whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

This is a discussion on whats happened to society, or is it just this town? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to a funeral this evening. There were a bunch of people there(young and older) wearing cargo shorts and t-shirts, jeans and t-shirts, girls dressed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats happened to society, or is it just this town?

Went to a funeral this evening. There were a bunch of people there(young and older) wearing cargo shorts and t-shirts, jeans and t-shirts, girls dressed like hookers, one guy wife some spiked up goofy looking haircut, all with their shirt tails out, etc. The last funeral we went to was similar....I know everyone doesn't own a suit and such, some don't even own dressy clothes, but they could at least comb their hair like humans and tuck their shirt tails in, and not look like hookers.

The vast majority of people I know dress appropriately for weddings, funerals, etc. But there are people who "march to the beat of a different drummer" as it were. They don't care what is the "norm" is when it comes to dressing in proper attire for event. I don't like it much either. All we can to is just bite our tongues and hope they leave ASAP!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 28th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

most of the funerals ive been to (and yes there have been ALOT in my short years) ive gone in jeans and a T shirt. not to prove anything or "to march to a different drum" but because its how the deceased knew me, how we hung out, and how i rember them, and how they would want me to be. just as i wouldnt want them to wear a bunch of fancy uncomfortable clothes, just to be "normal" in the eyes of a bunch of people i dont know. jeans and a t shirt is my normal, and everyone who matters knows it. besides, im not there for them, im there for ME.

Frankly, who cares how you dress for a funeral? Certainly not the deceased! And anyone else who was close should be happy that anyone showed up at all, rather than worrying about following some silly dress code.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Valid points, but I get what jca1 is saying. It's about respect. You show up to a funeral, you're paying your respects to the deceased and their surviving loved ones. You should take some care to make sure you look like you care about your appearance, it's just respectful IMO.

When you go to Church, it's showing respect for God and your fellow worshippers, I believe it's the same thing there.

When you go to the barn who cares what the cows think? Dress how you want, wear your hair how you like, pay as much or as little attention to hygiene as you care to. But I think at a funeral it's disrespectful to look as though you just don't care.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Valid points, but I get what jca1 is saying. It's about respect. You show up to a funeral, you're paying your respects to the deceased and their surviving loved ones. You should take some care to make sure you look like you care about your appearance, it's just respectful IMO.

When you go to Church, it's showing respect for God and your fellow worshippers, I believe it's the same thing there.

When you go to the barn who cares what the cows think? Dress how you want, wear your hair how you like, pay as much or as little attention to hygiene as you care to. But I think at a funeral it's disrespectful to look as though you just don't care.
    good thing i dont go to church then ;)
    isnt going to church and choosing to worship said god enough?
    im pretty sure god dosent care what you look like.
    clothes dont make the man. whats beneath them makes you who you are.

in my opinion THAT (this whole having to comform to a set rule or standard, just beacuse its what society deems "normal" at the time) is what is truly wrong with society. people care too much what other people look and dress like.

dont judge a book by its cover. read the damn thing before you make a decision. :)

I want MY funeral mandatory casual dress, and held at Hooters.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    damn straight!
    ill settle for a couple kegs and maybe one of those whole roasted pig things. always wanted one of them ;)

All the funerals I've attended even even as a child growing up we were expected to dress out of respect for the grieving family. I've been to more than a few funerals in my life. Now if, and this is a BIG if, the family requested casual attire that's another thing altogether. I would abide by the dress code as requested by grieving family.

If someone were to arrive at the funeral of an immediate family member wearing t-shirts, cargo pants, shorts, young ladies in revealing clothing, etc. they would be welcome to some degree.

My family would request that the "inappropriately" dressed individuals pay their respects & leave as quickly as possible. Maybe I'm a little "traditional" in my thinking but that's the way I was raised.

Dressing like you are going to a beach party, wearing revealing clothing to a funerals is in bad taste from my point of view. FWIW
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Tremendous answer.

Just went through this and understand what you are saying. The most respect shown when I went to a recent funeral was an older gentleman in his late 60's or early 70's standing on the side of the road took off his hat as we drove by, you just don't see this anymore.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Its just cloth,the most respect ive ever see paid to someone and the most sincere praying ive ever seen has been by US Marines in dirty,torn and bloody cammies,im just saying...
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Its just cloth,the most respect ive ever see paid to someone and the most sincere praying ive ever seen has been by US Marines in dirty,torn and bloody cammies,im just saying...
    That is not even close to same, friend.
    I think it's almost disrespectful to mention this here, completely different.

I'm glad to see there are a few people here with moral fiber

good thing i dont go to church then ;)
    That pretty much says it all

This makes no sense to me, but this is the only way it seems appropriate to me for everyone to dress ragged....by request.

By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with jeans, but a nice shirt tucked would be nice, instead of some hippie ass crap with a maryjane leaf on it. I wear jeans and shorts everyday except Sunday and only wear suits at funerals and weddings, i don't like to dress up either and all my friends know me that way too. When people I know pass away, I put myself second to their families and dress appropriately. To me anything else is disrespectful to their families and to the deceased...apparently I'm in the minority...so it's obvious...it's not my town, it's the decay of society when people won't get off their "me" pedastals long enough to pay respect to the dead in a respectful way. "Isn't showing up good enough" That statement says it all...it's like...I don't give a crap but I came anyway.

I don't think it matters what one wears to a funeral, but I do understand the OP thinking. Its a difference in how people were raised, things were different when our parents and grand parents were growing up, wearing your Sunday best emant something different tohan it does today. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    All the funerals I've attended even even as a child growing up we were expected to dress out of respect for the grieving family. I've been to more than a few funerals in my life. Now if, and this is a BIG if, the family requested casual attire that's another thing altogether. I would abide by the dress code as requested by grieving family.

If someone were to arrive at the funeral of an immediate family member wearing t-shirts, cargo pants, shorts, young ladies in revealing clothing, etc. they would be welcome to some degree.

My family would request that the "inappropriately" dressed individuals pay their respects & leave as quickly as possible. Maybe I'm a little "traditional" in my thinking but that's the way I was raised. It's become obvious to traditional conservatives like me that we have lost the culture war.

Dressing like you are going to a beach party, wearing revealing clothing to a funerals is in bad taste from my point of view. FWIW
    I could not agree more! This has bothered me as well. Everyone is too concerned about their own comfort or style to grow up and show some respect. I work in IT, which means that I can dress pretty casual, which I do. But when it's time to go to church, a wedding, a funeral, or court, I dress appropriately. It's not about you, it's about respect towards the deceased, their family, and God.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links