whats happened to society, or is it just this town? - Page 2

whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

This is a discussion on whats happened to society, or is it just this town? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My parents will roll over in there grave if I were to wear anything but a suit to a funeral. And I'm the king of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

My parents will roll over in there grave if I were to wear anything but a suit to a funeral. And I'm the king of casual.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    When people I know pass away, I put myself second to their families and dress appropriately. To me anything else is disrespectful to their families and to the deceased...apparently I'm in the minority...so it's obvious...it's not my town, it's the decay of society when people won't get off their "me" pedestals long enough to pay respect to the dead in a respectful way. "Isn't showing up good enough" That statement says it all...it's like...I don't give a crap but I came anyway.
    Well said. Dressing respectfully in church, or at a funeral is what people of a civilized society do.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    If I am going to a funeral, I wear nice clothes.

Unless I am there with the Patriot Guard, in which case I am in my riding gear. We're not usually inside the church, though, but standing the flagline outside.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Its just cloth,the most respect ive ever see paid to someone and the most sincere praying ive ever seen has been by US Marines in dirty,torn and bloody cammies,im just saying...
    That is not even close to same, friend.
    I think it's almost disrespectful to mention this here, completely different.

I'm glad to see there are a few people here with moral fiber.
    Actually, Ironmike made the whole point in a very succinct way. And that shallow definition of "moral fiber" shows the real concern. It's all about appearances. And make sure your flag pin in is on the right lapel.

Any group, of course, always has the right to set their own priorities. If you want a dress code, have a dress code. If you want to exclude someone from your gathering who's dressed "inappropriately", then that's your call. If you don't want someone in your church because they don't match the crowd, then by all means turn them away.

It would, however, be only common courtesy to publish the requirements of who may attend and in what garb. Individuals will make their own decisions about whether to attend or not.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    See, that's the beautiful thing about this country -- and this message board. We can all have vastly differing opinions, agree to disagree, and still remain part of the community.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    If I am going to a funeral, I wear nice clothes.

Unless I am there with the Patriot Guard, in which case I am in my riding gear. We're not usually inside the church, though, but standing the flagline outside.

Matt
    Thank you for your show of respect! I admire the Patriot Guard for what they do.

I'm one of those who has been to hundreds of funerals.
    I've also been to thousands of worship services. And those are just
    the ones I've conducted.

I don't much care what people where. I want them there. Now, I want them there for the right reasons. But, I've never been able to tell from the clothing what was going on in the heart. Just me. Broke my crystal ball last time I moved. Hasn't worked since.

We as a society, have become more informal. Good or bad, that's the way it is. I don't picture us going back any time soon. I don't wear a robe or a suit at our contemporary worship service. During the summer, I don't wear either even at the traditional service.

Now, I don't want 'revealing' clothing, or 'suggestive' clothing, or 'vulgar' clothing either. Mostly because, like it or not, it is distracting.

My first month at this congregation, down came a girl with spiked, colored hair, dog collar, piercings and tattoos. Different? For this place, absolutely. She was there every week. Her heart was in the right place, best I could tell from conversations we had. I'll take a handful of people like her any day over a bucketload of starched, button-downed folks who are there out of obligation only.

JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

When I was a kid in Brooklyn the men who went to a baseball game wore suits and fedoras. Church, funerals, weddings and even parades was time to put on your best.

I still follow the same dress code except for the ball park or the parade venue.
    Sometimes when I am at a funeral people take me for one of the funeral directors. Just old habits that I grew up with and find not to be a problem for me.

It's just as easy for me to put on a suit as it is to put on shorts and a tee shirt. Same goes for cruises. My wife and I follow the rules on formal nights and get a little tired of people saying "It's my vacation and I'll dress the way I like!!". There are other places on the ship to dress down for dinner and other cruise lines that are more informal...

OMO
    bosco

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I'll take a handful of people like her any day over a bucketload of starched, button-downed folks who are there out of obligation only.
    Well said Reverand!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

they could at least comb their hair like humans and tuck their shirt tails in, and not look like hookers.
    Welcome to the new millennium.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Actually, Ironmike made the whole point in a very succinct way. And that shallow definition of "moral fiber" shows the real concern. It's all about appearances. And make sure your flag pin in is on the right lapel.

Any group, of course, always has the right to set their own priorities. If you want a dress code, have a dress code. If you want to exclude someone from your gathering who's dressed "inappropriately", then that's your call. If you don't want someone in your church because they don't match the crowd, then by all means turn them away.

It would, however, be only common courtesy to publish the requirements of who may attend and in what garb. Individuals will make their own decisions about whether to attend or not.
    I honestly don't know how to respond to this in a "civilized" manner.

My first month at this congregation, down came a girl with spiked, colored hair, dog collar, piercings and tattoos. Different? For this place, absolutely. She was there every week. Her heart was in the right place, best I could tell from conversations we had. I'll take a handful of people like her any day over a bucketload of starched, button-downed folks who are there out of obligation only.
    I don't know how to explain that I don't think this is the same, I know it seems that way. I understand your reply perfectly and I agree with it. "God" is not concerned with the outside, it's the inside he's concerned with I know that, and the inside is makes people, not how they look, yea I know and agree. I dress like a slob most all the time, people wear jeans to our church all the time, even I will wear jeans on the days we cook at church, I've tried to say that it's not about the fact that they weren't wearing "Sunday" clothes, it's that they were wearing disrespectful clothes, I guess maybe it is because I was raised to show respect to others, that I have a hard time understanding people who weren't, but that certainly does not make me right.

See, that's the beautiful thing about this country -- and this message board. We can all have vastly differing opinions, agree to disagree, and still remain part of the community.
    Yes indeed, it's great that we can all argue a little but still be friends and still get along and still appreciate what everyone has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Valid points, but I get what jca1 is saying. It's about respect. You show up to a funeral, you're paying your respects to the deceased and their surviving loved ones. You should take some care to make sure you look like you care about your appearance, it's just respectful IMO.

When you go to Church, it's showing respect for God and your fellow worshippers, I believe it's the same thing there.

When you go to the barn who cares what the cows think? Dress how you want, wear your hair how you like, pay as much or as little attention to hygiene as you care to. But I think at a funeral it's disrespectful to look as though you just don't care.
    Thank you for pointing that out . . . too few people today understand that.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Respect is subjective. It amazes me the things that people find disrespectful. There are those incidents you can nod your head and say "yeah, I think that was disrespectful" and there are those incidents that you just wonder why the person thought he was being disrespected.

My ex-wife thinks it's disrespectful for people to call after 9. My cell phone becomes free after 9 so I understand when my daughter has someone calling at 9:30. It doesn't bother me. I know this isn't the same thing as being represented in this thread. My point is, we all have those scenarios that we don't see an issue and those that we do. Respect is subjective and I need no further evidence than this thread.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

I will answer the original question……”What’s happened to society?”

Answer………………LIBERALISM

I am kind of an old fashioned conservative guy: I open doors for the ladies and the elderly, remove my hat indoors, I say please and thank you, unless I’m in the middle of a project and running to the hardware store I never wear dirty clothes in public, stop and help folks broke down along the road, and even though I am pretty much of an atheist I never attend a church function (wedding, funeral etc) unless I wear a suit just out of respect for those that do believe and I am not offended by prayers at public functions.

Nothing good comes from a permissive society...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links