Can a Blackberry Storm still work after being wet?

This is a discussion on Can a Blackberry Storm still work after being wet? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The answer is YES! I dropped my Storm in the water pan of my smoker when cleaning it yesterday. The phone landed screen down. Anyone ...

Thread: Can a Blackberry Storm still work after being wet?

Can a Blackberry Storm still work after being wet?

The answer is YES! I dropped my Storm in the water pan of my smoker when cleaning it yesterday. The phone landed screen down. Anyone who has one knows that there are openings between the screen and the housing. Well I immediately removed the battery but neither it or the backside were wet. I wiped down the phone as best I could.

I read to put the phone in a bag of rice to help absorb whatever moisture is left and let it sit in a warm place for 24-48 hours. I put the battery back in and like Johnnie Five it was still ALIVE!

Everything seems to be working just fine. Fortunately if it does start to mess up I already have insurance on the phone just have to pay the deductible.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

2. Remove Ads

As with most electronics, water is not the enemy. It's the juice running through the circuits while wet. I worked for a recycler for a while and we used to "wash" modems, place them out to dry (usually a couple of days) clean the cases, re assemble. and sell them for a very tidy profit.

The big thing (and you already know this) is get the battery out, fast.

Yep, as dralarm indicated, keep the power off until it is completely dry. 'Lectrics and moisture don't get along well in circuitry.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

What the other guys said. I have washed two Blackberrys, saving one that I got out of the washer after only a few minutes of submersion. The other unit went through the whole wash cycle and it wasn't until I heard it making death screams that I realized it was in the washer. It really did make a long death scream. It was sad.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Why can't they make a waterproof phone? I've got a waterproof Nikon camera that is ten years old.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Ive read about the rice trick. Havent had to try it though.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    My experience w/turning in an insured phone for replacement: RUN OVER IT IN THE PARKING LOT PRIOR TO PUTTING IT IN FRONT OF THE SERVICE DESK. Don't allow them to repair it, force the replacement. Otherwise you'll be in for weeks of "it still acts funny" kind of hassles with the service guys.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Awhile back I was hiking a trail along the river with a friend, and we came across a large stream (4ft deep or so). The trail around it goes about a half mile upstream to cross, so instead we spotted a log fallen across the stream. You can probably guess what happened...yep, I failed. I fell a few feet from the log into the water and my cell phone came right out of my pocket. After about 5 minutes of fishing around the bottom of the stream we pulled it up...I let the water drain out the side, shook it a little and pressed the power button. It worked perfectly, and I immediately made a call to tell someone about how stupid I had been. That phone continued to serve me flawlessly for years after that.

I never would have thought it would do that, but it did. Water seemed to have no effect on the phone.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I got one to work the otherday that had been at the bottom of a hot tub for about 6 seconds.
    Yank the battery asap and dry all the components for a couple of days before putting power to it.
    Use a blow dryer and leave it in the car with the windows cracked to help with the evaporation. (DO NOT PUT IT ON THE DASH)
    It's not the water that kills them, it's the electricity jumping around where it shouldn't be because the water is shorting everything out. If you can get to it fast enough you might be alright.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    My experience w/turning in an insured phone for replacement: RUN OVER IT IN THE PARKING LOT PRIOR TO PUTTING IT IN FRONT OF THE SERVICE DESK. Don't allow them to repair it, force the replacement. Otherwise you'll be in for weeks of "it still acts funny" kind of hassles with the service guys.
    You must not have verizon. I must say they take care of me. I have had them replace a phone without going through the "insurance" process, and when I did have to use insurance, I paid my deductable and got a refurbd phone the next day, swapped esn's and returned it in a prepaid envelope.

Links