Antigun Doctors

This is a discussion on Antigun Doctors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We've all heard how the American Medical Association and the Center for Disease Control have tried for years to lobby Congress and the states to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antigun Doctors

Exclamation Antigun Doctors

We've all heard how the American Medical Association and the Center for Disease Control have tried for years to lobby Congress and the states to pass draconian gun confiscation laws and gun bans.

But has anybody ever run into a real antigun doc? I have heard some HORROR stories from folks who have actually been refused medical care because they told the family doc they had guns in the house. I have also heard stories of nosy docs actually asking if there are guns in the house and strongly urging folks to get rid of them....

There are a LOT of antigun folks here in South Florida, but I have never run into one of the docs here. Dunno why. But I would love to do so someday.....right in the waiting room in front of his patients....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

As I understand, Maine has a law against refusal of treatment. Of course if you are refused its one heck of an uphill battle to take anyone to court these days for doing something wrong. Its easy to sue if you ate too may french fries, or spilled your coffee though!
    Live Free or Die

Here is some Irony (if you can call it that):

When my primary doc retired, he had another doc come in and take over the practice. When I finally went in for my annual, he asked me questions about my background (med. history). One of the questions that he asked was, "Do you own guns". I looked at him and said, "It's none of your business". He didn't push the issue.

Well, about 6 or so months ago, he committed suicide, yep, his method was the use of a firearm.

That has been the only time that I have been asked that question. If he would have pushed the issue and started to spew anti-gun dribble, I would have walked and reported him to the board of physicians (filed a complaint).

I haven't meet my "new" doctor who took over his practice. When I do he will most likely ask about my med. history again and if he turns out to be anti, I will walk and take my insurance money elsewhere (my insurance allows me to have any primary doc I want as well as doesn't make it mandatory to approve referrals).

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    But has anybody ever run into a real antigun doc?
    I went to a clinic in town a couple weeks ago for a physical. I was wearing a T-shirt that said, "Front Sight Firearms Training Institute". When the nurse walked in, she looked at my shirt and said, "You're not carrying a gun right now are you?" I said no, to which she replied, "Thank goodness, we wouldn't want that thing going off and killing everyone!"
    Then, when the doc asked me to lift my shirt for the exam he saw my Hideaway knife in the necklace sheath. He asked what it was and I told him it was a knife. He said, "A weapon??" (with a look of shock). I said, "No....a tool".
    I don't think either of them were anti-gun, so much as gun and self-defense ignorant.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Assistant Administrator
    I have not yet run into one - and if asked about whether I have guns etc - would reply with the ''it's none of your business''.

My son's foot Dr is the sorta guy I like - he's a member here actually (St Michael) - he is a carry fella and has the sensible approach.

The crap concerning ''interrogation'' by some Doc's about a patient's gun proclivities riles me. It truly is (IMHO) none of their business at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Let me see if I have this straight, you can be in this country illegally and get medical help courtesy of our tax dollars, but if you are a legal gun owner they may refuse you? I wear an NRA hat just to tweak the liberals and bring on a discussion. Most folks comment by saying "nice hat" or something to that effect. I had one doctor ask me if I was a member upon seeing my hat. I said yes, expecting to hear some crap in reply. He said nothing about it. Don't know why he asked.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Wink Tinfoil Hat Alert

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I wear an NRA hat just to tweak the liberals and bring on a discussion. I had one doctor ask me if I was a member upon seeing my hat. I said yes, expecting to hear some crap in reply. He said nothing about it. Don't know why he asked.
    He probably just entered all your medical date PLUS the answer to that question into the NSA/FBI/IRS/CIA/ & your local police databases......
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My Dad and his buddies are cardiologists, and for the most part pro-gun veterans. There are a lot of anti-gun bunny huggers in the medical profession, however. I find it somewhat ironic that many of the people treating the aftermath of violence on a daily basis are some of the biggest sheep out there.

At the end of the day, it is none of your health care providers business what your stance is on the RKBA, or abortion, or who you voted for.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    I said no, to which she replied, [I]"Thank goodness, we wouldn't want that thing going off and killing everyone
    Jeez, what would she do if a cop came in with an apprehended suspect who'd been injured during the arrest?

VIP Member
    When my doc in Northern VA asked me about guns in the home I told her no. She gave me a pamphlet detailing all the dangers of having guns in the home. I found a new doc. So yes there are true believers out there.

On the flip side one of the more pro-gun guys I knew in Northern VA was a cardiologist and an NRA Training Counselor. Go figure.

Here in Missouri I was only asked if I "felt safe at home". I replied, "Yep".

-Scott-

Family Med are the Kool-Aid slurpers- pro-abortion, anti-gun, pro-illegal immigrant, big believers in 12 step whatever. A generality, but "generally" true. It would seem specialization brings awareness that not everyone will be in ecstasy in a big group hug- someone will bring a shiv to take someone else's Happy Tonic. I've worked with more shooting docs than shooting nurses.

Nope my doc as a WWII 1911 and just bought a sig and glock my doc is pretty fly

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    although I am not a MD. I have heard of the AMA trying to help anti gun legislation.
    I can not imagine asking patients those questions in my office. they are irrelevant to treatment and a plain violation of privacy IMO.
    If I was asked those questions as a patient I would walk and report the physician to the state board.
    Some DOC's feel there license covers more that what it does, and they feel empowered to ask all kinds of things.
    I think the medical profession in general has a very diverse population, so by no means am I trying to make blanket statements.
    I also know many many pro gun doc's. doc's are like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. if you took your car to a bad mechanic you wouldn't think twice or switching....people don't seem to do the same with medical professionals...and they should
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I long ago decided that if anyone asks me whether I own or carry a gun, I will turn the question on them. You first doc! Or else ask "Why, are you planning on mugging me ?" When they say "no" then I will tell them it is none of their business, and demand to know why they asked. If they don't have a very good answer, I am out of there.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My oral surgeon asks me about guns all the time!

He hails from PA, grew up with guns and hunting and is a member of another local gun club.

Hell, he's dragged one of his nurses in to meet and talk with me, as her Son is getting into shooting and she said she may decide to take a safety course with him. Similarly he's introduced me to his partner who is also a hunter/shooter, etc.

I actually love going there and talking with him!!

He'd NEVER use that intrusive AMA form that asks about guns in the house.

My Internist does use the AMA form, we never answer those questions and he never raises the issue. I'd jam it down his throat if he did. I'm pretty sure he knows that I have guns as he probably had seen me on duty when I worked for the PD over past years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links