Hydrogen powered cars that get 90 mpg... of urine.

This is a discussion on Hydrogen powered cars that get 90 mpg... of urine. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pee Power: New Technology Produces Hydrogen from Urine By Jace Shoemaker-... on July 21, 2009 Imagine a cheap and plentiful resource that could one day ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Pee Power: New Technology Produces Hydrogen from Urine
    By Jace Shoemaker-... on July 21, 2009

Imagine a cheap and plentiful resource that could one day fuel our cars and clean up wastewater at the same time. Dr. Gerardine Botte, Director of the Electrochemical Engineering Research Library (EERL) at Ohio University, has developed a cost-effective method that produces cheap hydrogen from urine.

Yes, urine.

Dr. Botte and a team of researchers have developed an inexpensive nickel-based electrode device that produces hydrogen from urine.

Until now, producing, storing and transporting hydrogen has been a costly process. Urea, a major component of urine, contains four hydrogen atoms per molecule, which are bonded to two atoms of nitrogen. The new technology uses electrolysis to break down the molecule using 0.37 volts which is applied across the cell. In comparison, extracting hydrogen from water uses large amounts of electricity; specifically, 1.23V is needed to split H20 molecules. Botte’s method uses less energy than it takes to extract hydrogen from water. Simply put: by placing the inexpensive electrode into urine and applying current, hydrogen is released.

tests were performed using both synthetic urine, made from dissolved urea, and human urine. The device is also small enough to be used in vehicles. Botte estimates a fuel cell urine-powered vehicle could potentially travel up to 90 miles per gallon. The current prototype, which measures about 3 x 3 x 1 inches, can produce up to 500 milliwatts of power. The team is working on creating larger scale versions of the electrolyzer.

The report was published in the Royal Society of Chemistry ChemComm.

Using urine for power is not new. In 2007, a Japanese company, Aqua Power System, developed a unique line of rechargeable batteries. Injecting water, beer, saliva or urine into the battery chamber using the included pipette, recharges the Non Pollution Power batteries. The batteries, also called NoPoPo, do not contain harmful mercury or lead, can power a flashlight for about 20 hours and can be stored up to 10 years.

"Pee power" may one day prove to be an inexpensive and readily available alternative source of fuel.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

ummm thanks... I just shot pepsi out of my nose

VIP Member
    Now that would be a whiz around town.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'll drink to that
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If this works, the government will be able to tax your pee!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

This would make the green beer at St Pats day the REAL green fuel.

"Don't mind me officer... just fillin' up the tank..."
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Come ON FRANK..... drink those last few beers quick , we need to get there by 6:00 and need some fuel.

Your honor, It was an emergency .... it was like this, I ran out of fuel and all that was available was all this beer I had in the trunk, well.......

(and I don't even drink)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    REMEMBER: turn the car OFF BEFORE refueling...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

That shouldn't be necessary, Paymeister... I mean, I can put away some brewskis, but not enough for my urine to become explosive...

Pee Power

"No Children we Can't go now, We don't have to Pee"
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

OK, I know how I can get a fill up, but what does my wife do?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

An extremely precarious acrobatic balancing act, worthy of Cirque du Soleil...?

Or a Big Gulp cup....

With this technology finally we might could tell foreign oil interests to piss off, literally.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links