Any other jazz musicians or fans on DC? - Page 2

Any other jazz musicians or fans on DC?

This is a discussion on Any other jazz musicians or fans on DC? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by PointnClick Stan sez... The only thing better than some fine jazz and some 12 year old Pinch is some fine jazz with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other jazz musicians or fans on DC?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Stan sez...

The only thing better than some fine jazz and some 12 year old Pinch is some fine jazz with some 25 year old Wild Turkey...

That's what God drinks, ya know... he told me so...

one nite...

a long time ago...

Tennessee whisky, a Dominican cigar and cool jazz. THAT's a nice night!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I listen to Jazz from time to time, but for me Jazz fusion always rocked my world; My absolute faves:

John McLaughlin
    Al Dimeola
    Chick Corea
    John Coltrane
    Pat Metheny
    Earl Klugh....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    HUGE jazz fan. I've been listening to a lot of Bill Evans lately. He will always rank as one of my top favorites. A lot of the newer vocal stuff is pretty good and I have been following the Japanese jazz scene a bit in the past couple of years. It has really opened up and there are some tremendous Japanese artists making themselves known.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Aww yeah!! What an awesome treat to wake up this morning and find that jazz is alive and well...thanks for the replies so far. SO many artists you've all mentioned that I need to hear.

One of my favorites recently, that I think everyone should hear at least once is The Yellowjackets, with Bob Mintzer (sax), Russell Ferrante (keyboards, piano), Jimmy Haslip (bass), and drummer (blanking on the name now...they've got a newer one). Their 2-disc live Mint Jam album is a MUST!! I'm not kidding. There are segments of songs from those albums that I've literally rewound and relistened to over and over for a hundred miles on car trips....they're modern, at least compared to most of my stuff, and incredible.

Pat Metheny fans....YES! Love Metheny...one of the pure genius' of guitar.

Speaking of genius'...Brecker. Michael Brecker is another of my current favorites. He's been all over, even in non-jazz (sax soloist on James Taylors' "I don't want to Be Lonely Tonight")

Endless good stuff with jazz...

What are some other "Must Hears"? I'd love to discover something new that just floors me (I only found the Yellowjackets a few years ago, although they've been around forever).

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of jazz. I've even foregone carry to visit Blues Alley in DC and hear it. I almost never go across the river to the land of the disarmed.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It's funny you mention Pat Metheny and smoking - one of my favorite tunes is "Third Wind." ;)

I started playing sax back in the 4th grade, played all through college (including one hell of a marching show back at umass lowell in 1998, Malaguena, My Spanish heart, and Third Wind)- dabbled a bit since then, mostly due to a stint working in the repair shop of a music store. I miss it, a lot. I've got a clarinet and an alto, but desperately want another tenor... but nobody is afraid that THOSE will get banned (except in my old schools... stupid school district), so I'm building my AR first. :)

I am the lead trumpet player in Detroit's busiest Swing/Big Band.

Rhythm Society Swing Orchestra
    www.rhythmsociety.net

Been playing 50 years and a big jazz fan. Started at 7.

I often use Patrick Hession, Maynard's lead player) and Mike Williams Basie lead player) as subs in our band.

3 members of our band are always armed, a big bit of peace of mind to the sheep in the band.

Saxes, yeah, Coltrane, Parker, and the recently late Sam Butera.

And then there are Faddis, Miles, Maynard, Doc, etc, etc.!

Two of my biggest passions.....
    Last edited by Trumpetchuck; July 28th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Mulligan is my favorite sax player... Faddis is absolutely amazing with the Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All-Star Band on Things to Come; his range and control, frankly, scares me.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I've always been very "guitar-centric"... listening to Stanley Jordan today....

If ya never heard of Stanley, no one plays guitar the way he does... as I understand the story, he was a pianist who found himself stranded somewhere with a guitar and he tried to teach himself to play it. But he did it "wrong"... with his piano background, he started playing the high notes with one hand and the low notes with the other...

The results are stunning... here's Stanley playing Stairway To Heaven, on two guitars...

Stairway To Heaven
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    If ya never heard of Stanley, no one plays guitar the way he does.
    Absolutely!

The first time I heard him, he was playing backup to the lead instrument (though I cannot recall the band nor the lead). His musicianship was extraordinary. Found several other bands he played with, then (in time) his own material. He's a unique. Imagine: part Earl Klugh, part Al DiMeola, part Bill Evans (if on guitar) ... and you'll have Stanley Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    I am the lead trumpet player in Detroit's busiest Swing/Big Band.

Rhythm Society Swing Orchestra
    www.rhythmsociety.net
    Y'all sound really tight. Nice rich sound!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Absolutely!

The first time I heard him, he was playing backup to the lead instrument (though I cannot recall the band nor the lead). His musicianship was extraordinary. Found several other bands he played with, then (in time) his own material. He's a unique. Imagine: part Earl Klugh, part Al DiMeola, part Bill Evans (if on guitar) ... and you'll have Stanley Jordan.

Y'all sound really tight. Nice rich sound!
    I was hooked the first time I heard him play Lady in my life
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Cool Yes: Jazz good!

Accountants and Jazz. How funny. I "am" both. I had about 400-500 jazz vinyls I'd only played on my Thorens turntable. Gave them all to my son to wake up his musical taste. It worked.

Airto, Flora Purim, Big band, early KC jazz, blues to fusion. Saw Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Chick Corea, Billy Cobham in various concerts..........started getting into Miles Davis and his disciples, son now sending me CD's of the oldies.....Armstrong, Dizzy, Art Blakey, Basie, Brubeck, Coltrane, Dorsey, Hampton, and all of the folks in between and outside of those boxes........etc. Getz, Goodman, Monk, Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter.

I love jazz a lot more than accounting, but accounting provides a pretty nice lifestyle. Darn I should have kept those vinyls.

Accounting = Logic, structure, symetry

Jazz = Everything else

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links