Urban Miner - Page 2

Urban Miner

This is a discussion on Urban Miner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I too am humbled by your action. I agree with making him aware you are prepared to defend yourself. Given what you've told us I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urban Miner

I too am humbled by your action. I agree with making him aware you are prepared to defend yourself. Given what you've told us I cannot help but believe that he will never be a problem to you. The only problem I see is if he starts to tell his friends about you. At that point you've done two things. You've shown that you will help the helpless and that you will not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Good luck with this!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    I too am humbled by your action. I agree with making him aware you are prepared to defend yourself. Given what you've told us I cannot help but believe that he will never be a problem to you. The only problem I see is if he starts to tell his friends about you. At that point you've done two things. You've shown that you will help the helpless and that you will not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Good luck with this!
    Thank You.

You understand what my intent was and is completely.

Thanks all of you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Nothing wrong with helping someone who needs and wants help, not just giving them a handout.

While there are many thing you don't know about him, the fact that he told you that you overpaid him and he felt bad about it, shows you the man has integrity. Your actions toward him have probably done more for his self esteem than all the do good organizations, that have handed him things, put together.

As far as letting him know your armed, I would have kept that to myself.
    Telling the OP that he overpaid is a cheap way to buy perceived integrity. If he was in fact overpaid, why did he not mention it at the time? Don't let him become friendly with your guard dog by feeding him his favorite food. He is a stranger and everything you can see about him should tell you that this man is someone to keep a very close eye on. He appears homeless. He prefers alcohol over water after a workout. He has no friends or family that trust him enough to take him in. You have to ask yourself... How does a man with integrity find himself in this position?

Bad things can happen to good people, but my point is that this guy is an unknown quantity. Don't rate him as a man with integrity just because he has found a way to pull on your heart strings with that whole 'you overpaid me, mister' story. Stories are a dime a dozen from homeless people. Let him prove his character by cleaning himself up, with the help you have given him. He needs to use his money on food, clothes, a place to live -- not booze!

It sounds like you're trying to give him a foundation to build on. Clothes, a bit of legitimate work, and someone that actually talks to him instead of shunning him. He will need to look sharp to find a job in this economy. Why don't you find out what his skills are? Maybe you can formulate a written game plan with him and help him through the steps. Don't let him throw his life away, trading cans for booze.

It's nice to hear that you are in a position to help someone. Keep us posted if you and Larry make any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Open opinion, am I doing right by putting this homeless fellow to work?
    Well, it seems to be working out. Starting with folks you don't know, you honestly don't know what you're getting into, either of you. It can go sideways, sure. So far it hasn't. So long as you take it in increments and only relax security once you've gotten to know each other better, it'll probably be okay.

Did I do right by explaining that I carry ...?
    If you openly carry, then he'd have seen it at some point anyway.

If you carry concealed, you now divulged what you normally keep private.

Either way, you laid the security precautions on the table. That can be good and bad, depending on the intentions of the other. I'd suggest one thing, though: don't divulge any additional details about your security elements. Nobody has any need to know that, least of all someone you don't know well.

Did I do right by explaining that ... he is only welcome on my property when I am home and while he is working for me?
    Absolutely. Them's the parameters of his temporary employment. Better that he understand them clearly, than to make assumptions that could place you (and him) in some jeopardy.

All in all, I don't know that I would have done the same thing. I'm all for someone being hired out of a temporary employment agency. Every town I've lived in has that sort of thing. They vet the people the best they can, know where to contact them, keep track of their work histories, and so on. At least that's something. I probably would not have hired someone on the spot, like that, whom I did not know. But then, sometimes you've got to go with your gut.

Suggestions. Just be aware of your security and why it's in place. Don't let your dog get friendly with strangers. Your dog's there for a reason. Don't divulge your patterns of exiting/entering the house, or your business. Don't indicate whether you have an alarm system, or whether you have other elements in place. For folks you don't know very well, they have no need to know. Perhaps consider advising your neighbors to keep a watch, given that a new and relatively unknown person is going to be hanging around now and then doing odd jobs (while you're there, sure). It's appropriate that they understand what's going down, in that sense, 'cause in a city with folks nearby they can help you keep tabs on things. Perhaps put him in touch with your town's temporary employment office, as they've got resources that can help him at least get further work and/or other opportunities if he's willing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Telling the OP that he overpaid is a cheap way to buy perceived integrity. If he was in fact overpaid, why did he not mention it at the time? Don't let him become friendly with your guard dog by feeding him his favorite food. He is a stranger and everything you can see about him should tell you that this man is someone to keep a very close eye on. He appears homeless. He prefers alcohol over water after a workout. He has no friends or family that trust him enough to take him in. You have to ask yourself... How does a man with integrity find himself in this position?

