Small TV suggestions needed

This is a discussion on Small TV suggestions needed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have to admit I know nothing about TV's, and I need to buy a small one for my bedroom. My current one crapped out. ...

Thread: Small TV suggestions needed

Administrator

I have to admit I know nothing about TV's, and I need to buy a small one for my bedroom. My current one crapped out.

I something right around 19" give or take, and must be under 300. It doesnt have to be fancy, just a decent picture is all I really ask.

What should I look at? I need to go in the morning, its killing me not being able to watch something while the wife watches a stupid movie.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd go with something like this:

Walmart.com: Viore 22" Class 1080p LCD HDTV, LC22VF59: TVs

It is a mere $239, offers full 1080p resolution (if you want to connect a Blu-Ray, upconverting DVD player, PS3, Xbox 360, etc. using HDMI), has an integrated analog/digital tuner (for compatibility with standard cable/satellite and digital over the air transmissions) and is just about the size you wanted. I'm unfamiliar with the brand, but for an occasional use TV, I would not hesitate to give it a try.

EDIT: Just found this - the SAME TV, with a progressive scan DVD player, for $1 cheaper!
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

Check out "tigerdirect.com" they have some phenomenal prices on small LCD TVs. I just bought and had shipped to Iraq a 27". Bought the TV for $350, for a 19 you are looking at under $200 from Tiger. I have purchased from Tiger Direct many times and have been pleased with everything. When shopping Tiger provides great descriptions and customer reviews to help guide your decision

In the states Tiger will have at your door in a couple of days, a small delay for great savings.

Look for resolution(like 4000:1) the higher the better and response time (like 4 ms) the smaller the better, big name brands do not make for better sets; mine is a Specter and has an absolutely great picture.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Check out "tigerdirect.com" they have some phenomenal prices on small LCD TVs. I just bought and had shipped to Iraq a 27". Bought the TV for $350, for a 19 you are looking at under $200 from Tiger. I have purchased from Tiger Direct many times and have been pleased with everything. When shopping Tiger provides great descriptions and customer reviews to help guide your decision

In the states Tiger will have at your door in a couple of days, a small delay for great savings.

Look for resolution(like 4000:1) the higher the better and response time (like 4 ms) the smaller the better, big name brands do not make for better sets; mine is a Specter and has an absolutely great picture.
    I think you mean contrast ratio, not resolution - the resolution is pixels x pixels, i.e. 1920x1080 for 1080p. This is a good suggestion, though, if you're utilizing a quality source and HDMI cables, viewing lots of fast motion (sporting events, video games). However, if all you're doing is watching standard definition via cable or satellite, IMO it is wasted money.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I would think 1080p on a 19" screen would only be useful if you were using it as a computer monitor...? I think 720p would look just as good at typical bedroom viewing distances. I found a chart that seems to say that at more than about 3 feet away, a 19" 720p is just as good as a 19" 1080p.

viewing distance and useful resolution

The smallest screen size on the chart is 20" on the 'X' axis, so you need to use your imagination to extend the diagonal lines a little further to the left...

If you are a member of Sam's Club...go to auctions.samsclub.com, there are some absolutely great deals on there especially right at what you are looking for size wise. Dont put in "www" in URL
    Here's a good example, http://auctions.samsclub.com/scripts...LotNo=80066232
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

1080p is great for things like the PS3 and blueray players, but 720p is fine for tv. In fact when side by side its almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    720p is fine for tv. In fact when side by side its almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.
    Especially in smaller TV's

Administrator
    Football season is coming too.

Its not going to get blu ray or anything like that, just regular cable TV.

Thanks for the talk back and forth, I'm learning as you guys debate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Football season is coming too.

Its not going to get blu ray or anything like that, just regular cable TV.

Thanks for the talk back and forth, I'm learning as you guys debate.
    Two different Consumer Reports (December 2008 and March 2009 perhaps?) had instructive articles on HDTV too.

Whatever you get I would recommend getting the extended warranty. I bought a 60'' RCA four years ago and we had trouble with it a month ago and they couldn't get parts. They told us to call Best Buy because we had purchased the service plan (we thought would be a waist of money but did anyway) and it would cover it.

They could not offer us a TV they had of comparable value so they gave us a store credit of 1800.00. When we bought the first one they were much higher in price than now so we ended up with a new TV, GPS, IPOD and some other tid bits with our leftover cashola.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Call Crutchfield.

Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Plasma TV

I bought a TV from them for my family room about two years ago and they were great.

They will help you select what you are looking for based on your price range and your “wants”.

For me, they even installed and hooked it up when they delivered it AND the halled away the old one that was dead and saved me the hassle having to dispose of a big, old, heavy (over 120 lbs) beast. And this was for no additional charge!

Links