emergency fund anyone?

This is a discussion on emergency fund anyone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had one. Then on July 4th weekend, my dog almost died and needed emergency surgery. There went the emergency fund, the new gun fund, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emergency fund anyone?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I had one. Then on July 4th weekend, my dog almost died and needed emergency surgery. There went the emergency fund, the new gun fund, and the granite kitchen counters fund.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Stay armed...plan ahead financially...if you haven't, you can start right now...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    ha, now that's funny. NO, I mean your own personal emergency fund, a savings account that you never touch except in emergencies. You know a moneymarket savings account or something that you can draw from at any time, not an investment account.
    My savings is that way right now. I always add to it and can't(won't let myself) remove except for emergencies. I put money in my Paypal account to fund the fun stuff. I was able to save for my Glock using my Paypal and using my debit card and I bought my wife's Bersa that way as well. I also use it for ammo when I'm a little short on cash in my checking and I find ammo I can't pass up since there is always at least some money in there. My safety net is saving me right now because my wife is out of work right now. It is allowing me to pay her car payment until she's working again. I'll be able to float us for 3-4 months on that to give her plenty of time to find another job.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I did, but 7 months of unemployment has taken care of that! Once I start working somewhere, I'll start again. I don't have many expenses, wife paid cash for our house. So, I'll start saving again as soon as I can. That said, I'm into prepping for a possible SHTF situation, and so I still have a lot of provisions to buy, along with additional ammo, etc. So. I'll continue saving, but I do need to do that along with the expenses for prepping. Good thing I make good money when I'm working.

I'm in the process of saving for my "rainy day fund" as my late Dad called it when I was growing up. Dad was big on having enough emergency supplies for the entire family.

Dad had enough emergency food, water, supplies, etc in the basement of our home back in Rhode Island for up to a week. My Dad was a little ahead of his time with regard to emergency preparedness. He was one smart cookie if you ask me!

I can recall walking into our basement and seeing 4 full shelves of plastic gallon bottles of water. Next to that were shelves with a weeks supply of canned goods that we would have for the 6 of us. In another area of the basement was a box of flashlights, radios, batteries, etc. in case we lost the electricity.

I suspect that part of the reason he thought this way was that he grew up & went to school in the "drop, cover, etc." period when we all were supposed to have emergency supplies in case we were "nuked" by an enemy force.

Actually, I'll give you a great suggestion my Dad had my Mom do to start your emergency food supplies. Every time you go shopping buy 2-3 extra cans of some canned foods that you like and can add them to your emergency food box somewhere in your home. Slowly you will have quite a bit of "emergency" foods to use in case of emergency. Give this a try!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Yes, I had one and then my daughter got really sick and the fund was used to pay the bills, haven't been able to restore it since.

Absolutely.

We keep about 3 months worth of basic living expenses available and very liquid. You never know.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

If you can put some cash away you should. How much you trust your bank is a good question also. I like credit unions better, have't seen one of them "bailed out" yet. I'm grateful that my wife knows how to put the money aside, too many toys catch my attention!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Actually, I'll give you a great suggestion my Dad had my Mom do to start your emergency food supplies. Every time you go shopping buy 2-3 extra cans of some canned foods that you like and can add them to your emergency food box somewhere in your home. Slowly you will have quite a bit of "emergency" foods to use in case of emergency. Give this a try!
    Next you leverage that. Once you have a month worth of food saved up, stop shopping and start saving. Toward the end of the month, you start buying in bulk. Stash the difference between the case price and the each price, and use that for the next product.

You have to be able to stick to a budget, though. And you need a place to stash the bulk.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Yes, I had one and then my daughter got really sick and the fund was used to pay the bills, haven't been able to restore it since.
    Penny at a time. You'll get there.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    If you can put some cash away you should. How much you trust your bank is a good question also. I like credit unions better, have't seen one of them "bailed out" yet. I'm grateful that my wife knows how to put the money aside, too many toys catch my attention!
    Smaller bills are best. If a natural disaster strikes and you're still lucky enough to be out there buying necessities, chances are theymay not have much to make change. Our hurricane emergency kit (when we lived in FL) always contained a few hundred bucks in $1s, $5s, and $10s.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I had one, but this summer my business slowed WAAAY down, my largest client cut us off until Aug1.
    I ended up selling (GASP) a few guns and using the STHF fund to pay bills.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I had one, but this summer my business slowed WAAAY down, my largest client cut us off until Aug1.
    I ended up selling (GASP) a few guns and using the STHF fund to pay bills.
    Ben there, done that. Still hurts.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Not to mention, After you put your 15% into 401k, and if over 50, start doing the extra 500.00 per month, not a lot left for living
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links