whats happened to society, or is it just this town? - Page 3

whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

This is a discussion on whats happened to society, or is it just this town? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [QUOTE=jca1;1238052]That is not even close to same, friend. I think it's almost disrespectful to mention this here, completely dif Actually JCA1 I do agree with ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

[QUOTE=jca1;1238052]That is not even close to same, friend.
    I think it's almost disrespectful to mention this here, completely dif

Actually JCA1 I do agree with you,churches, funerals,weddings and lodge night do require a higher standard of dress,but I dont belive you must dress fancy to be respectful.But yes please drag a comb thru that mop!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I will answer the original question……”What’s happened to society?”

Answer………………LIBERALISM

I am kind of an old fashioned conservative guy: I open doors for the ladies and the elderly, remove my hat indoors, I say please and thank you, unless I’m in the middle of a project and running to the hardware store I never wear dirty clothes in public, stop and help folks broke down along the road, and even though I am pretty much of an atheist I never attend a church function (wedding, funeral etc) unless I wear a suit just out of respect for those that do believe and I am not offended by prayers at public functions.
    I've grown up with it but I have to say.. I've never understood removing the hat inside. I don't remove any other piece of clothing. I know it's "considered" to be respectful but I have no idea why other than it being a social convention, i.e. it is seen as a sign of respect..

Personally, I could care less. Don't take your hat off for me!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

OK, this is my take on it. I think you should wear the best you have to show respect. If that is a torn t-shirt with bleached sleeves and torn jeans with freyed knees then so be it. But whatever you wear make it your best so that it shows you care.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    What does respect have to do with the way you dress. Especially saying good bye to a loved one.

If you never wear a suit and tie. But you are expected to at a funeral. Isn't that being somebody you are not? I personally will dress up for a funeral, Not a suit but nice shirt and pants. No tie either. Because I never wear one.

If that is not good enough for some people, Then that shows who has the problem. I don't have dress up to be respectfull just for them. Really judgmental people like this don't get any respect from me.

I went to a church, Yah I know, hard to believe. It was 6 or 7 years ago I went Like I always dressed. Black Pants, Black shirt, Mohawk Shades and black shoes , My piercings and tattooed arm went went along also. After the service a little old lady, put out her hand and thanked me for coming. I respect her. And I will always remember that.

Nobody else said hi or really even looked in my direction. Not even the people who invited me there. Because of what their friends might think.

But to this day I still remeber that little old lady and how nice she made me feel for not judging me.

The talk on the forum about respect for god and others is quite funny. Based on judeo-christian values that a majority here subscribe to, how many have received sermons or actually read from the good book about people making it to heaven by their attire or "respect" for other persons.

I've read about taking care of widows and orphans, loving god and your neighbor; however, I have never read anything about wearing "appropriate dress" so that others thoughts of what is proper is obeyed. Let's not forget the white washed sepulchres.

I could go on and on wrt my long and interesting spiritual journey, but I am sure some would consider it inflammatory.

Seems like way too many are judging hearts based on outward appearances. Good thing that JC did not do that.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post

I'm glad to see there are a few people here with moral fiber
    So I guess because some people here don't agree with you. That were un moral also. Now who has the holyer than thou attitude!!

1 Samuel 16:7 (New American Standard Bible)

7But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Bingo
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You want to show respect at my funeral? Be who you are & come as you like. My funeral will be a time to celebrate my life & will be party time. Don't bother with a jacket & tie. By the end of the night, you're not gonna be wearing it anyway.

People in church should be more concerned with what the Pastor is teaching, than that I'm wearing flip flops.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Bingo
    Only on Saturday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAz View Post
    You want to show respect at my funeral? Be who you are & come as you like. My funeral will be a time to celebrate my life & will be party time. Don't bother with a jacket & tie. By the end of the night, you're not gonna be wearing it anyway.

People in church should be more concerned with what the Pastor is teaching, than that I'm wearing flip flops.
    exactly.

I attended a funeral for a friend and member of my hunt club earlier this year. He had died suddenly at an early age(late 30s). In addition to being a deer hunter, he was also a biker and was well known among all bikers in the area, including so caller 1 percenters. The funeral was something to behold. The funeral was too large for the funeral home chapel, so a large tabernacle was rented. There were attendees dressed as you described, members of the hunt club in suits and, at the request of the family, blaze orange hats, and many many bikers in their club colors. The procession stretched for nearly 10 miles, with several hundred bikes leading the way. At the grave site, they ran out of parking and had to start parking people in the parking lots of buildings on the other side of the highway. It was an amazing funeral and all kinds of people and dress styles were welcomed

Too many times I've seen and heard the term "disrespect" when the truth of the matter is that the term is being misapplied.

Most of the time the term "intolerance" is a better match for the events being described. And usually on the part of the person decrying the lack of respect.

Liberal or conservative, what a person wears as clothing is of no concern to anyone else. How a person LOOKS is irrelevant. If the reverse were to be true, then the measure of respect of person gets would be based on what they wear or how beautiful they are instead of what they accomplish in life.

Would YOU prefer to be measured by that standard?

OK, I've thought about this whole thing a lot today and yesterday, Ive re-read a lot of the posts here including my own and i think I have learned some things. I also think I have been understood, or miscommunicated my feelings.

1) I do not judge people by the way they dress or look, but at the same time I do think a book that looks like a love story, will likely be a love story, and if a person dresses like a love story they should expect to be viewed as a love story and if they don't like it they should grow up or dress another way that their fragile little brains can handle.
    2) I appreciate everything everyone has had to say, and much of what I have read has helped me.
    3) I guess that I learned to wear nice stuff to certain events and some people did not, that does not make me right or them wrong or vice versa.

4) I think a lot of my issues with this funeral actually were derived over an event that angered me severely concerning the person who passed and a member of their family before the funeral and before the person's passing actually. I guess I felt like everyone was trying to disrespect the deceased in the same manner, and She was a good woman that I cared for very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    if they don't like it they should grow up or dress another way that their fragile little brains can handle.
    but thats not the point, the person who is not dressed up isnt the one whos offended, its the person who is dressed up who is upset at how the 1st person looks. so if the guy in shorts and a t shirt is completely fine with how he looks at said funeral, then why should he change when its someone else who is offended? sounds like the second person should grow up and not care so much what people look like on the outside.

EDIT:
    to put this in more of a context, i have 5 facial piercings that i wear 24/7. no matter where im going, or who im going to be around, funerals, church(when i still went), work, school . . . whatever. do you think that just because some one doesnt like the way i look im going to change that based on their opinion? you'd have to be stupid to think that im going to dress or look a part that im not comfortable with(without my piercings). you dont like the way i look, tough ****. beacuse if youre going to be that superficial about things then chances are you arent worth my time fighting with anyway. granted most of my family dosent agree with what i have done, or plan on doing, but its how i feel most comfortable, and altthough they dont agree they still RESPECT me enough to let me do my thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links