Vandalism & Game Cameras

This is a discussion on Vandalism & Game Cameras within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The nice thing about getting the video cam is that once you've found out the culprit, you can set up the camera to cover the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vandalism & Game Cameras

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    The nice thing about getting the video cam is that once you've found out the culprit, you can set up the camera to cover the front door, and when someone rings or knocks, you can see who's there before you go to the door.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Try this place, they might have something that'll work for you.

Security Cameras Direct
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Punji sticks require only set-up time... look for the kid that is limping...
    ... And you get automatic notification when the Police knock on your door!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    might be better off with a remote web-cam. They transmit to your PC so you would have the images.

I didn't look at the game cam you picked but most of them have a flash so the location would be given away and the vandals would just take it. But with a video cam, you would have the images. Later on down the road, you could install the camera to view your front door or overlook your driveway. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT
    Link here:
    Amazon.com: Linksys WVC54GCA Webcam 640x480 802.11G Wireless Internet Home Monitoring Camera: Electronics

I've been wanting one of these for years
    I'm thinking about the webcam option. I've been having problems with kids vandalizing my vehicle when it's not in the garage.

Claymores with trip wires work well,they also prevent repeat offenses,the flash would give it's position away tho,but they wouldn't have anything left to steal.But they are illegal and something in the law about boobie traps,including shotguns aimed at the door with a tripwire running to the trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've got a decent ptz web cam that I can control or look at from any computer on the internet. I can set it up to detect motion and it will email snapshots to an email address. It's pretty decent. The only thing I have caught, since installing it, is my ex-neighbors' pit bull crapping in my lawn. I think the other neighbors saw me putting it up and it acts as a deterrent to them.

The one I have is a D-Link 6620G.

Let us know if you catch anyone.

The IR game cameras ARE detectable, contrary to claims here and in ads. I run several. Basically, the broadcast flash may not be visible, but the LEDs that produce the IR light do glow red for 1-3 seconds. So if your vandals are looking in the direction of the camera, they will see it light up.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    The IR game cameras ARE detectable, contrary to claims here and in ads. I run several. Basically, the broadcast flash may not be visible, but the LEDs that produce the IR light do glow red for 1-3 seconds. So if your vandals are looking in the direction of the camera, they will see it light up.
    Good to know, thanks.

I have not purchased anything yet, still looking at options. Thanks alfack for the info.

Google Tripwire and Pepperspray. I saw an ad for a pretty cool setup a while back. I hope you nail them.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The deer in some of those pictures looked like they knew something was going on. I think I'd want to borrow a camera from someone before buying my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    The deer in some of those pictures looked like they knew something was going on. I think I'd want to borrow a camera from someone before buying my own.
    Sure, I have dozens of shots of game looking right at the camera. They spot the red light. I have also sat in a deer stand and watched the deer bolt when the light came on. I have also watched deer be completely unbothered by the light. I knew when the light came on because I was using night vision at the time (and I wasn't hunting deer).

Some cameras also make a couple of sounds when they toggle on. The sounds are not loud at all, but in a completely quite environment, they can be noticed several feet away.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links