Mosin Nagant

Mosin Nagant

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; anyone own one , i just picked up 2 m44s and 780 rds about half in strippers , just want to know keep or sell ...

Thread: Mosin Nagant

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Mosin Nagant

anyone own one , i just picked up 2 m44s and 780 rds about half in strippers , just want to know keep or sell , i aint got a lot inn em lol

VIP Member

Mosin Nagant

I've got one I spent fifty bucks for. I'm currently redoing the stock (cut it down, checkering, etc). It shoots OK. Caliber it not hard to come by, especially at gunshows. I'm not so keen on the method by which it feeds into the chamber, though. One of the best things is to shoot it in the evening; puts out a loooong flame from the barrel.

Caliber is OK for hunting if you are into that.

As for the keep or sell question...I'd say; put some rounds through them, see if they function smoothly and are accurate, then decide if you like them.

There's my two cents worth.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I have an M44 - it's a fun gun for the Big Boom and Kick factors. I used to keep mine in my truck - I might put it back in there. Sometimes the bolt can be really tough to work - I've experienced that with several M44s. Nothing a hammer can't fix.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Ive got a 91/30 and 2 M44's.

Exellent shooters, all of them. They are kind of ugly but the tend to grow on ya.

They are Milsurps and they quit making them. Even though they are cheap now, 25 years from now they'll be worth lots more. As more and more people jump on the milsurp wagon and buy them up the value will ony go up.

I sold a perfect war trophy with "Mum" Jap 7.7 about 20 years ago to a friend of mine for 40 bucks and I only gave 25 for it. He recently sold it for 750 to a collector.

The supply WILL dry up. I've got a premium 6.5 Swede that you used to be able to buy all day long for 70 bucks. Ive seen guns on the internet auctions goe for 600+ that were in worse shape.

Trust me...

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    I also have a 91/30 and an M38 - cheap guns and fun to shoot, despite post-corrosive clean-up!

Being so cheap I doubt it's worth selling them - so little money tied up. If not used a lot, well - stuff em in the back of a closet and as HG says - one day supplies will diminish a lot and possibly - no probably they will appreciate, even if only a bit. Great old relics and so much historical value too IMO.

Mine don't see much action but - they haven't complained sitting in a corner - except for dust accumulation!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've got an M-44, it's a lot of fun and I only paid $45 for it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I gotta get one or two before the supply does dry up.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I purchased my first Mosin years ago and become hooked on them. I have a couple of Finn M39's (my favorite) a Finn M28 and 2 Russian M44's. If you hand load the Finn's shot real well.

I really doubt the mosin's will ever dry up or increase (much) in value - unless it's Finnish. I forget the exact number - but something along the lines of over 25 million produced?

Just about all 7.62x54R ammo is corrosive (even the stuff that says isn't) so clean appropriately.

The Mosins have a special place in my heart. I have one. It's fun to shoot. My dad was in the Marine Corp. in the Korean War. He picked one up off of the enemy and packed it around for three weeks cause he wanted to take it home for a souvenir. When he went to get on the Navy ship the MP said he could not take it aboard cause it had a hammer and sickle on it and the government did not want the American people to know that the Russians were supplying the Koreans with weapons. At this point he broke it over the railing of the ship and threw it overboard. If you look just in front of the bolt there is a hammer and sickle stamped there. My dad claims that when they would run out of ammo they would pick up Mosin ammo (7.62x54) shove it their M1' and fire it. Please do not try this at home!!
    When my wife asks, "How many guns do you have?" I say, "I have plenty, but I am a few short of enough."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    after an informal range session ( targets of oppertunity strung across a cow pasture from 25 to 500 yards ) i decided i will make a psudo scout out of at least one of thiese little jewls , since my gunsmith currently owes me money for a change . I really havent decided what to do with the other lol

Nope i dont the design really has to call to me for me to buy a right handed bolt

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a M44 and a Finn 39.

I want to add a 91/30 and a M38.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Glad to see so many Mosin shooters. I made a terrible error not too long ago, ... tried to do it myself by cutting an M44 bolt handle off opting to install the turned-down bolt handle from a kit I purchased off the web as I eventually wanted to install a 2X-4X power scope. (I'll pause while the laughing dies down) As I kept telling my wife that I knew what I was doing, I finally had to concede some defeat in that using hand tools just didn't get it. My question is, given that these guns seem kinda crude and they are military, ... would it be safe to replace the entire bolt from another Mosin M44 into this carbine that I own? Or do they have to be tolerated to the receiver? What would be the best and least expensive route to get my M44 with a turned down bolt? Advance thanks for all replies! Also: If you do this sort of work as a hobby, and I won't need a bank loan to get it done, let me know and I'll contact you by personal e-mail. Thanks again all.
    In the immortal words of Gunfighter Jack Wilson in SHANE, ...
    "Why don't we just get on with it and gun him?"

-Bad Lieutenant

Lead Moderator
    Yes...you can get another mosin bolt and it will work. Many of the Mosins have been aresenal rebuilt and have numbered bolts that differ from the numbered receiver. Some of the aresenal rebuilts have numbers etched on them to match the nuumbers of the gun.As with any gun, it'll always hold more collector intrest if all the numbers are matching, but its getting to the point where its getting harder to get all matching serial numbers.

You can get bolts cheap from several sources on the net if you look.
    As always its a good idea to check the heasdpace if you go with a different bolt.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links