Primeval

Primeval

This is a discussion on Primeval within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone else out there ever watch it.... OK for all you not SCIFI fans out there it is a BBC show where there are holes ...

Thread: Primeval

Red face Primeval

Anyone else out there ever watch it.... OK for all you not SCIFI fans out there it is a BBC show where there are holes that form in our time linking to the past and future. Real bad things come though and they go exploring.

Now my pet peeve, I know this must be a British thing but in almost every episode you see some real bad decisions, AKA they go into extremely dangerous places arming only one guy with a 12 GA and no spare ammo, and all else get to be protected by the guy with a gun!!! Season finale they actually gave one other a concussion grenade, yeah only one!

Come on here give me a team .50 BMG, n 12 rounds, SAW .308, N 200 rounds, .223 and 500 rounds each, plus side arms .45 spare mags, and to heck with the little popers give me some real explosives, with a team of 5 all armed to the gills. Then throw in the Scientist, and give them all gus too.....

No wonder whey they keep killing of charachaters...... I know if it irritates me so much why do I watch it.... BC good or bad it is SCIFI......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

deep breaths buddy, its just TV!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Of course they are lightly armed and go into obviously stupid situations...it sounds like that is integral to the plot.

Would you watch a show where people sit around safely in their living room all day doing nothing?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Anyone else out there ever watch it.... OK for all you not SCIFI fans out there it is a BBC show where there are holes that form in our time linking to the past and future. Real bad things come though and they go exploring.

Now my pet peeve, I know this must be a British thing but in almost every episode you see some real bad decisions, AKA they go into extremely dangerous places arming only one guy with a 12 GA and no spare ammo, and all else get to be protected by the guy with a gun!!! Season finale they actually gave one other a concussion grenade, yeah only one!

SCIFI......
    Yes it's a Brit thing/Hollywood
    How many times do you see an armed guy rack an auto pistol/12g Pump, semi auto or machine gun etc when any sane person would be at condition red????
    It comes in the same section Ie "The we don't know anything about firearms and don't want to ask"
    FYI its not the BBC (or it was not BBC when shown here, shown on ITV) that's if that isn't too anal

Tint Bob UK

PS Cannot believe they sold that rubbish to the yanks

dude, its a tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    Yes it's a Brit thing/Hollywood
    How many times do you see an armed guy rack an auto pistol/12g Pump, semi auto or machine gun etc when any sane person would be at condition red????
    It comes in the same section Ie "The we don't know anything about firearms and don't want to ask"
    FYI its not the BBC (or it was not BBC when shown here, shown on ITV) that's if that isn't too anal

Tint Bob UK

PS Cannot believe they sold that rubbish to the yanks
    I love to see someone run a 1911 empty, the slide not catch and them pull the trigger three times extra and each time it goes click.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I love to see someone run a 1911 empty, the slide not catch and them pull the trigger three times extra and each time it goes click.
    Over here it is on BBC America Oh yeah one episode the BG held a gal hostage with the slide on their Semi locked back!!!

I know it is TV but damn they are so stupid, almost as bad as the old 60's era Western I watched yesterday where Charles Bronson got 9 rounds out of his Colt peacemaker (no reload) and still had ammo left over in the gun.....

I think the best one was where the fort defenders (50's era) were getting 6-7 rounds out of their SS muskets before reloading.....

But that was back in the old days when people that did these shows did not strive for realism and Primeval defiantly is not striving for anything close to real in it's scripting.... But then it is SCIFI, so who needs real.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I'm not into Primeval, but I do watch some BBC America, particularly Torchwood and Dr Who, the latter being my favorite program. This year's Torchwood got me thinking about the difference between Great Britain and the US. In their 5 episode miniseries (which was the entire 2009 season), the government rounds up children, in order to give 10% of the children to the aliens to keep them from wiping out the entire population. AT first, they tried to disguise it, but people became aware, and were trying to keep the police from taking their kids. They were yelling, and physically attacking the police, but were unable to stop the cops from taking the kids. I couldn't help but think that if that were done in this country, the handgun and rifle fire would, if not stop, certainly slow down the process. Where the British would, in that situation be unable to do anything but attack with fists, and maybe clubs, here would be MUCH different!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Heh. Can we pick the 10% the aliens take with them?

Strange, but the entertainment industry is having trouble, even though escapism (movies) should be picking up as people have more to not think about. Maybe people are tired of the political/philosophical slant.

If a time rift or portal of the sort I think you mean appeared in most of the US, the people who reacted would have enough guns and ammo to open a shop, and there'd be spares people brought along just in case. ("Dreen War" anyone? The reaction of the "Redneck Militia" and the armament they carried when the Dreen first invaded was no exaggeration, IMO. IIRC the name of the book was "Through the Looking Glass".)

I assume this time portal opened in England? The entertainment industry does not want to encourage gun ownership, so the people involved are nearly unarmed. Political indoctrination.

Dreen War? I can't find anything on the search engines, Google or Bing. I am assuming it is a tv show?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Yeah I have never heard of that (show) event either, please elaborate....

N Yes I watch Dr Who and in that very same episode of Torchwood.

I was thinking the very same thing not in America, in the show they suggested sending the bottom 10% but did not have the time! That and let me beam up with the kids and I bet I get them all back... They just expected the world to capitulate with out a fight, also I was thinking just where is the doctor, he is always in the middle of it and this show was an offshoot of the Who series...

Biggest error was having US generals as top UN brass and having their hands in the mess... I wonder if they were trying to stir up some anti US sentiment...

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I'm not into Primeval, but I do watch some BBC America, particularly Torchwood and Dr Who, the latter being my favorite program. This year's Torchwood got me thinking about the difference between Great Britain and the US. In their 5 episode miniseries (which was the entire 2009 season), the government rounds up children, in order to give 10% of the children to the aliens to keep them from wiping out the entire population. AT first, they tried to disguise it, but people became aware, and were trying to keep the police from taking their kids. They were yelling, and physically attacking the police, but were unable to stop the cops from taking the kids. I couldn't help but think that if that were done in this country, the handgun and rifle fire would, if not stop, certainly slow down the process. Where the British would, in that situation be unable to do anything but attack with fists, and maybe clubs, here would be MUCH different!
    Wasn't that rubbish!!!
    If that happened, don't you think a couple of guys would whack a soldier, take his firearms, whack some more soldiers etc etc etc
    I think the producers didn't want to put ideas into us poor subjects heads

Tint Bob (UK)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Dreen War? I can't find anything on the search engines, Google or Bing. I am assuming it is a tv show?
    It's a book by John Ringo, published by Baen Books. The first five chapters can be read for free at:

Into the Looking Glass Current Chapter Link Page

Ringo is mainly a military science fiction author, very conservative and rather blunt about some of his opinions. Another of his books, "The Last Centurion", is rather unpleasantly plausible, and very political.

There are samples of over a hundred other books at that site, most good, some not so that never made it.

Sponsored Links