Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag

This is a discussion on Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of years ago my wife and I bought 17 acres of farmland w/2-3 acres of woods. A demented retirement plan. Anyway, we're slowly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Hunting hornets w/a 300 Win mag

A couple of years ago my wife and I bought 17 acres of farmland w/2-3 acres of woods. A demented retirement plan. Anyway, we're slowly working it (fencing, barns, blah blah blah). One thing that we seem to have plenty of is European hornets. The oversized yellow jacket looking ones about half the size of your thumb. They nest in hollow tree trunks, typically opposite of the prevailing winds. BTW, the 2 things I really hate in this world is hornets and dog fights. Makes me crawl.

Anyway, I'm getting better at doing battle with the hornets and winning (very important that last part). Continue a frontal attack w/hornet spray directly into the hole in the tree and within a few days you make it unihabitable. I found another nest in a dead oak yesterday but the hole was at ground level. It's difficult to get close enough and the spray doesn't work well with the can horizontal, spraying upwards, even if I were willing to move in that close (I'm not).

I'm heading out to the farm in a bit w/the 300 and some old ammo to blast another hole 12-16" above ground level. That's the plan at least. It'll allow me to soak down the nest well if I can penetrate the oak.

This may my last post. "Hey y'all, watch this....."

Oh yeah, before the debate begins; No, I don't believe that a 300 Win mag is too much gun for insects. Jeez, I can already see it coming.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    HA! When I read this initially, I thought you were going to actually try to shoot the hornets! Good luck!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've considered it believe me. When you have a nest near the end of summer there can be hundreds in a single tree. Hundreds. Spooky business that gets to the nerves. I finally had a day last year where I had to set the shotgun down before going nuts on them. A noisy, pointless effort but it would have felt good for a few minutes.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I've considered it believe me. When you have a nest near the end of summer there can be hundreds in a single tree. Hundreds. Spooky business that gets to the nerves. I finally had a day last year where I had to set the shotgun down before going nuts on them. A noisy, pointless effort but it would have felt good for a few minutes.
    Would have been fun to watch too!

I hate all types of bees/hornets/wasps too. When I was younger I was deathly allergic to them...literally. 1 sting and I needed to be in the ER quick. 2 or 3 at the same time and the chances I would have survived would be slim. I'm glad I grew out of that. I grew up in MI, so they were EVERYWHERE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I'm heading out to the farm in a bit w/the 300 and some old ammo to blast another hole 12-16" above ground level. That's the plan at least. It'll allow me to soak down the nest well if I can penetrate the oak.

This may my last post. "Hey y'all, watch this....."

Oh yeah, before the debate begins; No, I don't believe that a 300 Win mag is too much gun for insects. Jeez, I can already see it coming.
    Videos are required for the "Hey y'all, watch this...." incidents
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    HA! When I read this initially, I thought you were going to actually try to shoot the hornets! Good luck!
    I did the same thing,. I grew up in Mi too and use to hunt grasshoppers with my BB gun when I was a kid.. Killed I'm sure thousands, it was good practice and we had millions of them all over..

One thing or sure, the 300 will make them mad hitting there hive area.. You can stand back at a good distance with field glasses and watch them swarm,... . They will be like "Alright boys, let's get them.. Hey, where did they go,. They kicked our hive and left in a hurry".... LOL

QUOTE=svgheartland;1239761] This may my last post. "Hey y'all, watch this....."

You need to add, "hold my beer" to the above statement to say that in West Virginia.

Just a .300 Mag on hornets??? You need something a bit bigger I'd say.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    "This may my last post. "Hey y'all, watch this....."
    In Texas we say "Here old my beer" which is typically followed by some screams of pain!
    [One Nation Under God]

"Hey y'all, watch this....."
    Many bad things have happened with this opening statement

Just a suggestion, i found "BrakeClean" works exceptionally well against bee's & its quite inexpensive (especially at wal-mart) & even auto parts stores. I kill them all the time with it, hell you can shoot them right out of the air......Good Luck
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

And the ANTIS ASK"WHO WOULD EVER NEED A 50 BMG RIFLE"well I think we have a perfect answer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Man, those things are huge. Like a hummingbird with a stinger. My solution is simple. Find the nest (you already have), at about 9:30 PM they should all be inside, dump about 8 - 10 oz. of 87 octane on them. Don't light it, just let them breath the fumes.

I had success with this last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by hardlivin View Post
    Man, those things are huge. Like a hummingbird with a stinger. My solution is simple. Find the nest (you already have), at about 9:30 PM they should all be inside, dump about 8 - 10 oz. of 87 octane on them. Don't light it, just let them breath the fumes.

I had success with this last Saturday.
    That will probably work better than shooting a hole into the nest.
    I've held a small cup of gas over wasp nests before for a few minutes and they all end up dead. No need to light it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    And the ANTIS ASK"WHO WOULD EVER NEED A 50 BMG RIFLE"well I think we have a perfect answer
    As the tree huggers complain we're hurting the poor tree.,.......

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!....

Sure you guys would come up with a boring solution,fuming them to death will never make youtube,but blasting them with a big gun sure would,especially if they identify and attack the agressor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I did the same thing with a 22 from 50-60 yards out. I was sitting at the base of a tree lobbing those shells into the hive opening, and they were going wild. Then, a lone wasp tracked the source down, he called reinforcements, and I ended up with several bad stings before I could get back to the safety of the barn. Will NEVER try that again. Now, I wait untill dark and stick a railroad flare in the openings. Done deed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links