Why does she get to vote?

This is a discussion on Why does she get to vote? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching the video that qkshooter put up most unreal thing you have ever seen and it features a, what I would call, typical ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does she get to vote?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

I was watching the video that qkshooter put up most unreal thing you have ever seen and it features a, what I would call, typical American activist who cannot put any logical coherent ideas together.

Now I know it's all law abiding citizens' duty to vote, but at the same time why do we let people like this vote?

My 20 year old sister, my 22 year old girlfriend, and my 21 year old female roommate have no idea what was going on... ever. They'd rather spend their time watching shows like The Hills, Rock of Love, and The Real World etc etc. than sit down and think about politics and the future of this country.

I know these are all females that I gave examples of, and there are certainly some males out there that probably shouldn't vote either.

My point is, I think there should be legit civics classes and test to be taken and passed before one can vote. Seriously. I don't care if people's opinions differ from mine, in fact, I support that because that is what makes America awesome; however, I do expect people's opinions to be firmly based on reality, not reality T.V.

People have become so distracted by things that aren't important for whatever reason, that it is causing the proverbial boat to rock, and we aren't far from capsizing.

The last point is, this is why Obama won. Because people like the girl featured in QKshooters post saw Obama on TV, drank the kool-aide, and got to vote, which happens to be the majority of America I suppose.

Tell me what you think.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

BAAAAAAAA. The sheep have no idea,keeping their head in the sand or up their own . Nevermind

I'm having a hard time thinking that is real. I couldn't see her lips enough to read them, but it appeared to me to not match the words I heard.

The sad part is, I know people who would match the verbal part of that video to a tee, so I know they are out there, lurking and waiting to tell you how organic is better for you and trucks are bad.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    My point is, I think there should be legit civics classes and test to be taken and passed before one can vote. Seriously. I don't care if people's opinions differ from mine, in fact, I support that because that is what makes America awesome; however, I do expect people's opinions to be firmly based on reality, not reality T.V.
    I've had the same thought before, but then you have to think about it this way. Who decides what's on the test and who passes and fails? If a test is all that determines whether or not you are allowed a vote to change the stakes in your game of life, who is in control of the test? Is it the same folks you are or are not voting for?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I've had the same thought before, but then you have to think about it this way. Who decides what's on the test and who passes and fails? If a test is all that determines whether or not you are allowed a vote to change the stakes in your game of life, who is in control of the test? Is it the same folks you are or are not voting for?
    It should be a basic and unbiased civics test, like the kind you get in high school.

Who is the commander in chief?

What are the three branches to government?

Several options exist that assure we wouldn't need to depend on foreign oil... name two.

The advantages of using foreign oil are... name one.

Would probably never happen.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I agree some should not vote because they are to stupid. With that said I don't believe we need a test to get to exercise our rights.

We are the same group of people who argue about our 2A rights and now we want to place restrictions on other rights as well.

When we bargain all our rights away what then?

Who decides who is smart enough to vote?

Unfortunately we have stupid people who carry, vote, and enjoy all the same rights as everyone else. When we decide to restrict, we are creating our own class of social elite. Hopefully the educated out way the numbers of too uneducated to vote or we need to start with the education system to begin with. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

How do you think we got into the political situation we are in now?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I agree some should not vote because they are to stupid. With that said I don't believe we need a test to get to exercise our rights.

We are the same group of people who argue about our 2A rights and now we want to place restrictions on other rights as well.

Unfortunately we have stupid people who carry, vote, and enjoy all the same rights as everyone else. When we decide to restrict, we are creating our own class of social elite. Hopefully the educated out way the numbers of too uneducated to vote or we need to start with the education system to begin with. JMHO
    +1

I'm in the same boat with you, it's just a HUGE moral delima because we are at the point where there are way more uneducated than educated, and you're right the answer is education... funny

Investing in education seems to solve many of country's problems... I wonder if they'll ever catch on.

My 20 year old sister, my 22 year old girlfriend, and my 21 year old female roommate have no idea what was going on... ever. They'd rather spend their time watching shows like The Hills, Rock of Love, and The Real World etc etc. than sit down and think about politics and the future of this country.
    Yea; the country started going down hill after ratification of the 19th amendment.

Bla Bla Bla!!!... If I close my eyes and plug my ears,.. Everything is happening good.. Bla Bla Bla.... Obama will be and is a great president,. Bla Bla Bla (I cannot hear you) .. Bla Bla Bla.. There is no such thing as the NWO,.. The Federal Reserve isn't in control of the country,... I have a white picket fence and everything is perfect.. Bla Bla Bla....

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Yep, that's the problem with any 'test' system. Any restriction on who can vote will always give way too much power to the ones making the decision. And as we all know, power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

What I DO think should happen instead is that society should frown on voting as fashionable. Voting should be something that people only do after careful consideration...yet instead now we have rap artists in commercials telling people who know nothing to get out there and vote, who cares about the issues.

One thing that isn't affected by this as far as I can tell is primaries. Primaries are just as important as the general election, yet nobody seems to care about them. In a way I think this is a good thing; people who study and care about the issues are the ones voting in primaries, and this is where half of the battle is taking place anyhow. People just need to stop voting for the 'compromise candidate'!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Call it kool-aide sipping if you want, but I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries.

Delta made a good point earlier, education is what needs to be invested in.

She probably has a high school diploma and thus, has passed a basic civics test.

Get to vote?
    There are some serving in elected office who are not quite as bright as her.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 31st, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links