Antigun Doctors - Page 2

Antigun Doctors

This is a discussion on Antigun Doctors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of physical therapists was a big-time gunner....we would talk about weapons all of the time....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antigun Doctors

VIP Member
    One of physical therapists was a big-time gunner....we would talk about weapons all of the time.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

My son's pediatrician asked my wife and ?I if we had firearms in the house. "Absolutely" I told him.He didn't get too anti on me but did pull out some completely left uneducated facts about death rates and whatnot. His premise alluded to basically making sure that they were locked up and out of reach. So of course me being the wise-ass I can sometimes be, I told him that along with making sure my firearms were locked up, I would go one step further and make sure that I sold all the cars that we had and had the bathtubs taken out just to be safe. He gave me a rather odd look to which I replied "Do you know how many children die in the bathtub and in a car every year?!?!"

There was never anything else mentioned about my firearms again...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

My Doc, wants to take me skeet shooting(since I never have before) he had me in his office BSing and checking out my gun and he likes the idea that I bring all old gun magazines, NRA, ect, into clinic for others to check out(at least before I started sending to Iraq troops) guess I will just have to share with both.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

My current Primary MD is at an HMO. I believe the forms are "standard" there, and it does have a section asking about firearms in the home. I opt to leave that blank (not indicating Yes or No).
    My last Primary MD asked me that question. Do I keep firearms in the home? At that time, let's see, 6 years ago, I simply answered yes. He moved on to the medical line of questioning, so I did not view him as anti; just reading off the form that the HMO required.
    For my vision checkups, I tell the doc exactly what I think I may need for Bullseye League, plus long range, etc. He's not a shooter himself, but will work with you to achieve the desired results.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

My wife tells me that everytime she takes my son (18 months) in for a checkup, the pediatrician mentions that if there are guns in the house, make sure that the little one can't get at them. I didn't take that as anti-gun...I think she just wants to cover the bases, same as reminding parents about car seats and baby gates. I wasn't offended at all, in fact, if what she says causes a careless parent to be more diligent about keeping a loaded home defense gun out of a child's reach, then it's worth mentioning.

My personal doctor hasn't said anything about guns at all. He seems pretty cool though so if he mentions it I'll ask him what he thinks.

If asked, next time, I'll inquire if they would like training.
    I'm always looking for more students! :)
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I am an RN and work in surgery. Many of our surgeons are hunters. It's nothing to walk into one of our O.R. rooms and see a cabelas catalog or hunting magazine sticking out of the docs brief cases. A couple of them even have their CC permits.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    My sister is a RN at a local hospital, she used to hunt, even has a bigger dear head on her wall than I do I don't think she has a CCW though. Non of my Dr.s have asked anything about guns, even our sons pediatric Dr.

I don't feel it's any of their business, especially since they never seem to ask if my car is equipped with airbags, or antilock brakes, or even if I eat ten pounds of bacon and fried chicken every day. I think I would bring up the latter questions, if asked the former one.

But then I do have a tendency to be an educated mule.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    My mother in law is a Pediatrician and owns one of the most impressive firearm collections I have ever witnessed...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

No doctor has ever asked. When I was in the ER, two weeks ago, and they secured my pistol, it didn't phase any of them in the slightest. They just wanted it secure.

Based on the responses, here, it sounds like the AMA is kind of like the Association of Chiefs of Police - not necessarily representative of the rank and file.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    No doctor has ever asked. When I was in the ER, two weeks ago, and they secured my pistol, it didn't phase any of them in the slightest. They just wanted it secure.

Based on the responses, here, it sounds like the AMA is kind of like the Association of Chiefs of Police - not necessarily representative of the rank and file.

Ahhh that depends on where you live. Also remember that our little slice of the pie on this site is not at all representative of the rest of the country. Also remember that the list of antigun groups is huge and extremely well financed. THese include: AMA, the CDC the IACP and the ACLU AND the bottom feeding lawyers from ATLA are all on the antigun bandwagon....

Okay folks wrap your head in a couple layers of tinfoil and ask your self WHY exactly are all these disperate groups so well funded and so antigun? (Nearly) All the media outlets -- to include print and broadcast at all levels from local to network; all the liberal thinktank foundations (Rockefeller, Ford, Carnegie, Aspen); and how about the United Nations and it's host of non-governmental organizations? I mean the NRA recently became one, but only after they realized the threat posed by this global monster. I mean...what is the POINT? Please don't tell me that all these folks suffer from hoplophobia (fear of weapons) or that they're misguided liberals because some entire platforms for certain political groups have major gun control as part of their projected goals. Also these groups (like MoveOn.org) are remarkably well coordinated wouldn't you agree? Where are they getting their marching orders and directions? Can somebody answer that....?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I have not yet run into one - and if asked about whether I have guns etc - would reply with the ''it's none of your business''.

My son's foot Dr is the sorta guy I like - he's a member here actually (St Michael) - he is a carry fella and has the sensible approach.

The crap concerning ''interrogation'' by some Doc's about a patient's gun proclivities riles me. It truly is (IMHO) none of their business at all.
    Pro-Second Amendment foot Dr checking in, sir! And I've been pheasant hunting with several MDs from your county too.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Where are they getting their marching orders and directions? Can somebody answer that....?
    I can't answer it (maybe not enough tinfoil) - but I think the answer would be very scary. Perhaps more answer than a lot of people would want to know.....
    Now I'll put my cowboy hat back on, it's not lined in tinfoil, and give this some thought.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My eye doc actually mentioned that he makes specialty lenses for his shooting clients! Said when I started having problems to let him know. Nice guy! (I think)

As for the tinfoil hat subject, I recently ran into a card carrying ACLU member who is relatively high up in the org and apparently used to be a semi-famous folk singer. My wife was already having a political argument with another lady, so I figured politics was an OK topic for the evening (hehehe). So I asked this fellow why the ACLU doesn't ever support 2nd Amendment cases, and he claimed he was unaware of the organization's anti-gun stance!

ok so maybe this fits or not ,
    MY doctor before he retired , mattered not whether i had a broke leg , common cold ,liver shut down or crabs .

standard question , "still smoking?" and admonshment "need to quit them !"

i've since quit but since he did too i don't even get a cookie . never been asked about guns by one of them though , maybe my answer will be "yeah and they're still smoking!"

lol
    elance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links