Roper style Duty Boots - need recommendations

This is a discussion on Roper style Duty Boots - need recommendations within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm in need of a pair of boots for work. The agency requires that they be black, leather, and shineable. I require that they be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roper style Duty Boots - need recommendations

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

I'm in need of a pair of boots for work. The agency requires that they be black, leather, and shineable. I require that they be ropers, have a more rounded toe, and be comfortable for standing on concrete for long periods.

These Rocky Wellington Duty Boots, 6300 appear to meet the requirements, but I have no idea if they are comfortable for standing on concrete.

My Danners are good for walking, hiking, and climbing, but they are poor for standing around, which I do a lot of at work.

DC community, any recommendations?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

A guy I work with ( at an IL state prison) has that same pair of boots. I couldn't find them locally so I bought the Carhart wellington boot (light brown) and dyed them black w/ boot dye. Turnedout really well and are very comfortable.

Just out of curiosity, why the insistence on ropers as opposed to something lace-up that will give more support? I wear ropers a lot in civvies, but for boots to run/hump in, my danners do a pretty good job, and seem to support my ankles better.

As far as the ones shown above, no experience with the specific model, but Rocky makes a darn fine boot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by docholliday View Post
    A guy I work with ( at an IL state prison) has that same pair of boots. I couldn't find them locally so I bought the Carhart wellington boot (light brown) and dyed them black w/ boot dye. Turnedout really well and are very comfortable.
    Does he think the same of his Rockys? Are they nice for standing around?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why the insistence on ropers as opposed to something lace-up that will give more support? I wear ropers a lot in civvies, but for boots to run/hump in, my danners do a pretty good job, and seem to support my ankles better.
    Well, I run and hump in ropers a lot in plain clothes, but the purpose of these boots would be for standing and checking traffic as I prefer ropers to anything if I can get away with it. Any running would be minimal. My Danners would be for the walking and hiking days, but don't really fly for standing on the concrete.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I've not owned that particular style of boot but I have owned at least 6 pair of Rocky boots in the past and all have been very durable and very comfortable.

I prefer the Danner Striker II for walking and standing on concrete.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    The 5.11 atac are really super comfortable.
    I'm wearing a pair right now. The side zip feature is great.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    It's been a while since I've bought any, but Justin used to make a "Justin Work Boot" just like you are talking about........

I guess your discovering how hot it gets in South Texas in the summer,my AC quit fer about 4 hours,If the world as we know it ends I won't make it comfortable boots or not LOL.Stay safe and comfortable,if ya ever get to mcallen give me a headsup I'll buy ya a cup of coffee or sumpin
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I like Ropers and had a couple of pairs of the Justin boots. But, for standing a long time I think you need to be sure whatever you buy has lots of support for your arches and lots of padding, especially under the heel.

I think you are probably better off with something that will lace of zip like the tactical boots suggested in post 7 by QK.

Whatever you do, don't take them unless you're 150 % positive they fit right.
    Otherwise, your first day with them on the job will be one of your more unpleasant life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I guess your discovering how hot it gets in South Texas in the summer,my AC quit fer about 4 hours,If the world as we know it ends I won't make it comfortable boots or not LOL.Stay safe and comfortable,if ya ever get to mcallen give me a headsup I'll buy ya a cup of coffee or sumpin
    West Tennessee is hotter than my part of West Texas this time of year. I'm sitting here now with no air and only turn it on when my computer is getting too hot. The heat is no big deal... but that dang concrete at the checkpoint is hell on my knees.

Ive found in the past that the harder the sole of a boot the better for standing on cement for me. As far as boots go, I think Ariat makes the most comfy boots of anyone, but have no idea how'd they do for standing all day. I can wear my Ariat cowboy boots all day and they feel like tennis shoes to me.

Just got a new pair of Bates Delta-8 that have a jell / air heal. Very comfortable. Also have the side zip like rockys and 5-11.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

VIP Member
    I wear Justin Ropers all the time. In my opinion it's hard to beat Justin's. Might check out what's available from Sheplers.

Justin Roper & Wellington Boots

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Ive found in the past that the harder the sole of a boot the better for standing on cement for me. As far as boots go, I think Ariat makes the most comfy boots of anyone, but have no idea how'd they do for standing all day. I can wear my Ariat cowboy boots all day and they feel like tennis shoes to me.
    Ariat boots are what I wear day-to-day, but I can't find them in a suitable uniform boot. I wish I could find the ones that I have now in a black, polishable version.

I actually ordered these today. It may take me a couple tries to find the right size, but I'm going to. I hope they stand as well as they seem to advertise. Amazon.com: Wolverine® Men's 10" Raider MultiShox® Contour Welt™ Wellington Boots Black: Shoes

Thanks for the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links