The Colony

The Colony

This is a discussion on The Colony within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am sitting here watching a premier of a new show on the Discovery Channel called the Colony. It is set up as a post ...

Thread: The Colony

The Colony

I am sitting here watching a premier of a new show on the Discovery Channel called the Colony.

It is set up as a post apocalyptic time, and there are 10 people that are holed up in a warehouse with minimal supplies of food water etc. The people are from various walks of life with one guy standing out in my mind as a moron. He is a handyman with security experience that is making some seriously stupid statements.

The one thing that I find amusing is that none of them have weapons. Yea, I know it is on the Discovery Channel, but like I told my wife, if ever there is a SHTF scenario we ain't going anywhere without guns and neither would these folks in reality if they had any at their homes before the simulated scenario in this show.

Anyway, this may turn out to be a good show, if nothing else to help us learn some of the things not to do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Watched it also and I agree the handyman is a can or two short of a six pack, although none brought weapons with them when confronted with the attempted break in they did arm themselves with what they had available. It may be interesting to watch to see how they handle other situations.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    is that the zombie looking one? I think I saw an ad for it yesterday. It looked interesting.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I ain't buying anybody fending off a band of roving hungry armed people with no weapons,Ain't gonna happen,grab a machete against a 45 and I will tell you which one will have a better ooutcome
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I was really wondering about weapons, even if they did not own any weapons, there would be a lot of discarded by military and police; based on their assumption that there has been mass loss of life. So, even assuming the colony did not find any weapons then we have to assume the 'vandal bikers' would likely have found the discarded weapons if they did not have their own. Realizing that this is a simulation, without the threat of "life or death" the simulation is not realistic.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    . Realizing that this is a simulation, without the threat of "life or death" the simulation is not realistic.
    I agree, my brother and I watched this last night and I set the DVR to record the season. I think they handyman (Mike is his name I think) is a tool honestly.

Literally the first thing I said when they walked up to the warehouse is, "if that was me, and thats where I was staying, I would remove the "SANCTUARY" from the fence to deter others.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 93civicsedan View Post

Literally the first thing I said when they walked up to the warehouse is, "if that was me, and thats where I was staying, I would remove the "SANCTUARY" from the fence to deter others.
    That and I would not try to live in a facility that is too large for the group of six then ten to defend. Oh and Mike is a tool, he was going to charge out and confront the intruder, while he was unarmed.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    is that the zombie looking one? I think I saw an ad for it yesterday. It looked interesting.
    No, no zombie's in this one, just ordinary people left to their own devices to try and cope and survive with minimal supplies.

Yea, it probably would be a good idea to remove the santuary sign off the outside of the building.

Even without the ability to bring their own weapons, I would be making some type of air gun or something that could be deployed from an upper floor/window against the bikers trying to get in at night. They seem to have plenty of pipe/tubing and other tools that this would be a real possibility. Maybe in the future episodes they will come up with something like it.

The layout of their place, about 3 acres is probably about the right size in all honesty for a group of 10 folks. I noticed some plants in this episode, although they didn't address them I caught glimpes of them in the camera. They had to provide them with some ability to produce food, and give them the space to do it within their compound. Food sources outside the walls of the compound would quickly be raided by any outsider.

Maybe this will be an interesting series. I can already see that some tension will be building within the group until a hierarchy is established. My guess is the old guy (computer/electrical engineer) that was running around naked in the rain at the end will be the one who is able to keep control of the group.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    - I know they didn't have firearms, but this is for good reason... If you recall the psychologist reading the Q cards: "The actors actually assume their role because of the isolation." My sister was involved in a survivor type scenario (set up of course) for a few weeks with her school last summer. When she came back it took her a few days to readjust to reality.

- The point is, if you gave them firearms, they would most likely use them!

- I would like to point out that they all grabbed pipes and other melee weapons.

- I personally would have done a few things differently, like set up a scouting party, set up an ambush the third night for the raiders. Mike had the right idea about getting one of the motorcycles, that could make gathering supplies vastly more efficient.

- I haven't watched tv in a while, but this might prove to be a show worth recording, or it could be another dumpy reality show... only time will tell.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

There are several vehicles within their compound already. They have not been interested in seeing if any of them are in working order, so why would you be concerned about stealing a motorcycle from the bandits outside the compound.

One thing to consider is that there only appeared to be two bandits outside the compound that night, it is unknown if 20 or so more might be lurking just out of sight, waiting for a breach in the compound wall, and waiting to overtake the ones that might venture out to get the motorcycle or do battle with the two that were sent out to test the compounds security or test the will of the folks inside it. Or if it was meerly a distraction so that a breach could be attempted at another point in the compound.

Yes this is a reality type show, and I understand why they wouldn't allow the 10 to have firearms, but in reality at least one or more would be armed with more than a pipe. The Discovery Channel should have some sort of disclaimer on some of the restrictions that they themselves imposed.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links