Elk in Ogemaw County, MI?

This is a discussion on Elk in Ogemaw County, MI? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here are a few questions I hope someone with more experience could confirm: Do elk bulls / cows ever bugle at 2AM? Maybe not to ...

Thread: Elk in Ogemaw County, MI?

Elk in Ogemaw County, MI?

Here are a few questions I hope someone with more experience could confirm:

Do elk bulls / cows ever bugle at 2AM? Maybe not to mate, but challenge a threat?

Do elk run faster then white tail?

Also, in hindsight, if it was an elk, good thing I was unloaded at the time (was on the porch, headed in for church) as it would have been poaching, right?

In a different thread I was wondering if I observed a doe mule deer in Mid-MI back on Sunday morning, between 10:00 AM to to 10:45 AM, on 11/16/08, in Ogemaw County, MI.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1235878

In that thread, someone suggested elk. At first I doubted this option. Now I've been shown a few more pictures of elk, and some don't all have large snouts and can turn much lighter, along with an almost white tail. While I did not pay close attention to the tail, I don't think it had mule deer ears, and it did not take bounding leaps or run by stotting.

I have also mentioned to others that the doe (cow?) I observed ran fast. I was informed today that elk run 10 or so mph faster than a white tail. In Oscoda MI, just north of Ogemaw, there are Elk Hunts. Ogemaw is closed to Elk hunting.

Then I remembered a noise my nephew and I heard (really loud) when we were putting out a campfire around 2 AM on 07/05/09 (30 or so feet away from where I observed the doe / cow on 11/16/08). The noise was made three times. On the second time I responded, making a noise like someone having relations, I know immature, but I thought I was being messed with. I did get a response, and it changed the third time. I forgot about it, but you have to understand, we figured someone was messing with us (cousins do that to us city-folk). I don't get to hunt much, and have never considered elk hunting, and never watched elk related hunting shows. THe last two days I've been watching a few hunting shows on the Outdoor / Sportsman channel, and I think I head an elk on 07/05/09.

Based on the responses (and after I have my nephew hear an elk bugle), I think I may post a sighting with the MI DNR.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I wonder what the elk thought they heard.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

There are Elk in Northern Michigan. I personally have never seen or heard them outside of the farm, but friends of mine head up to listen to them bugle in the fall.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Nephew (16 year old) and I listened to Elk bugle, and he said it does sound about right. So I told his father (my oldest brother).

Then he and my other brother (both older then me) told me 5+ years ago my oldest brother observed a buck that was behind a group of white-tail (so farther away) that just towered over the other deer. They checked the tracks, and it was much larger.

I imagine my whole family sounds like a bunch of rookies, but only hunting we have done is some bird (mostly my father), turkey, rabbit, and white-tail. We just never considered an elk possibility.

So it looks like my family's acreage has elk on it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

So it looks like my family's acreage has elk on it.
    Let me know if you need help eliminating those pesky critters. LOL since it sounds like the state protects them in your county.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Links