Cutting hours to save the dead weight

This is a discussion on Cutting hours to save the dead weight within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to start by saying that I truly hope this does not come off as me complaining about my situation. I am grateful that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to start by saying that I truly hope this does not come off as me complaining about my situation. I am grateful that I have a job and that I am in a relatively stable financial state that is almost entirely debt free. I appreciate the hardships of the many members of this forum who are in dire straits due to the poor economy and are out of work themselves... but I'd like to get this off my chest.

Just as some basic background, I work as a service and repair technician in a retail store for a major US cellular carrier. I learned today that my hours where I work are likely to be cut back. The fact that my hours are being cut back isn't what makes me upset, it's why they are being cut back.

I work in a store of about 20 employees. We learned that we need to shed a body because our business does not support our staffing. Unfortunate, but the nature of business I suppose. Instead of cutting the one person that is required, my manager at this point is going to cut hours back (to around 36 per week for full timers) instead.

Now, I would have absolutely no problem with this if this was purely a product of the times. If everyone in my store came in every day and gave a 100% genuine effort to do the very best they can, I would have no problem sacrificing some of my hours to save their job. However, we have a minimum of three employees that punch in, go through the motions, and punch out with no effort whatsoever. I will help someone who tries and gives an honest effort... but I'm less inclined to carry dead weight for someone who could clearly care less. Their lack of effort drags us down... not making sales numbers because of a lack of inspiration. The sales numbers don't effect me directly at all... but their lack of performance on customer satisfaction surveys directly effects my commission paycheck (the commission portion of my pay is entirely based on customer satisfaction with the entire store's personnel, not just my own).

What are your thoughts on this? I like to think of myself as a good person willing to help others... but am I wrong to be upset that I will be risking my financial stability to carry dead weight?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member

You are not wrong but..

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? I like to think of myself as a good person willing to help others... but am I wrong to be upset that I will be risking my financial stability to carry dead weight?
    You are not wrong, but you might not have the full picture. It is possible that your managers value the 3 people you consider dead weight for reasons you are not aware of.

There may be other "stuff in the air" related to the reduced work week.

At some point the management gets to drop some benefits, reduce vacation and perks. The management may be factoring those things into the equation and may have reached a decision that has more to do with their bottom line than with fundamental fairness--which is
    their right, given our present labor laws.

I know folks who are without work. In one case it is a man who completed 25 years of military service, and ten years of employment with a company that was quite solid until this recession/depression. To top it off the value of his 401 plummeted, and now both his livelihood and future (nearby) retirement are in deep trouble, as is his ability to make the few remaining mortgage payments left to actually own his home. I don't see how he can possibly recover if the lay off lasts past this August, and it probably will.

We are in rough times and you all bearing the brunt of it are in my thoughts and prayers.

jbs
    Your solution is simple. Start looking for another place to work. Don't quit till you find a place. If the company is too stuborn or doesn't have enough sense to use the tool they put out (the customer survey), then their future as a business is in doubt.
    Continue to put in the effort you do, but i'd be searching for other options.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Administrator
    What you are going through at work - you are already doing in the grand scheme of things.

You pay taxes right?

And a good portion of your tax money goes to support people on Welfare who are quite able to work but, would rather just scam the system and do nothing all day for a living.

You are just noticing what happened to you at work more because it's hitting a bit closer to home.

Right NOW the government is giving away 3 Billion dollars of our tax money so that a relatively small percentage of our population can go out and buy brand new cars.

Get used to it.
    It's only just begun and we're only in Entry Level Phase One of "Trickle Up Poverty."

jbs
    and to tag onto QK, you can transpose "start looking for another job" to start looking for another elected official/officials
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Right NOW the government is giving away 3 Billion dollars of our tax money so that a relatively small percentage of our population can go out and buy brand new Lexuses.

Get used to it.
    It's only just begun and we're only in Entry Level Phase One of "Trickle Up Poverty."

