but not as much as I would have expected.

I use Google Chrome most to the time but keep IE8 as my default browser and
    and keep Firefox on here as well.

Browsers are kinda like guns and potato chips; you can't have just one.

I have been using Firefox for about 3 years now, maybe more. The only reason I have IE still on my system is one of my bank sites only allows access with IE. I think I have used IE three times in the last three years. I also only use Thunderbird for my mail program.

What anti virus do you run? If it is Norton Anti-Christ, I mean anti virus, you will have problems. That program is a massive resource hog and it will bog you, esp with newer programs.

Get AVG or Bulldog or another good free AV. It will help. If you have Norton/Symantic you will need to Google Norton Removal. A simple uninstall won't do it.

You can go to the PCMech forums and join for free. There you will get some great advice. It is worth it to pay for the premium part, but the free is great too.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Something I found over at Greybeard's:

A handful of Firefox tweaks that will double your browser speed : Boy Genius Report

Also make sure you have defragged and done a general clean up. All my MS experience is with DOS and Win9*, so I probably cannot help any more than that.

Just for the heck of it, I'd get a new hard drive and install Ubuntu or PC-BSD on it. You can stick the old hdd in a USB case so you can read it with your laptop and copy anything you want to the laptop disk.

Replacing the hdd is easier than replacing the main spring in a 1911, and a darn sight easier than working on an S&W. Just keep the Hoppes #9 out of it :D

I just tried those tweaks and it has ZZZZOOOOOOMED FF!! Thanks!!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!

I installed the ram and had the predictable 'speed-up' result. Yay for me.

Now more problems.

Can't re-install firefox.

Every time I try, I get a "7-ZIP" message about some temp file that won't work. I guess it would be too simple for the stupid computer to provide, say, a solution to this cryptic problem?

Yahoo mail kicks me off about every five minutes and I have to re-enter my username and password.

Every time I come back to sites that I have asked to "remember me", they don't.

I have checked my cookie thingies and all looks in order. I am at a loss!

for a laptop that is email and a few cheasy games I would install "bounceback".
    this is a disk imaging utlity that we use at our company on test laptops.

the laptop is loaded with the std stuff and an image is made.
    then a test softwhare setup is installed with the hardwhere drivers and the testing begins. when the testing is done and we want the laptop back to brand new condition, we run the bouncback and all changes are reverted. a very easy way to keep all the cokies, added garbage off your email and web serfing PC.
    and it is so easy, a caveman could use it.

BounceBack Backup Disaster Recovery Software | Instant PC Recovery

(no, this is not who I work for.)
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links