Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag

This is a discussion on Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry.. that is funny.. LOL.. Ya have to wonder how they communicate to each other,......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag

Sorry.. that is funny.. LOL.. Ya have to wonder how they communicate to each other,...

2. Remove Ads

You could eat a bunch of cabbage and go fart on them

really I thought this was going to be a "look how I sight my rifle in" thread, that woulda been awsome.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    First....mission accomplished. I'm still alive. The 300 mag pentrated the dead oak so I could get on the backside and spray in to the holes above the nest. Keep in mind that I started backing them down last night so they weren't fully represented. I found out that you cannot deal with these things at night; Not like yellow jackets. These guys don't sleep and they post sentries (like 20-30) on the outside of the hole where the next is. They "ATTACK" white lights like headlights or a flashlight that you might use to deal with them in the dark.

I'm wearing them down. But I won't believe that I'm ahead of the game until I watch the tree daily for 2 weeks w/no activity. These buggers are mean.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Really, if you soak a rag in gasoline, get to wear you can lob it into the hole....no more hornets, and you're right.... hornets are just plain mean when you get too close

1 teaspoon of gas in a ground bee(yellow jacket)nest, will do the trick

Another alternative to gas is to flash the nest hole w/ about half a paper cup of seven dust... & run of course<G>.
    They will track the dry powder all inside the nest as they go in & out.
    I've had perfect results w/ yellow jackets doing this one.

This is straying off a little, but have any of you gassed a ground bee nest and then dug it up? I have...they are very cool and very large, kinda like pancakes stacked on top of each other.

VIP Member
    Back when I was little maybe 8 or 9 years old my grandfather found a hornets in a tree near the barn, he went back up to the house grabbed the shotgun brought it back and stuck the muzzle up the hole in the bottom of the nest and pulled the trigger, NOT a good idea, to this day it still amazes me how fast grandpa could run.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My dad had a nest of bees (dont know what kind. Maybe hornets?) living underground in his back yard. They would get mad and sting him everytime he mowed. He found where they were coming out of the ground at. He got his shop vac and a broom. Went out and turned the vac on and put the nozzle down to the ground where the exit was and started beating the ground with the broom. Here they came and got sucked up in the shop vac. Worked like a charm. This is the same man that also caught a wood pecker that was pecking on his house in a mouse trap. He tried to electrocute it with a cut off extension cord but it didnt work. lol He has tooo much free time on his hands. Sorry to hijack. Carry on.

these bee stories are too much.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    My dad had a nest of bees (dont know what kind. Maybe hornets?) living underground in his back yard. They would get mad and sting him everytime he mowed. He found where they were coming out of the ground at. He got his shop vac and a broom. Went out and turned the vac on and put the nozzle down to the ground where the exit was and started beating the ground with the broom. Here they came and got sucked up in the shop vac. Worked like a charm. This is the same man that also caught a wood pecker that was pecking on his house in a mouse trap. He tried to electrocute it with a cut off extension cord but it didnt work. lol He has tooo much free time on his hands. Sorry to hijack. Carry on.
    This is hilarious

oil and gas

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Really, if you soak a rag in gasoline, get to wear you can lob it into the hole....no more hornets, and you're right.... hornets are just plain mean when you get too close

1 teaspoon of gas in a ground bee(yellow jacket)nest, will do the trick
    I mix oil and gas, oil makes it hard for them to fly and burns longer once you light them up.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    I mix oil and gas, oil makes it hard for them to fly and burns longer once you light them up.
    You don't light it, you just let the fumes get em.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Is this the "little guy" we're speaking of?

Seems to me such a beast could carry a coconut ... gripped by the husk, no less ... a simple matter of weight ratios.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yep that's the monster.

Another thing I learned about yellow jackets, regular ground bees, they get the scent of the person that messes with their nest. If you step on it they will come after you and only you, I could walk right up to the nest and pick up a stick laying beside it with no problems, but the bees would chase you all around.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I'm sure some of our Northern friends are wondering why we're laughing our butts off at "Hey Y'alll, watch this"

LOVE it.
    Good luck!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links