Question to the religious folks

This is a discussion on Question to the religious folks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think about weird things in the shower...so I got one for ya'll: This is a serious question and not at all meant to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to the religious folks

I think about weird things in the shower...so I got one for ya'll:

This is a serious question and not at all meant to be mocking in anyway.

If you're part of a jury that convicts a person to death, does that make you guilty of murder in the eyes of the Lord? I ask this because "thou shalt not kill" doesn't specify whether you do the killing or just want the killing.

Yeah, have fun with this one...

Good question??????
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I say no, it doesn't. God created the human profession of Judges to help the people resolve disputes. If someone has been convicted of a crime that warrants death then they have obviously done something very wrong in the eyes of humanity.

Just my opinion.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I wondered that myself for a while. Here's how I see it. I personally could NOT be on a Jury where the Death Sentence was an option, but I am a firm believe in the Death Penalty. Yeah, I know, it's a coward's way out. I feel like there is only one person who should stand in the Judgment Seat, and that is definitely not me. On the other hand, I feel like we need the Death Penalty, and isn't there some REALLY SPECIAL place in Hell (can I say that here?) for those who perpetrate crimes against little children?

Then again, I carry a gun and am absolutely prepared to take a life in defense of my own or my family's.

Sorry, that wasn't any help at all, was it? :(
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I have studied this. I believe that the "Do not kill" command is a mistranslation. It appears that the original text was more like "Do not murder."

In fact, in the new testament most translations use the word murder when Jesus reiterates this command.

Genesis 9:6

Whoever sheds the blood of a human, by a human shall that person's blood be shed; for in his own image God made humankind.

bosco

VIP Member
    If you subscribe to the belief that there are such things as just wars and justifiable homicides (as most Christians do), then "though shalt not kill" has a lot of small print underneath. I think, considering how much death occurs in the Bible (and often at the hands of the "heros"), that "though shall not murder" is a more reasonable interpretation.

Then again, I have no dog in this particular fight...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Rule #9, from Forum Rules...

"9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus."

I don't suspect this one will last very long.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    I cannot answer as to the religious aspects of it but having been a juror in a capitol murder case that was one of the toughest decisions I have ever made. After we found the defendant guilty then began the sentencing deliberations. We were given a three-page mitigating circumstances list that would preclude the death penalty that we had to check off. Once going through that we began the discussion of the case and the appropriate penalty. After three days we were deadlocked at 10-2 for death and since the death penalty requires a unanimous decision we had to give him life with out the possibility of parole. Hopefully if I am picked as a juror again that will not be a decision I will not have to make again.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    I think about weird things in the shower...so I got one for ya'll:

This is a serious question and not at all meant to be mocking in anyway.

If you're part of a jury that convicts a person to death, does that make you guilty of murder in the eyes of the Lord? I ask this because "thou shalt not kill" doesn't specify whether you do the killing or just want the killing.

Yeah, have fun with this one...
    It's a contradiction to other passages in the bible if you read it that way. What about the instances where "God" commanded his people to go to war or to kill entire towns and leave nothing alive up to and including women, children, cows, sheep, dogs..EVERYTHING.

If I remember correctly "Thou Shalt Not Kill" has a different translation in the original greek and hebrew texts... Like "Thou Shalt Not Murder".
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The bible also says "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" The punishment is befittin the crime. It also says the "wages of sin is death."
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The Commandment "Thou Shalt not kill" is a mistranslation; shedding light on this check out this link:

Thou Shall Not Kill: Does God Violate His Own Commandment?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Nobody ever accused me of being a Biblical Scholar, but my take on it is, it comes down to what is in your heart when making these decisions.
    If you want the bad guy to fry and are happy at the chance to make it happen, then it could be morally viewed as murder.
    Just my $.02...

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    I have studied this. I believe that the "Do not kill" command is a mistranslation. It appears that the original text was more like "Do not murder."

In fact, in the new testament most translations use the word murder when Jesus reiterates this command.
    As with politics religion is a very personal matter. But the above quote is basically how I interpret it. As with self defense. If I were to take someones life to save my own, although it may be considered semantics, I believe that person caused his/her own death through their choices and actions and I would have just been the tool used to facilitate the end. Then I would ask for forgiveness just in case it may be needed.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The Commandment "Thou Shalt not kill" is a mistranslation; shedding light on this check out this link:

Thou Shall Not Kill: Does God Violate His Own Commandment?
    Thank you for posting this, I found it very informative and a great read.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links