I fixed it for you.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; August 3rd, 2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add a line
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

To add a bit to that......cutting wages to save the dead weight for a second time this year. I've lost a total of $2.28 per hour since February of this year. Multiply that times 2000 work hours per year. Like you say...still have a job, but the tables have turned, and they know it. I know of way too many salaried folks who don't seem to pull their weight, and I can't help but wonder since those folks have contracts..as to where our pay cuts are going and what for. Yet the company schedules overtime every week for certain departments. Maybe we're just not seeing the big picture. Realize I'm talking about skilled labor here, and it's a buyers market these days. There may be 30,000 willing and ready to take our jobs at half the pay. Folks get weird, power tripping, ugly, and barely worth mentioning as part of the human race once this all starts to happen. If you can see it, you'll know what I mean. Those who can do unto others as they would never have done unto themselves and walk away without looking over their shoulders have to have evil in their hearts. The hearts of men, and in today's world, true men seem hard to come by. Personally, I think we live in a nation full of wussies, and just to get an average sampling, I think I work with a bunch of them, maybe more than the average. I learn this every day, and nothing seems to surprise me. From management to co-worker...best watch your own back, especially now.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    To add a bit to that......cutting wages to save the dead weight for a second time this year. I've lost a total of $2.28 per hour since February of this year. Multiply that times 2000 work hours per year. Like you say...still have a job, but the tables have turned, and they know it. I know of way too many salaried folks who don't seem to pull their weight, and I can't help but wonder since those folks have contracts..as to where our pay cuts are going and what for. Yet the company schedules overtime every week for certain departments. Maybe we're just not seeing the big picture. Realize I'm talking about skilled labor here, and it's a buyers market these days. There may be 30,000 willing and ready to take our jobs at half the pay. Folks get weird, power tripping, ugly, and barely worth mentioning as part of the human race once this all starts to happen. If you can see it, you'll know what I mean. Those who can do unto others as they would never have done unto themselves and walk away without looking over their shoulders have to have evil in their hearts. The hearts of men, and in today's world, true men seem hard to come by. Personally, I think we live in a nation full of wussies, and just to get an average sampling, I think I work with a bunch of them, maybe more than the average. I learn this every day, and nothing seems to surprise me. From management to co-worker...best watch your own back, especially now.
    As one of those out of work, who probably trusted some management when he shouldn't have, I'd reiterate the cautions to watch your back, and not make a leap before you have a replacement. We, the anxious unemployed ARE 30,000 deep waiting to step in.
    Be careful, but rant to us as you see fit!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

What you are going through at work - you are already doing in the grand scheme of things.

You pay taxes right?

And a good portion of your tax money goes to support people on Welfare who are quite able to work but, would rather just scam the system and do nothing all day for a living.

You are just noticing what happened to you at work more because it's hitting a bit closer to home.

Right NOW the government is giving away 3 Billion dollars of our tax money so that a relatively small percentage of our population can go out and buy brand new cars.

Get used to it.
    It's sad too, cause the welfare system was designed to help people who needed help. People like those who have lost their jobs in this recession. The welfare system was not intended to be a system that raised generations of voters which it seems to have become.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    It's sad too, cause the welfare system was designed to help people who needed help. People like those who have lost their jobs in this recession. The welfare system was not intended to be a system that raised generations of voters which it seems to have become.
    This is always going to be the outcome of such a system. Any system built on "need" WILL fail and completely. The only way it can work at all is by force, which is what we have today... Sad but true

I wonder...how many of those that "need" help now, would be getting the help they "need" if the folks that might actually care and would otherwise feel like helping a good bit weren't already being robbed by uncle to pay johnny dip-poo on the corner?

Good luck to the OP if you do decide to jump someweher. It's getting harder and harder to find businesses that hire or keep their employees based on the merit of their value to the company rather than seniority or "need". The auto parts industry is a prime example right now:
    What to do when facing ethical problem at work - CNN.com
    Or consider the woman from Detroit -- the head of operations at an automotive parts supplier.

"As you can imagine, we have been through many rounds of job cuts over the last few years," she wrote. "I used to be able to let go of my poor performers first, but now I am being told by the legal department that I have to make cuts based on seniority. It's not fair, and the effect on the performance of my team is devastating. Should I just look the other way?"
    ...and people wonder why the auto industry is flailing...morons.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I believe your Manager is a Coward. If you have Under-Performers that have rejected attempts to improve via counseling and have chosen not too pursue improvement, Fire them!

