Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen

This is a discussion on Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KTAR.com - Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen Stolen? Sand on the beach was stolen? I guess the green movment is working in ...

Thread: Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

KTAR.com - Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen

Stolen? Sand on the beach was stolen? I guess the green movment is working in Mexico. Becarefull cutting your lawn and pulling weeds. You might be stealing from the natural environment.

The article...

Mexico shuts Cancun beach, alleges sand was stolen (July 31st, 2009 @ 5:05am)

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Surprised tourists found their little piece of Cancun beach paradise ringed by crime-scene tape and gun-toting sailors on Thursday.

Environmental enforcement officers backed by Mexican navy personnel closed off hundreds of feet (dozens of meters) of powder-white coastline in front of a hotel accused of illegally accumulating sand on its beach.

Mexico spent $19 million to replace Cancun beaches washed away by Hurricane Wilma in 2005. But much of the sand pumped from the sea floor has since washed away, leading some property owners to build breakwaters in a bid to retain sand. The practice often merely shifts sand loss to beaches below the breakwaters.

"Today we made the decision to close this stretch of ill-gotten, illegally accumulated sand," said Patricio Patron, Mexico's attorney general for environmental protection. "This hotel was telling its tourists: 'Come here, I have sand ... the other hotels don't, because I stole it.'"

Patron said five people were detained in a raid for allegedly using pumps to move sand from the sea floor onto the beach in front of the Gran Caribe Real Hotel. The hotel is also suspected of illegally building a breakwater that impeded the natural flow of sand onto other hotels' beaches, he said.

An employee of the hotel's marketing office said nobody was available to comment on the allegations. Authorities said the hotel owner ignored previous orders to remove the breakwater.

A knot of angry tourists gathered around the closed beach.

Some were irked by the sight of police tape and "Closed" signs.

Maria Bachino, a travel agent from Rocha, Uruguay, said by telephone that she had booked a beachfront room in Cancun, only to find herself cut off from the clear, bathub-temperature waters that lure millions to Cancun each year.

"They promised us a beach," said Bachino. "This is very unpleasant, we feel bad. This is intimidating," she said of the armed navy personnel who participated in the raid.

Patron said he regretted any inconvenience for tourists, but said the government is planning projects to restore beaches throughout Cancun in an orderly, environmentally responsible way.

"I apologize to the tourists for this problem, but it is a question of enforcing the law," Patron said.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bush's fault!!!!!!!!
    Haliburton!!!!!
    USA needs stiffer gun laws!!!!!!!

Hey mang!!! I tole you deez Anglos will steal anyting not nailed down. We need to close de border, verdad amigo?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker View Post
    Bush's fault!!!!!!!!
    Haliburton!!!!!
    USA needs stiffer gun laws!!!!!!!
    [One Nation Under God]

Hopefully not an American. They might want our country to pay reparations for pilfering their sand and interfering with their tourist trade.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Surprised tourists found their little piece of Cancun beach paradise ringed by crime-scene tape and gun-toting sailors on Thursday.
    Good to see it's business as usual in Mexico.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I don't know about you but everytime I leave a beach I got sand hidden in places i can't reach til I shower,thank god It wasn't in Cancun,I can see me answering the old what you in here for with I stole some sand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mexico spent $19 million to replace Cancun beaches washed away by Hurricane Wilma in 2005. But much of the sand pumped from the sea floor has since washed away, leading some property owners to build breakwaters in a bid to retain sand.

*snip*

Patron said five people were detained in a raid for allegedly using pumps to move sand from the sea floor onto the beach in front of the Gran Caribe Real Hotel. The hotel is also suspected of illegally building a breakwater that impeded the natural flow of sand onto other hotels' beaches, he said.
    So wait a sec...the government spends a lot of money putting sand there by pumping it from the seafloor. Yet it is illegal for someone else to do the same when the government stops doing it?

Let me guess, the problem was that it was 'unfair' because everyone else didn't get sand too, for free.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Right. Paradoxes of the lowest-common-denominator approach to social control.

The goal in a publicly-funded hog trough is to "get yours" while the gettin' is good. So long as the leeches all get a taste from the "government" teat, life is good. The moment a monkey wrench was tossed into the arrangement, you could hear the squealing from a mile away.

In this case, the howling is by the governing looters who lost the opportunity to magnanimously fill the trough (from public funds), though they gained the opportunity to accuse the "criminals" for having done the same thing ... for free.

The looters' philosophy of laws and lawbreakers is eloquently stated in Atlas Shrugged, voiced by Dr. Ferris when attempting to show Hank Rearden the wisdom of voluntarily gifting his patented formulas to the looters:
    "Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against — then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

"Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be enforced nor objectively interpreted — and you create a nation of law-breakers — and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
    "
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 1st, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links