College grad sues her school because she couldn't get a job...

This is a discussion on College grad sues her school because she couldn't get a job... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: College grad sues her school because she couldn't get a job...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

College grad sues her school because she couldn't get a job...

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson has sued her alma mater, Monroe College of New York.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain, peppering companies listed on Monroe's e-recruiting site with cover letters, résumés and phone calls. But no more than two employers have responded to her outreach, and those leads have borne no fruit.

Her complaint adds, "The office of career advancement information technology counselor did not make sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call their graduates that recently finished college for an interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me."

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said.

Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."

Thompson says she has not hired an attorney to represent her because she cannot afford one. When she filed her complaint, she also filed a "poor person order," which exempts her from filing fees associated with the lawsuit.

Asked whether she would advise other college graduates facing job woes to sue their alma maters, Thompson said yes.

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."
    Really? Why is it their problem to find you a job? Sounds to me like they were doing the same things for her they did for everyone else.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

She has now come up against the First Truth of "higher" education. Graduation with a degree means one thing, and one thing only: that you have documented proof that you've now completed something. It doesn't mean that you're either educated or employable. It won't ever mean your school owed you a job upon graduation. It merely means you've now succeeded at something. The whining in public, though, means that you also have documented proof of lack of judgment and personal responsibility. Welcome to the real world.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.
    A 27yr old, 2.7 GPA, lack of motivation and a belief she's owed personal management of her interviewing process, with a newly documented history of lack of judgment?

Next.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I'll tell you what. She gives back her degree, wages to all the professors who spent time educating her, mindwipe her so she doesn't get to keep any of the $70,000 worth of education, and oh yeah, she doesn't get back lab and materials fees. And then sure, she should get a refund.

It's the college's job to EDUCATE. Not to GET YOU A JOB. You get a leg up with a degree, but it's not a guarantee. Maybe she should blame the economy. Heck, maybe she should get her refund as part of the Obamanomics of late?

Mods, can I say Obamanomics here?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    This girl needs to wake up and smell the roses. First off a 2.7 GPA is not a great GPA. Secondly since when is it the colleges responsibility to find you a job, the colleges job is to give you the education to be able to preform in the work market.

A judge should dismiss her case against the college and should also bill the attorney for time and damages for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

jbs
    LMAO
    i cant type

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Look I was bornded in the USA you owe me the american dream
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    I look at this crap and think there is a lawyer that should be disbarred, and if some judge doesn't kick this out of his courtroom, he should be kicked off the Bench.

One of these days our "justice" system has to come to it's senses!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    This is a good idea! I want my free money too! They OWE me...

I'm going to sue my parents for not sending me to a better preschool, thus starting a domino effect that culminated in my personal inability to make a lot of money.

*heads off to the courthouse*
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

From the Bronx with a 2.7..............My first question is; can she speak Standard English???

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Good lord... I possess THOUSANDS of dollars of education in my skull that NO ONE has EVER asked for... I should join this suit...

I've been waiting for 20-plus years for someone to tap my college education... anybody... Hopefully someday, a State Trooper will pull me over and say, " License and registration, please... Do you know how fast you were going...? What is the definition of osmosis...?"

But I'm ready... "Well, osmosis is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration via a semi-permeable membrane..."

"Well, hell... you can go..."

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    But I'm ready... "Well, osmosis is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration via a semi-permeable membrane..."
    The lesson of personal responsibility should have flowed into that area of low concentration between her ears, by now. Perhaps the judge can shove it in there with a bit of judicious pressure. Osmosis. Sure.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Oh my. Lots of schools talk up their placement services and the employment opportunities their grads get when they are recruiting students. Later, the kids find out their major is useless in the job market and the employment service is a low paid clerk who does little beyond maintaining (barely) job listings and sometimes arranging for larger company recruiters to visit on campus, though many don't even do that.

I think there is a legitimate argument (which might or might not be the case here) to be made that schools do in fact mislead their students about the value of their degrees, and that some exaggerate the assistance that will be available to students as new grads.

Whether that adds up to a reasonable expectation that the tuition should be refunded or other damages be awarded, I'm certainly not convinced.

I do think many colleges and degree programs, even in well known accredited schools, are little more than scams.

It would be nice to say it is the student's responsibility to check it all out before hand, but most kids are very naive. Often they may be the first person in a family who attended college and their expectations and reality won't jibe.

It will be interesting to see if this one goes anywhere. At first blush it seems a bit over the top, but we don't know what was printed in the catalog, or said to students by school officials when they visited high schools, or by the placement service when advertising its services within the student community.

Administrator

Talking I like that Mindwipe Her Education Right Out Of Her Brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'll tell you what. She gives back her degree, wages to all the professors who spent time educating her, mindwipe her so she doesn't get to keep any of the $70,000 worth of education, and oh yeah, she doesn't get back lab and materials fees. And then sure, she should get a refund.

It's the college's job to EDUCATE. Not to GET YOU A JOB. You get a leg up with a degree, but it's not a guarantee. Maybe she should blame the economy. Heck, maybe she should get her refund as part of the Obamanomics of late?

Mods, can I say Obamanomics here?

I bet she wins....heck they paid that one lady who didn't know coffee was hot.

wow really? I don't wanna be rude but she thinks someone owes her a job due to a 2.7 GPA? I'd lose my high honors scholarship and probably not make it out of nursing school if my gpa were that low. I know other programs within a college have different expectations but I sure wouldn't be bragging that I should be awarded a job on a 2.7 GPA with a good attendance record!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links