By stating my answer in the exact fashion above, the conclusion is implicit in the actions:

• Counsel under-performers;
    • Give them improvement goals;
    • If they meet goals, recalibrate goals and continue; If not,
    • Fire them

Under-performers hurt organizations in many way, long term and short term

To delay the inevitable is to increase the ultimate pain of dealing with the matter.................

I am not just being mean, or a jerk, I've just been through the drill enough to recognize some possibilities...

YMMV

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 Rock and Glock.

gdm320, I'm glad you're in a position to cope with the lost hours. I hope your situation improves.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Now, I would have absolutely no problem with this if this was purely a product of the times. If everyone in my store came in every day and gave a 100% genuine effort to do the very best they can, I would have no problem sacrificing some of my hours to save their job. However, we have a minimum of three employees that punch in, go through the motions, and punch out with no effort whatsoever.
    When I read the title of your thread, I instantly knew that you were in a similar situation to myself. I think that the decision to cut hours is probably an attempt to keep the team together for as long as possible with the hope that things will get better soon. In my situation, management is so disconnected from what actually happens during a work day that they haven't got a chance of making the best decision. Their only option is to cut everyone a little because they simply don't know who the truly worthless employees are.

A wise business owner might use the current situation to improve his company by trimming out the average or below average employees and taking advantage of the fact that labor is in high supply. Your boss can afford to be very picky when it comes time to hire new employees. Now is the perfect time to trade up. Have you thought of quietly suggesting a surprise drug test when it comes time to actually fire some people? That might make the tough decisions a little easier for the boss.

It's not quite as bad if you don't have to watch them while they do nothing. When laziness is rewarded right in front of your face... grr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Folks get weird, power tripping, ugly, and barely worth mentioning as part of the human race once this all starts to happen. If you can see it, you'll know what I mean. Those who can do unto others as they would never have done unto themselves and walk away without looking over their shoulders have to have evil in their hearts. The hearts of men, and in today's world, true men seem hard to come by. Personally, I think we live in a nation full of wussies, and just to get an average sampling, I think I work with a bunch of them, maybe more than the average. I learn this every day, and nothing seems to surprise me. From management to co-worker...best watch your own back, especially now.
    These people are quite skilled at doing their evil in ways that cannot be proved. Manipulation, button pushing, power games, psychological abuse, etc. are all quite commonplace amongst the animals that I have for coworkers. I'd find another job in a heart beat, if I could afford it.

Watch your back, indeed, gdm320.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I believe your Manager is a Coward. If you have Under-Performers that have rejected attempts to improve via counseling and have chosen not too pursue improvement, Fire them!

By stating my answer in the exact fashion above, the conclusion is implicit in the actions:

• Counsel under-performers;
    • Give them improvement goals;
    • If they meet goals, recalibrate goals and continue; If not,
    • Fire them

Under-performers hurt organizations in many way, long term and short term

To delay the inevitable is to increase the ultimate pain of dealing with the matter.................

I am not just being mean, or a jerk, I've just been through the drill enough to recognize some possibilities...

YMMV
    R and G,

The space between items 2 and 3 in your list is where the breakdown has occurred. The individuals have been counseled, their minimum expectations have been laid out, and they have failed to meet them. Not only have they failed to meet the goals, they are not even trending in the right direction.

One theme that I've seen is that perhaps the individuals I consider dead weight are being protected my management for other uses. What I realize that I failed to mention is that two of the three individuals I believe would could trim are on their final level of official corrective action. This means they have been through the following steps:
    • Coaching
    • Verbal Warning
    • Written Warning
    • Final Written Warning

I appreciate the words and advice guys...
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Too bad. What is interesting is that Management bonuses may be adversely affected due to the compensation plan you described:

Their lack of effort drags us down... not making sales numbers because of a lack of inspiration. The sales numbers don't effect me directly at all... but their lack of performance on customer satisfaction surveys directly effects my commission paycheck (the commission portion of my pay is entirely based on customer satisfaction with the entire store's personnel, not just my own).
    Ask the Management if keeping tree stumps around affects their compensation. Preface the question with a "Team Oriented" comment like........."I'm not complaining, or not being a "team player", but does the lack of performance by some team members adversely affect your compensation too?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links