Bad things can happen to good people, but my point is that this guy is an unknown quantity. Don't rate him as a man with integrity just because he has found a way to pull on your heart strings with that whole 'you overpaid me, mister' story. Stories are a dime a dozen from homeless people. Let him prove his character by cleaning himself up, with the help you have given him. He needs to use his money on food, clothes, a place to live -- not booze!

It sounds like you're trying to give him a foundation to build on. Clothes, a bit of legitimate work, and someone that actually talks to him instead of shunning him. He will need to look sharp to find a job in this economy. Why don't you find out what his skills are? Maybe you can formulate a written game plan with him and help him through the steps. Don't let him throw his life away, trading cans for booze.

It's nice to hear that you are in a position to help someone. Keep us posted if you and Larry make any progress.
    I'm not a sucker. I will try not to be duped. I know I need to be careful.

Thanks for your honest opinion.

It is not Larry I worry about so much but as like someone else said, he could tell his friends I am an easy target.

Just last week someone stoled 2 A/C condensing units from my neighbors back yard. I guess they wanted the copper.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

It sounds like he may be ok, but DO NOT introduce the dog to him. The dogs have better instincts than we do most of the time. I would rather that dog be suspicious to start with rather than letting them get friendly.

I'd question the overpayment statement. Why did he wait until the next day...?

The beer thing that others mentioned is a non issue. Beer in a survival situation(which effectively this homeless fellow is in) is probably better than plain jane water. Beer is mostly water, but is rife with nutrients(barley, wheat, corn, rice, etc...) and sugars...in short, an excellent survival drink. A minuscule amount of alcohol shouldn't hurt.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have an IPSC target sitting on my back porch with eight .45 caliber rounds in the torso A square (white side out for effect) that you can't miss if you come to the back door. I'm impressed by it and I put it there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It sounds like he may be ok, but DO NOT introduce the dog to him. The dogs have better instincts than we do most of the time. I would rather that dog be suspicious to start with rather than letting them get friendly.

I'd question the overpayment statement. Why did he wait until the next day...?

The beer thing that others mentioned is a non issue. Beer in a survival situation(which effectively this homeless fellow is in) is probably better than plain jane water. Beer is mostly water, but is rife with nutrients(barley, wheat, corn, rice, etc...) and sugars...in short, an excellent survival drink. A minuscule amount of alcohol shouldn't hurt.
    I did not.

If you know anything about Alaskan Malamutes they are lovable, demand attention, are very large and intimidating to strangers and can bite through your arm with a huge bite force. At the same time, they are very protective of their territory. He is a family member and knows how to protect.

Beer is a source of calories although a poor source of nutrition. I asked him why he wanted a beer so early in the morning. He said it was just habit.

He actually has no sense of time. He kept asking me what time it was because he needed to get hes cans to the recyclers.

I was thinking about giving him an old watch but am not sure if he can tell time or read.

We will see what develops as the summer goes on.

Thanks,

SIG
    - Zen Saying

DM2
    Mr. Sig, Bravo to you.

You do what I wish I had the courage to do. Since I am a single female and live alone, I'm extra cautious. I do not believe in giving money to people standing on the corner begging and I do not trust people enough to let them into my personal world. I don't open my door for anyone and if you come near my home, my GS dog is there to meet and greet and he has zero tolerance for anyone that is not me. If he can see you, you're too close for him.

As for revealing your armed status, I think its a choice you made. Personally, as a female, I don't think I would have. I have experienced enough situations where people (usually men), treat me as if I don't know (pick the subject). I love the look of surprise on faces when they see I can have an intelligent conversation especially in gun stores because I've done my homework. So, I think I would leave my armed status (once I purchase my first firearm) as the element of surprise.

As for the dog....ditto the other comments. Don't let him get friendly.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I'm happy to see that there are good people left out there .
    You are doing a wonderful thing for your fellow man and have
    made me ashamed that I do not do more.
    That being said , in my experiance no good deed goes unpunished .
    Please be careful and God bless .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links