Vandalism & Game Cameras

This is a discussion on Vandalism & Game Cameras within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been experiencing some minor vandalism and have been thinking about how to catch the vandal. No serious damage so far, but I'm not sure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vandalism & Game Cameras

Vandalism & Game Cameras

I've been experiencing some minor vandalism and have been thinking about how to catch the vandal. No serious damage so far, but I'm not sure if I should be more worried. I don't want to over-react because it's probably just some neighborhood kids, but I'd like to know.

Anyway, while looking at Midway's latest catalog I ran across the game cameras and thought it might work. Been eyeballing THIS one.

Does anyone have experience with game cameras? Is this a dumb idea? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Like the idea, and even though I'm a hunter, I have not used any of these. I say get one and see what you find.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    might be better off with a remote web-cam. They transmit to your PC so you would have the images.

I didn't look at the game cam you picked but most of them have a flash so the location would be given away and the vandals would just take it. But with a video cam, you would have the images. Later on down the road, you could install the camera to view your front door or overlook your driveway. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT
    Link here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WVC54G...p_ob_e_title_0

You can also turn on Security Mode, which tells the camera to send a message with a short video attached to up to three email addresses whenever it detects motion in its field of view. You can then log onto the live video stream if the situation warrants. The included Viewer & Recorder utility lets you record the audio/video stream to your local hard drive, "live" or on a predetermined schedule.
    I've been wanting one of these for years
    Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; July 29th, 2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: provide link to wireless camera
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Good point about the flash. In researching the cameras, some say the flash is "undetectable". This is one of the things I am curious about, kind of hard to believe.

The web-cam idea is great, but the location of the vandalism is outta reach of my network. That would be perfect if not for the connection issues.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IVron View Post
    Good point about the flash. In researching the cameras, some say the flash is "undetectable". This is one of the things I am curious about, kind of hard to believe.

The web-cam idea is great, but the location of the vandalism is outta reach of my network. That would be perfect if not for the connection issues.
    Just checking - you did see it was wireless right?

If you are still out of range on wireless, you could use a wireless G range expander or signal repeater. On that same Amazon website, you can do a search at the top for "wireless signal repeater". Stash an old PC in a locked Jobox with battery pack and just record the vandalism right to hardrive...
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The repeater just might work, good idea.

Thanks! Gonna check it out...

If your interested you can research the web and, if you're willing to pay the price, can buy cameras triggered by heat [video and digital single exposure] that are just components. Again the light needed to get a good image without a flash will be directly proportional to the amount you spend. These can be put into a sealed box if you like but usually a little hairspray on the connections will seal them. I believe we used to use Aquanet. You can take a tile spade and lift enough earth at about a fifteen degree angle [depending on distance from event] to place the sending unit in the cut and bury or place the receiving unit [again depending on what you want to spend] up to a mile "line of sight". The receiving unit can sit on your back porch if you want. Remember that this won't be the last time you use this. As soon as you figure out what you can do with a setup like this you'll be finding places to put it that you can't imagine now.

I've been experiencing some minor vandalism and have been thinking about how to catch the vandal. No serious damage so far, but I'm not sure if I should be more worried. I don't want to over-react because it's probably just some neighborhood kids, but I'd like to know.

Anyway, while looking at Midway's latest catalog I ran across the game cameras and thought it might work. Been eyeballing THIS one.

Does anyone have experience with game cameras? Is this a dumb idea? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Info from your link:
    They won’t alert game animals thanks to 24 night vision LEDs.
    Several of these newer cameras us IR flashes designed to not spook game. I don't have any personal experience with them to say if there's any visible light spectrum or not, but if they are designed to not spook game, I'd bet they would be undetectable.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

In case anyone is interested, HERE is a sight that reviews many cameras and includes sample pictures and videos. I might go this route and use it as a game camera after all.

I still think you might be able to see the flash, dunno...

Flash

I've thought about something along this line too. I'm thinking that in some situations a person might want to have a separate motion detector light & camera.
    The light would of course be seen & may turn the intruder away, but not before getting him on film. And if he chooses to break the light, the camera should go unseen if it's well hidden.

If you do this get one with an infrared flash. Else they will see the flash and just steal your camera.

Looks like I'll give the Bushnell Trophy Cam a try, with the security case. I like the picture examples and battery life. This is just what I'm looking for.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Punji sticks require only set-up time... look for the kid that is limping...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Some flash in the Infrared range, which humans can't see.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Punji sticks require only set-up time... look for the kid that is limping...
    Damn, I like you.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links