Urban Miner

Urban Miner

This is a discussion on Urban Miner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I live in the city. I take my trash out to the dumpster in the alley. We can pay to recycle but there are what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Miner

VIP Member

Urban Miner

I live in the city. I take my trash out to the dumpster in the alley. We can pay to recycle but there are what I refer to as urban miners that mine the dumpsters for cans and any other objects they find useful.

Most who do this are homeless, but not all. Some do it to make a few bucks by taking the aluminum cans to a recyclers themselves.

The cops advise you do not talk to them. Generally they are harmless.

I go out at about 7:30 or 8 am to take out the trash.

Well, there was Larry with his shopping cart. I said to him, "would you like to make some money? I need my lawn mowed". He said yes and was eager to do it. I had to help him the first time. When he was done, I got him a wet towel to put behind his neck. I offered him some water. He said Mr. Sig, can I have a beer. It was 8:30 in the morning. I gave him one. I showed him that I was wearing a gun and told him not to come on my properly without being invited. Then I paid him.

He came and mowed again today. Again, I showed him that I was carrying.

Today, he said Mr. Sig I need to tell you something. I said what is it Larry? He said, "well Mr. Sig, the first time you had me mow, you over paid me and I feel guilty about it." I told him not to worry about it since it was my mistake. I said maybe you can do some extra trimming next time. Two bills were probably stuck together.

This was hapening while the cable guy was inside the house trying to fix my phones.

The dog got out and I thought oh no he is going to get eaten alive. I collered him. As I was holding the dog, Larry asked, what kind of a dog is that? I said he is a wolf. Actually he is a 140 lb. Alasken Malamute. Larry said he must to like to eat, what does he eat? I said mostly people he doesn't like.

Open opinion, am I doing right by putting this homeless fellow to work? Did I do right by explaining that I carry and he is only welcome on my property when I am home and while he is working for me?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I got 2 things,I think it's great your allowing somebody the opportunity to make an honest dollar fer honest work,the only downside I see is he doesn't need to know you carry,If he wanted to hurt you he now knows your armed and would react accordingly.The other deal is that there have been people killed by the same people they thought they were helping
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I think you looked a man in the eye, made a judgment call, and decided to help your fellow man. You didn't give him a hand out, you gave him honest money for honest labor... alcoholism aside, everybody needs to have value. I'd be watchful, but you might have helped a man put some order back in his life...

Good job...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I think you're probably his hero now.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I think you looked a man in the eye, made a judgment call, and decided to help your fellow man. You didn't give him a hand out, you gave him honest money for honest labor... alcoholism aside, everybody needs to have value. I'd be watchful, but you might have helped a man put some order back in his life...

Good job...
    Thank you.

Yes I did.

Something told me to do this. He is actually a victim of Katrina relocated by the church. He is 60 years old so I watch him while he is mowing to make sure he is not over working himself. He seems to be a good man. I just wanted to drive the point home that I will let him mow every week but it is business. The fear of hiring strangers is that you don't know if you can trust them.

I think he is trust worthy. I will take that risk.

My wife said, from now on, lets separate our cans and leave them for Larry so he does not need to pick through the trash. I agreed.
    I'm also going to try to find him some new clothes.

Times are difficult for all of us but....
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Who is more effective in helping this individual put some semblance of order back in his life...? A government program that will make him surrender his dignity, or a guy like Sig, who gives a (probably) basically honest man on hard times and struggling with addiction a chance to earn some honest money, rather than panhandling and hoping for a good aluminum load this week?

I applaud you, Sig...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with helping someone who needs and wants help, not just giving them a handout.

While there are many thing you don't know about him, the fact that he told you that you overpaid him and he felt bad about it, shows you the man has integrity. Your actions toward him have probably done more for his self esteem than all the do good organizations, that have handed him things, put together.

As far as letting him know your armed, I would have kept that to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post

Good job...
    I agree x10.

Good job, Sig.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I agree, too. You're giving him a hand up, and an opportunity for him to help himself, not a handout. One seems to me to be motivating and build pride, the other makes people lazy and dependent. I say good job! You handled it well, and he doesn't appear to have reacted to your gun or your dog as if he had intended to do you harm. I wouldn't get complacent, but it doesn't sound like you will. I say BRAVO!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I think you are doing a wonderful thing, and truly helping the man.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Nothing wrong with helping someone who needs and wants help, not just giving them a handout.

While there are many thing you don't know about him, the fact that he told you that you overpaid him and he felt bad about it, shows you the man has integrity. Your actions toward him have probably done more for his self esteem than all the do good organizations, that have handed him things, put together.

As far as letting him know your armed, I would have kept that to myself.
    i agree completely

Sig

I'm humbled............Good to hear of people helping others.
    Going to make an effort to help the down and outs..... Could so easily be one of us.

Tint Bob (UK)

We tend to make ourselves aware of the bad things in life. It's good to know we are capable of retaining a bit of humanity.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You are a fine man Mr.Sig. A FINE MAN!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You are the one who has seen him and met him and ultimately provided work for him,This could be what he needs to get some self esteem back in his life and make some positive changes,I'm sure over time with some encouragement and a little help he can change his life around
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links