Remembering a different Cronkite

This is a discussion on Remembering a different Cronkite within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SatCong I agree with you, I been too emotional in this.For me it's the way the rules were for us, like the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remembering a different Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I agree with you, I been too emotional in this.For me it's the way the rules were for us, like the bombing halts, fire & free fire zones that upset me.CEW58 thankyou for your service.
    And thank you for your service and sacrifice.

When I joined in early 1977 many of our NCOs were Vietnam Vets. I remember those guys well. They taught us "newbies" things not found in any manual. Our 1SG was a Verteran of both Korea and Vietnam. "Top" McDanald was no man to trifle with, but I have great memories of him. He took care of his troops and knew more about leadership than I could hope to learn in two lifetimes. He was tough as nails, but when he retired in 1978 with 30 years of service to his country he had tears in his eyes because he was leaving "his" troops. I have to admit I was misty-eyed too.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

I wasn't born until 1974. From in depth analysis, seems he was the original Spin-Master!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    And thank you for your service and sacrifice.

When I joined in early 1977 many of our NCOs were Vietnam Vets. I remember those guys well. They taught us "newbies" things not found in any manual. Our 1SG was a Verteran of both Korea and Vietnam. "Top" McDanald was no man to trifle with, but I have great memories of him. He took care of his troops and knew more about leadership than I could hope to learn in two lifetimes. He was tough as nails, but when he retired in 1978 with 30 years of service to his country he had tears in his eyes because he was leaving "his" troops. I have to admit I was misty-eyed too.
    Thanks, it sounds like you had a good man to learn from and you were smart enough to know it.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Thanks, it sounds like you had a good man to learn from and you were smart enough to know it.
    In 1982 I found myself back at Ft Carson. By then I was a SSG and happened to see an old familiar face at the PX. Top McDanald put his hand on my shoulder, smiled and said, "I always knew you'd make it."

We had a lot of great NCOs in my first unit, but he was the best.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links