We Need More Folks Like This Guy

This is a discussion on We Need More Folks Like This Guy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Calif. man pulls girl from burning SUV on freeway - Yahoo! News LOS ANGELES – The California Highway Patrol is calling a Southern California man ...

Thread: We Need More Folks Like This Guy

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Calif. man pulls girl from burning SUV on freeway - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES – The California Highway Patrol is calling a Southern California man a hero for rescuing a 3-year-old girl from a burning vehicle on a Los Angeles-area freeway.

John McDonald of West Covina was driving on Interstate 10 in El Monte Wednesday when he saw an overturned sports utility vehicle engulfed in flames.

Video footage shows him running to help as three people who escaped the burning SUV ran away. The CHP says the driver of the SUV shouted that her granddaughter was still inside, and McDonald went in to pull the girl out.

Both were treated for minor injuries.

McDonald told KABC-TV he jumped into action because he felt it was "something that needed to be done."

The cause of the crash is under investigation.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wow! PROOF that everyday heroes still exist. SUPERHEROES even. Hope they give this guy a very public "attaboy" for this.

Great post, thanks for sharing :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Saw this story on Fox news this morning, amazing! It goes to show that peolpl still exist that are willing to put it on the line for others they don't know out of a sense of duty.

How the **** do three people leave a 3 yr old in a burning vehicle - they were ok enough after the accident to be running. Unbelievable.

This is the second story of a little kid left in a burning vehicle I've seen in three days. In the other one, two off duty firemen ran three blocks, physically threw onlookers to the side, grabbed a knife (oh, the horror) from an onlooker, and took turns (10 - 15 sec at a time) to cut the kid loose. Kid wound up with 2 and 3 degree burns on 30% of it's body. If one of the onlookers had the courage to get in there when it first happened, they would have been hurt less than the firefighters and the kid wouldn't have been burned near as bad.

Senior Moderator
    Some people will not intervene under any circumstances.

They might get hurt. They might do something wrong. They might get sued. They might be late for work. They might....

all the while someone needs help.

he jumped into action because he felt it was "something that needed to be done."
    That pretty much separates the heros from the wannabee's and it's the same statement that is heard over and over.

My thanks and gratitude to Mr. McDonald.
    Well done.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Attaboy!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

My hat's off to that HERO

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Whenever I see these stories, I always hope that if I ever find myself in the same situation that I will have the courage to act.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

WOW! Running INTO fire,that takes "case hardened wedding tackle"
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

HotGuns - I understand that many/most won't intervene, but there were 3 people already in the vehicle that knew, or were the family of, the child - that's the part that really gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Whenever I see these stories, I always hope that if I ever find myself in the same situation that I will have the courage to act.
    absolutely, I hope to never have to be in a situation, or be a hero, but if I must, I pray I'll be on point when the time comes..

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    HotGuns - I understand that many/most won't intervene, but there were 3 people already in the vehicle that knew, or were the family of, the child - that's the part that really gets me.
    yeah...whats going to happen when the 3 year old grows up and understands what happened. Im sure the spotlight will fall on Mr McDonald's heroism and not the family members' cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    How the **** do three people leave a 3 yr old in a burning vehicle - they were ok enough after the accident to be running. Unbelievable.
    I can't understand leaving a child behind. I would give my life to save one of my children and quite honestly, someone else's too. I mean not to brag, but good God, how could you not?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

A true random act of kindness. I wish more people were like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links