I hate Saturday mornings and drunks!

This is a discussion on I hate Saturday mornings and drunks! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I mean really early Sat. morning. I leave for work at 3AM and of all the days of the week I see at least 3 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I mean really early Sat. morning.

I leave for work at 3AM and of all the days of the week I see at least 3 drunks on Sat. morning. Most are going slow, out of the lane once in awhile. Not too bad for a drunk.

Then there are the ripping drunks. This morning I had this guy come up on me at least 90mph. at the last second i move quickly to the lane next to me because theses brain dead idiots follow your tail lights, right into them. He goes flying by, all over the road. Then I see 4 way flashers as I head down the road a mile or so, he is on the side, puking over the guard rail. OK, I hope you pass out you jerk. But NO! after a couple of minutes, here he comes again, and he was going even FASTER! This time I change two lanes and he still almost got me! I call OnStar emerg. and have them get the State Police.

Well, He went by me so fast I never got more than 2 numbers off his plate so all I could tell the cops was that it was a early, white, Ford Taurus station wagon. Big help huh? You could almost hear him say, sure, thanks guy......

So, I was thinking of getting a voice recorder, but I think I will get one of those mobile writing pads so it's always handy because I figure when I need the recorder, the damn batteries will be dead. So next time I can give them the reg. number and maybe they can have a cop car at the guys house when he pulls in the drivway.

Anyways, just wanted to rant.

DRUNKS SUCK!!
    Last edited by Kicker96fs; August 1st, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Exclamation Throw Away The Key

The states all have very inadequate penalties for DUI.
    Should be; First time:1 year real time (no probation)
    Second time: 3 years
    Third Time: 5 years
    This is an act which can kill and maim people, and even though I recognize that alcoholism is a disease, these people should still be punished.
    P.S. Scandinavia (whose social policies most members here would disagree with) has even stricter punishments.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

DM2
    I agree. I have an uncle who has done this all my life. From the time I got my license as a teenager, I was picking him up, taking him home so my 70+ year old grandma didn't have to. He had to get a pass from jail when she died to attend the funeral.

The worst part is, its always these idiots that walk away from the crash he/she causes that kills the minivan filled with the family of 6. I hope it never happens to you. Be safe.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    This is an act which can kill and maim people, and even though I recognize that alcoholism is a disease, these people should still be punished.
    P.S. Scandinavia (whose social policies most members here would disagree with) has even stricter punishments.
    so does this post.
    Should be; First time:1 year real time (no probation), with 6 months no licence.
    Second time: 3 years, with loss of licence for another 5 years.
    Third Time: 5, years with never able to have a licence.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

i agree with the penalties posed above. there must be stricter laws put in place for infractions with potential to harm so many other people. innocent, unassuming people..

Cops just arent getting it done if the guy flew by you and pulled over had a nauseous episode got back on the road and caught up with you again. You would think at 3 a.m. there would be a copper sitting somewhere waiting for exhibit A, or at least patrolling, of course I know not the sort of road you were traveling. I just know around here it's pretty conspicuous to be on the road at 3 a.m. if you are drunk they are going to get you...

Cops should sit right outside the bar parking lot and wait for someone to short-side the curb on their turn out of the establishment or just keep an eye on them until they make a mistake. Not so that many many saloon-goers get their lives ruined with a DUI but to keep the majority of people, who are out there doing the right thing, from having to risk contact with said boozers.

If i were a cop, or involved in any way, there would be a booze task force where there are cops lined all along the areas where bars are located.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post

Sorry, but that's ridiculous!

Now, if an accident and/or injury results, we have an entirely different set of circumstances, but simply for the act of dui, nope. Not in my book.

BTW.....I seldom drink, and never drive on the infrequent occassions that I do.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Sorry, but that's ridiculous!

Now, if an accident and/or injury results, we have an entirely different set of circumstances, but simply for the act of dui, nope. Not in my book.

BTW.....I seldom drink, and never drive on the infrequent occassions that I do.
    the fact that nothing DID happen is of no matter, the fact that they are inebriated behind the wheel, therefore not in total control, therefore a risk for every other, sober and drunk, person on the road and thus the potential exists for an accident involving injuries, I believe the posed punishments are just.

The ultimate goal of these punishments is to instill some morals in these people to deter the occurrence of it happening again, the current punishments in place are obviously not drastic enough to thwart repeat offenders...therefore: Ante Up! only my opinion

P.S. Thanks for not drinking and driving! (serious, no sarcasm) I have done my share of stupid things, including driving drunk and reckless but I no longer venture out in an auto if I've had anything to drink. Just better that way!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't forget that states keep lowering the blood alcohol limit definition of Driving Under the Influence (not Driving While Intoxicated, usually a more severe crime). I believe in most states having one alcoholic drink of any kind and getting in a vehicle before an hour is up will put you in the DUI category. That's absurd.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Punishments too harsh? No way.

Personally I would never even THINK of getting behind the wheel after having even a single drink. I know way too many people who do all the time, and it is easy enough to see tons of them if you simply go for a drive at 2am on saturday or sunday morning. These people are putting my life in serious and immediate danger. They need to be taken off the street so they don't kill me or someone I care about!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I totally agree. Drunk drivers have to go.
    To jail for a long time!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    the fact that nothing DID happen is of no matter, the fact that they are inebriated behind the wheel, therefore not in total control, therefore a risk for every other, sober and drunk, person on the road and thus the potential exists for an accident involving injuries, I believe the posed punishments are just. The ultimate goal of these punishments is to instill some morals in these people to deter the occurrence of it happening again, the current punishments in place are obviously not drastic enough to thwart repeat offenders...therefore: Ante Up! only my opinion. P.S. Thanks for not drinking and driving! (serious, no sarcasm) I have done my share of stupid things, including driving drunk and reckless but I no longer venture out in an auto if I've had anything to drink. Just better that way!
    I agree. There are news stories all the time of people driving after double digit DUI convictions. The current punishment is not an affective deterrent. It appears that jail is not such a bad place to visit. I would like to change that conception.
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Don't forget that states keep lowering the blood alcohol limit definition of Driving Under the Influence (not Driving While Intoxicated, usually a more severe crime). I believe in most states having one alcoholic drink of any kind and getting in a vehicle before an hour is up will put you in the DUI category. That's absurd.
    What is absurd is that after all this time and all these TV commercials and all the stories about the affect of a crash because of DUI there is at least one person that thinks it is ok to drive after one drink. The guideline to this is simple.
    If you drink, donít drive. The amount you drink only matters after you are pulled over or have something bad happen.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

In addition to mandatory jail time, their vehicle needs to be conficated.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    In addition to mandatory jail time, their vehicle needs to be conficated.
    I draw the line at that part. The vehicle may or may not belong to them, it could be the car their dad gave them right before he died, or whatever. I'd go with a fine instead, revocation of driver's license, and jail. That would be enough if it were actually enforced.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

! drink will not make you DUI unless you are drinking straight alcohol out of an 8 ounce cup,It uaually takes at least 3 drinks in a 1 hour period IIRC to put you at .08,The problem is people that don't think they are drunk and decide to drive,and the ones that just weave across the center line every now and then are the ones that cause headon collissions the most.After the first one it's no longer an accident and upon 2nd conviction mandatory 1 year jail time and license suspension for 2 years,any subsequent conviction means your habitual and 5 years in prison and driving privileges revoked for life.If you get caught driving revoked car is confiscated and you go back to prison for 5 more years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Saudi Arabia executes drinking drivers.

There are no repeat offenders!!

But seriously, we arrested a guy one night that blew a .34!! The worst part is, he didn't seem that impaired.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links