Went For a Oil Change

Went For a Oil Change

This is a discussion on Went For a Oil Change within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Took the old ladies Ride down for a oil change 21$ for a full service not bad.. So while I'm there i notice if your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Went For a Oil Change

Took the old ladies Ride down for a oil change 21$ for a full service not bad..

So while I'm there i notice if your car uses 5W-20 Its 25.95$ Now what's up with that ?

I've been a car guy for years and not heard much about 5w-20 but come to find out the new/used Ride we bought last week uses guess what 5w-20.

So i get online and start searching out oil and dang 2.88 a quart got to head to walmart or kmart to see how much they get for it.

then also go to crawl under the new ride and see if i wanna change it ..

What a joke 2.88 a quart for just regular oil no synthetic or anything.

Thats expensive for regular oil. I do use full synthetic, but last time I changed it it was up almost two bucks a quart! I asked why the increase in cost - the answer: Oh the price of oil has gone up!!!!
    Live Free or Die

But ya know i didn't feel bad when them guys changed it I'm glad i don't do that much anymore ..

Ill probley find something synthetic for my ride and go with it i wont do 3k in 6 months probley might go amsoil .. Go searching on line and the 5w20 is a scam to get the fuel mileage higher for the fleet for the feds says you can use 5-30 and get same mileage

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Bud,

I don't know if I would worry about the price of oil for the car, as much as I would about the space available in the dog house after the "Old Lady" comment.

You might get a and a

Just kidding,

Sounds like just another way for the oil companies to and us all.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    Puzzles me too re the cost.

The ''5-20" anyways is only the SAE rating - but does mean that when cold the viscosity is real low, so good for cold starts but once hot reaches a 20 rating so ''thickens'' a bit. The 5-30 suggests it runs thicker at op' temp's so marginally more drag I guess. In areas that do not get too cold, or are even on hot side then 10-30 is often a good option.

I thought most lubes now were at least semi synthetics and of course many are fully so. At least the quick-lube type places buy in bulk which is bound to get price down.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    What kind of car Bud? I have had trucks for so long, I really don't know what the standard for cars is. However, we always used 10-30 in the GM vehicles we serviced, when I worked in a garage.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Mazda SUV i always used 10-30 myself too course dads 96 chevy calls for 5-30 after way to much searching today its gonna get 5-30 some form of synthetic probley amsoil since i never reach the 3000 in 3 months so far i have drove 40 miles and had it a week

Do you have the early bird special in MI? We do here (Missouri) $19.99 before 9:00 am.

I'd try that before crawling underneath a new car. I only change the oil in my T.A.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

no matter what its getting 5-30 so price will go down

My vehicle uses 5W-20 and I don't pay extra. Of course I get oil changes at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    My vehicle uses 5W-20 and I don't pay extra. Of course I get oil changes at the dealer.

your all ready paying enough going to the dealer

True, but after working for GM customer service I much prefer to spend a little extra at the dealer and save a lot of hassles later. It's true some dealers are crooks but so are a lot of independent shops.

I worked at the Stealer too couple of them as the mechanic after that i wont take a car to the stealer other than warrenty work

10w30 will work just fine in the spring/summer/fall.
    the 5w20 is a way to cut down internal friction for better mpg as has been mentioned here.
    it's not really worth the extra expense, and if you don't want to shell out the $$$ for full synthetic, try a synthetic blend. not as good as full synthetic, but better than regular oil.
    btw, regular oil isn't bad if changed regularly. i got an '84 olds with 285,000 miles using whatever was on sale as long as it met oil spec sf/sg.

like i said after putting way to much time into this today to find out ill probley go with amsoil in it since i put no miles on a car didnt even want another one but old lady made the choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links